2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
D
D
Originally posted by daveferris:
As Duke Ellington said..."There are two kinds of music...good and bad".
That really depends on the musician, and the level to which HIS spirit is elevated by his playing. Music should be self-satisfying. I've heard many a musician whose spirit in which they played and the joy they received from it, transcended inadequacies in their technique.

Listen to Joe Cocker. One of the best singers there is, with so little in the way of a voice!

Some can do alot with a little, others can have 16 million colors at their disposal and still have nothing to paint.

K
K
Hey Disciple.. totally agree about Joe Cocker - stood in the wings one night when he was touring with the Grease Band - around 1968 (you and I are exactly the same vintage:-) Spine tingling vocalist.. a comment made about Bryan Ferry (though I am not so keen on him) contained some wisdom.. it was something along the lines of .. "he can only sing four notes, but he does more with those notes than most people do... etc". And thus, I agree with your general point.

I also saw Floyd a couple of times, including the first tour of DSotM, which you mention elsewhere. Simple (notwithstanding the 7/7: 4/4 "Money") but effective.
Cool

Steinway K - Kurzweil PC 88(wrecked and sold for spares) - Yamaha S90 - rhodes 760 - korg wavestation- Hammond XK1 etc..
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by Disciple:
In defense of minimalistic new age piano music (and that's not to infer that all new age is minimalistic, but merely specifying minimalistic new age to avoid confusion with the minimalistic approaches of some Lamont Young, John Cage, Philip Glass, etc. music), I've read through pieces by Ravel, Debussy, and LISZT (ca. 1870 to 1885, his final 15 years) that were VERY much akin to what I consider "new age" piano, although not my cup of tea.

Has anyone here played these later works of Liszt's?
Interesting point.

If you take for example Liszt's En Reve (1885), it sounds white and glassy and minimalistic. Lizst even exhorts the performer to avoid phrasing or accents. It is certainly not without harmonic interest however. And Schlafos (1883) in terms of visual appearance of the score almost looks like it could be taken out of an Ennio collection.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
It strikes me that those pianists and styles that are sometimes belittled or looked down upon are the ones who could rather easily be imitated by the "best" pianists - the ones who have truly mastered the instrument. For instance, I'm pretty sure that Keith Jarrett could do a passable George Winston impersonation, but I seriously doubt that Winston could closely imitate Jarrett if he wanted to. This doesn't make Winston's music worthless, but perhaps it does make Jarrett's more impressive.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
This 'New Age'music is very confusing to analyse. I cannot accept Monty Alexander as a new age pianist. 75% jazz surely.

I'm purely a jazz enthusiast and love playing the 88's for relaxation.

There have been some very good explanations for New Age but like most art, it's all in the eyes and ears of the beholder. Abstract art seems appropriate.

I have no comment to make about piano music that does not invigorate me or make me want to emulate the artist at the piano keyboard.

Jazz is an art form of music historically derived from a marching beat. And or, African slaves emotions in their new world. It spells out happiness and joy, blues and rhythms.

Let us just lie back and be grateful our senses are able to enjoy these lovely sounds vibes and soul satisfying music.

Alan (swingal)

K
OP Offline
K
In my humble opinion, the complexity of styles like classical music and jazz are partly due to the fact that when composed, the composers/improvisers were seeking to stretch the limits of their expressive capabilities and of the instruments to which they used. To evolve music and see what can be, and being more technical, complex, and fast was one way to expand those possibilities. As the piano finally evolved to it's modern version in the 1800's, you see composers expanding what a piano can do and express. There are pieces by Chopin and Rachmoninoff that I will never ever want to attempt. They are just too darn hard to put into my daily routine. And Oscar Peterson and company are amazing in their technical abilities. I'm a fan. Granted, I've played all the major composers and performed their works, even concertos, but my cost/benefit ratio draws a line at a certain point.
That being said, and it's just my opinion, new age music has found it's functional place in society as something accessible to a broad range of people, not just in intelligent classical or jazz circles. Working on the peaceful side of what a piano can do, playing less notes can equal perfection in this genre. Left hand 8ths notes are its mainstay. It brings peace to the average listener (listeners are usu. not musicians) without overwhelming.
There are millions of listeners out there with the mind set of, "hey, just give me something soft and peaceful". Slower and thinner compositions accomplish this. Hopefully the pianist performs well with quality.
To me the key word is "functional". I want to write something that helps someone through their day. And my target audience is anyone out of the 6 billion people on the planet.
To expand the far reaches of music's borders is a different kind of functionality. It is high and lofty, and few have the ability to attempt it, few also are chosen.
But the highest calling of music is to share its beauty and depth, so if I can achieve functionality and to share, I've pretty much accomplished something worthy of being heard. One can try!

Keith Phillips

www.keithphillips.net
Piano technique for all levels
www.keithphillips.net/AdvancedPianoSecrets.htm
D
D
Originally posted by keithmusic:

That being said, and it's just my opinion, new age music has found it's functional place in society as something accessible to a broad range of people, not just in intelligent classical or jazz circles. Working on the peaceful side of what a piano can do, playing less notes can equal perfection in this genre. Left hand 8ths notes are its mainstay. It brings peace to the average listener (listeners are usu. not musicians) without overwhelming.
There are millions of listeners out there with the mind set of, "hey, just give me something soft and peaceful". Slower and thinner compositions accomplish this. Hopefully the pianist performs well with quality.
To me the key word is "functional". I want to write something that helps someone through their day. And my target audience is anyone out of the 6 billion people on the planet.
To expand the far reaches of music's borders is a different kind of functionality. It is high and lofty, and few have the ability to attempt it, few also are chosen.
But the highest calling of music is to share its beauty and depth, so if I can achieve functionality and to share, I've pretty much accomplished something worthy of being heard. One can try!
It's always been that way. In their day, composers and technical wizards like Liszt and Chopin were heard and enjoyed by a very small percentage of the population. For an idea of what 98% of the population of the 1840s through 1860s listened to on a daily basis, watch the film "Gangs of NY".

The average person listened and related to "minstrels" playing accompaniament for folk and early tin pan alley-type tunes like "Oh Danny Boy".

L
L
So, I said I won't post in this thread, but it's too, too, tempting.

Let's look at a few facts:

Wikipedia, not typically a quotable source, has an honest assessment of New Age music.

"...peaceful music of various styles...intended to make people feel good...", "Some, but not all, ...is associated with the New Age movement..."

Recall the New Age movement, the neo-spiritualism movement which grew out of the 70's, renown for its focus on meditation, channeling, reincarnation, crystals, holistic health...(citing Wikipedia again).

The millions of CDs this industry sold over the past 2.5 decades re-enforces the permanence of this genre and underscores it's following. The Grammy's still recognize this genre with an annual award (since '87).

In the mainstream, musicians with the moniker of "New Age" include Enya, George Winston, Jim Brickman, Dave Lanz, of course Yanni, and many, many more (Yusef Lateef ring a bell?).

Comparing it to other music genres, classic, jazz, rock, pop, is truly moot. It can't be better or worse than. It can only be different.

It's still my opinion that the music is bland, banal, and boring. But hey! Isn't that the point. Whether I like it or not, there's a market, and entepenuers are capitalizing on it. Ah, the American Dream.

And I can speak from experience now, there is "New Age" sheet music available for the piano. Much to my chagrin, my piano instructor gave me an Easy Piano copy of music by David Lanz. :rolleyes:

It's all good....isn't it! thumb

l's dad ....ohmmm

D
D
Originally posted by lizzy's dad:
[QB] Yusef Lateef ring a bell?

Back in the mid 70s there was also a flautist, Paul Horn, who recorded a series of albums that had different sections of his playing very simple, etheral type of lines and long tones in different acoustical settings.

One track would be him recorded inside a chamber in a pyramid, another in some great hall, another in a cave, etc., etc.

The emphasis was on the acoustical aspect rahter than the notes.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by lizzy's dad:

It's still my opinion that the music is bland, banal, and boring.
Often times that is the case with new age music, especially in a concert setting. However, there are moments when it can be quite beautiful and poetic. It's good background music for creating a relaxing tranquil environment. I don't know who the best would be, but I have liked George Winston and David Lanz. However I don't intentionally listen to new age music and instead prefer pianists Wynton Kelly and Bill Evans.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
L
L
Originally posted by rintincop:

However, there are moments when it can be quite beautiful and poetic.
In many cases, I whole heartily agree. New Age music that crosses over into the main stream, for example, Enya's Oronco Flow tend to be quite popular. Popular enough to quite commercial (as in profitable for the artist and for Volkswagen)

Having said that, my opinion hasn't changed. But seeing that opinion singled out like that makes me realized ...How could I have said something so obtuse?

Sorry people.

Wynton Kelly & Bill Evans...now that's exciting music.

l's dad ...who needs to learn how express his opinion without insulting others. help

C
C
Please, please, please, please check out David Nevue .

His playing says it all.

K
K

Steinway K - Kurzweil PC 88(wrecked and sold for spares) - Yamaha S90 - rhodes 760 - korg wavestation- Hammond XK1 etc..
C
C
Him it be!

K
K
I guess, like all music, it says different things to different people..

I have listened to www.solopianoradio.com for a few years and this is the best new age pianist artist community there is. My favorites are David Nevue, Micheal Dulin, David Lanz, Greg Maroney, Wayne Gratz and Suzanne Cianni. The late Jim Bajor is one of my most favorites.

I listen to this music while I am working at my computer.

Hope this helps all those interested in this genre...

Teri from Michigan

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, Terimr!

If you get the chance, head over to the Adult Beginners Forum and check out our latest recital (a link to it is posted in the "Important Topics for Adult Beginners" thread.) Kawaigirl submitted her recording of a Greg Maroney piece that will knock your socks off.

I wasn't familiar with Jim Bajor, so I will look him up. smile

Thanks Monica! I'll check it out.. I'm really new to this forum.

I had the opportunity to meet Greg Maroney a few months ago in Atlanta at a Whisperings concert. He was amazing!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I just became familiar with Jim Bajor a few months ago through this Christmas CD.

http://musicishere.com/artists/Jim_Bajor/An_Intimate_Christmas

Teri - You, Jim and I were all apparently neighbors!

Very cool that we were neighbors.. I take it you have since moved away? Hopefully somewhere warm.. We've had a very cold and snow-filled winter!

Jim Bajor's Intimate Christmas CD is amazing... He had just re-released it before he passed away last December (2006) and copies are completely sold out.

Have you heard Jim's "Awakening" CD? This recording was Grammy nominated.

http://musicishere.com/artists/Jim_Bajor/Awakening

Teri

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission