Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1142211 - 03/07/05 06:06 PM Syncopation - freeing the right hand
Jeffrey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Right now when I do a blues improv I "match" the rhythm of the right hand with the left hand. I can do triplets, 16ths etc. with the right hand, but only in synch with the left (i.e. three notes in the right hand, for one beat of the left).

Every time I try to syncopate the right hand to make it sound less mechanical - I lose the rhythm. Do I just need more practice to make the beat in the left hand more solid? How does one practice "separating" the rhythm and beat of the hands?

Piano & Music Accessories
#1142212 - 03/07/05 06:44 PM Re: Syncopation - freeing the right hand
schuyler Offline

id suggest practicing the left hand separate a good amount...usually with this stuff...one day it just clicks and you can play the right hand freely while keeping the left in perfect time...itll simply take time.

#1142213 - 03/07/05 09:07 PM Re: Syncopation - freeing the right hand
gregjazz Offline

Loc: CA
Yeah, practice the hands separate, and use a metronome always. \:\)

#1142214 - 03/07/05 09:20 PM Re: Syncopation - freeing the right hand
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
jeffrey... believe it or not I am exposed to alot of syncopation in Catholic church music... \:\)

You can definitely conquer it with lots of practice.... You have to have your body feel and direct the syncopation to really do it well.. try absorbing the rhythm thru dance...click it with a head wag and drift back.. and let your fingers follow..

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1142215 - 03/08/05 12:32 AM Re: Syncopation - freeing the right hand
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Tap a rhythm in your right hand, and tap a different rhythm in your left..

Practice this day in and day out (without annoying the **** out of the people around you).

Their are really two parts to this: Mental and physical. Taking note memory and finger position out of the mix frees your mind to concentrate on only the rhythm. Once you master doing this on a table, you really won't have to think much about it @ the piano.

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

#1142216 - 03/08/05 07:46 AM Re: Syncopation - freeing the right hand
JazzManToo Offline

Loc: Somerville, Massachusetts
Angeleno Jazzer gives an excellent suggestion. And if you're serious about freeing up those hands during improvisation, you might consider looking at a Jazz drumming book that emphasizes independence. It will be filled with patterns to practice. Hand (and foot) independence is the name of the game for drummers. You can make up patterns yourself, just try to cover all possibilities.
Love that #11!

#1142217 - 03/08/05 08:04 AM Re: Syncopation - freeing the right hand
JazzManToo Offline

Loc: Somerville, Massachusetts
Forgot the important part: At some point you have to translate the hand independence to finger independence. And you can practice that on a tabletop (or on your leg) as well. Tap out various rhythm/fingering patterns. Separate patterns for each hand. When improvising at the piano, every time you try to play R.H./L.H. pattern that doesn't quite gel, there's a pattern to practice away from the piano.
Love that #11!

#1142218 - 03/08/05 11:23 AM Re: Syncopation - freeing the right hand
g#maj Offline

Loc: No. Va
Hi, my first post here.

Syncopation is tough because were conditioned to following the one. It can be hard to deviate from it on purpose, and harder still to return to it smoothly.

Im mainly a piano player, but when I learned bass, I read about a way to build a more fluid and controlled sense of time: Set a simple drum machine pattern (or a metronome) at around 90 or so bpm. (Use something slow enough to work with, but not so fast that you fool yourself that youre doing OK.) Then, on the and precisely between each 1-2-3-4 beat -- play a note. Play these notes exactly in the middle of each beat, right on top of the and. Play something simple and melodic, like maybe a one octave C scale. Mentally, hear the and as you play each note.

Do this one handed only, while letting your ear internalize the machine or metronomes time.

This was so tough for me initially that, when I learned it on bass, I had to use hammer-ons fingering the note on the neck with enough force and speed to make the sound (the other hand didnt pluck the string).

At first, I kept drifting back to playing notes right on top of the 1-2-3-4. But the exercise became easier, and gradually I learned to dance with the beat and play ahead or behind it with varying amounts of willful stretch and freedom. The skill transferred to piano easily, where of course the left hand took over initial timing duties and set boundaries for the right. Soon enough, though, the left started taking liberties and the right had to calm down. Piano is fun that way. Each hand has its own brain, as it were.

With good time, even the humble C scale can sound interesting. To make this exercise harder, set the bpm slower. Slower rates teach you to track the silence between the beats.

The whole experience taught me the power of rests and phrasing.

#1142219 - 03/08/05 06:55 PM Re: Syncopation - freeing the right hand
Jeffrey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Thanks for all the ideas. I tried g#'s off-beat idea today with the metronome - and I think it worked a bit. I kept going back in synch, but I kept at it and it started to sound better. Just one note in the right hand. Now I need to add more.

I will try the off-pattern hand drumming as well. I tried this a bit - but it almost hurts my brain and I get confused. I will need to practice this a lot.

Of course if I had apple's natural talent, I could just feel the rhythm ... but I think I will need to practice a lot with a metronome. \:\)

Thanks for all the ideas. I am trying all of them.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Transcribe tune
by pianomise
17 minutes 55 seconds ago
Musescore playing my dp ?
by Pollux
Today at 10:58 AM
helpers wanted, interactive PC piano teaching game
by russellambrose
Today at 08:40 AM
4 vs 3, Practice slow or fast?
by Pover
Today at 07:24 AM
Cable Nelson Upright
by Paul678
Today at 07:12 AM
Who's Online
128 registered (ando, ajames, Al LaPorte, accordeur, analarana, acollins, 41 invisible), 1499 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76251 Members
42 Forums
157624 Topics
2315229 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission