Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#1278035 - 09/30/09 02:41 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: Swingin' Barb]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California

Yes - this is SICK. Big time SICK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq0EWNuR1H8

May I be 10% as sick please?

Piano & Music Accessories
#1278284 - 09/30/09 10:50 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: VirtuosicOne]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: VirtuosicOne

Anyway, IMO, Keith Jarrett's playing on Koln COncert was the perfect fusion of new age and jazz.

That's an excellent way to describe it. thumb Much/most of Jarrett's work wouldn't "count" as new age, but the Koln Concert surely does in my estimation.

Say, VirtuosicOne, are you the reincarnation of the PW Member Formerly Known as Virtuosic? If so, welcome back! smile

Er, if not, welcome to the forum anyway! wink

#1278345 - 10/01/09 01:34 AM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: Monica K.]
VirtuosicOne Offline

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Say, VirtuosicOne, are you the reincarnation of the PW Member Formerly Known as Virtuosic? If so, welcome back! smile

I'll have to plead the fifth on that one. wink

#1280943 - 10/05/09 03:38 AM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: VirtuosicOne]
Pologuy Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Yeah, Yanni, who would like him.....

He earned Grammy nominations for his album, Dare to Dream, and the follow-up, In My Time.

He has accumulated more than 35 platinum and gold albums globally, with sales totaling over 20 million copies.

His compositions have been included in ALL Olympic Games television broadcasts since 1988...

And yes, Glass is new age....

#1726019 - 08/03/11 04:24 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: keithmusic]
Stephen C. Offline

Current favourites include Michele McLaughlin, Eric Harry, Brian King, Brule and Carly Comando- all of whom have just been reviewed at Piano-Heaven.

Best Wishes,
Stephen

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

#1726126 - 08/03/11 07:21 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: jazzwee]
BadOrange Offline

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: jazzwee

Yes - this is SICK. Big time SICK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq0EWNuR1H8

May I be 10% as sick please?

looks like he is having some heroin nodding and body tremors. Honestly. How does one not realize they look like an utter fool at that age. Has no had the gall to just say straight up, you look like a junkie about to nod off. It would be less distracting if he just told the crowd while playing how emotional this is and how it is kicking your ass instead of those jerky body contortions.

One of the few musicians that just needs to be slapped very hard and told NO! . Stop it. It isn't cool. Slap,

#1726138 - 08/03/11 07:51 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: BadOrange]
cubop Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Loc: Norway
Jazzwee, and some others, perhaps. I wonder if it would not be nice with a: Big Time Sick Pianist thread. I think I am sick enough to qualify.
Another interesting thread would be: Todays most stupid post on Pianoworld. On this very day its really really hard to qualify for that.
Am waiting with abated breath for next entry, wherever it might turn up.

#1728988 - 08/08/11 06:57 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: bopdubop]
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
Originally Posted By: bopdubop
Philip Aaberg is by far one of my favs.
I mentioned Aaberg on probably page 1 of this thread. He is excellent. If you like High Plains, get Live From Montana.

#1735827 - 08/18/11 12:49 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: gryphon]
Stephen C. Offline

Yes, I enjoy Philip Aaberg- I love the album Blue West, especially the track where a passing train honks its horn in a piece about the railways during a live performance, much to the amusement and delight of all concerned.

Anyway, I am assuming that if you're reading this thread, you must have an interest in New Age piano or contemporary piano music if that is your preferred term.

To that end, I am hoping that as many of you as possible would like to give some exposure to artists that you enjoy listening to. If there is an album or even if it is just a track that you think deserves wider exposure, please submit the information to me by visiting the web-site below (and following the link).

New-Age piano has given me so much pleasure over the years, that this is just one tiny way in which I can give something back.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Stephen smile
www.piano-heaven.co.uk

#1770616 - 10/14/11 03:28 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: keithmusic]
Stephen C. Offline

Well, two great new albums to tell you about: There's a new Bernward Koch album out entitled 'Silent Star', with some beautiful piano melodies, and there's a great Chad Lawson CD just released called 'The Piano'. Both are excellent, and are reviewed in full at www.piano-heaven.co.uk

#1771111 - 10/15/11 02:38 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: keithmusic]
jazztpt Offline

For those that don't care for Keith Jarrett how about John Taylor
John Taylor - Summer

Absolute master pianist and musician ,this music has such depth - actually this is not New age piano in any sense of the word and IMO Keith Jarrett should not be mentioned in any conservaton about it either.

Of course I am a bit biased, Keith Jarrett is my favourite pianist and John Taylor a close second cool

Piano Recordings

#1771163 - 10/15/11 05:04 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: keithmusic]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
I thought classifying oneself as a "new age" player disqualified one from "best" anything - by definition.

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#1778774 - 10/28/11 12:53 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: jazztpt]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
Originally Posted By: jazztpt

John Taylor - Summer
Of course I am a bit biased, Keith Jarrett is my favourite pianist and John Taylor a close second cool

Thanks for that jazzpt. I just came across your posting and listened to this piece. I haven't heard of John Taylor before. Really enjoyed listening to this piece and upon doing a bit of research see that he has a very extensive output of recordings both solo and with others. I shall listen to more of his playing.

#1813112 - 12/27/11 12:31 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: keithmusic]
Stephen C. Offline

I don't normally like music that is from one company that we find over here in England in "new agey" type shops- but this one was a real surprise, which I found in a run-down shop in the Lake District! It is entitled, "Piano by the Sea" and is by a company called Global Journey. The sound of waves is present throughout, but the eleven piano melodies themselves are all very different and pleasing to the ear.

A review is posted at www.piano-heaven.co.uk along with the opportunity to listen to one of the tracks in full.

Best Wishes to everyone.
Stephen

#1876102 - 04/09/12 09:20 AM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: keithmusic]
Stephen C. Offline

Well, if you like original contemporary piano music, I think you'll love Michele McLaughlin's new CD, 'Breathing in the Moment', containing fifteen melodic and very personal tracks. I love it, and have just now reviewed it for Piano-Heaven.

Definitely worth checking out!

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

#1944909 - 08/18/12 06:58 AM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: keithmusic]
Stephen C. Offline

WOW! Just been blown away by the incredible music of Jennifer Thomas- piano and orchestration-. Her new CD is entitled 'Illumination'. 73 minutes in length, and every one of the 17 tracks is superb. This is not gentle piano music- this is piano with attitude! The CD is reviewed at www.piano-heaven.co.uk and there are samples at the composer's website.

This CD must surely be in contention for a Grammy.

Best Wishes to everyone.
Stephen

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

#1955898 - 09/08/12 12:32 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: Stephen C.]
fish-n-musician Offline

Loc: Woodstock,GA
for all you folks commenting on this subject, I would agree with a lot of what has been said. I am a pianist and I consider myself in the ranks of George Winston who is one of my faves by the way along with Liberace. Some have mentioned Danny Wright and if you like his stuff then I would think you would really like mine. I have 30 albums with some new ones in the works, I sing some and have written 3 albums worth of music which 2 are out currently. I feel a lot of the folks on this site like piano so, I think you would like mine since these are the people who have been buying my music since the early 90's and still do at festivals and shows. www.cdbaby.com/all/gerestimusic has a lot of samples and my site has 1 for each album but is the whole song. Look forward to hearing back from you as I accidentaly came across this site. Bob

#1988733 - 11/19/12 10:20 PM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: fish-n-musician]
Saint Del Offline

Loc: So Cal
The original Windham Hill Piano Sampler was my intro to this music followed by Piano Sampler II and many of those artists have remained favorites of mine. I found the Windham Hill artists to have more depth in their compositions than say the Narada artists, whose compositions sometimes lacked development, were more superficially sweet yet not ultimately satisfying. I understand the charges made against this music, that it is mostly fluff and no substance, and this is often true. Nonetheless, there is some good stuff there too. Yanni, hover, to my mind is among the worst, can't stand his music. An exercise in vacuous grandiosity is the only way I can describe it.

#1989650 - 11/22/12 02:33 AM Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? [Re: keithmusic]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
There are many New Age radio stations on Web, it should help to specify this genre a little. IMHO, most of the videos in this thread have nothing to do with New Age. I can't stand them for more than 10 seconds, so they must be Jazz :-)
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Initial Thoughts on Left/Right Hand Independence
by Visalia
09/19/14 01:23 PM
Questions regarding Schafer and Sons VS52
by Tankster911
09/19/14 12:42 PM
Transcribe tune
by pianomise
09/19/14 12:16 PM
Musescore playing my dp ?
by Pollux
09/19/14 10:58 AM
helpers wanted, interactive PC piano teaching game
by russellambrose
09/19/14 08:40 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (255, ajames, 36251, accordeur, albumblatter, 39 invisible), 1483 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76251 Members
42 Forums
157628 Topics
2315262 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission