Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1147196 - 02/09/06 08:33 PM which program to use?
Meredith A Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hi,

I'm asking this question for my piano teacher who is not at all computer-savvy.

She has three software programs and would like to record her midi piano output and convert it to standard music notation to speed up her music-writing tasks. Currently she has to place all the notes manually using her mouse.

I'm hoping some of you could comment on which might be the easiest for her to use for this purpose. We understand that there is some amount of editing required in all cases.

The three are: PrintMusic, Cakewalk Scorewriter, and Finale Home Studio.

All three software packages claim to be able to perform this function. Home Studio looks to be overkill to me. She doesn't need any sound-editing capabilities. Probably better to have something simple rather than too complex/confusing.

Thanks!

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1147197 - 02/16/06 11:36 AM Re: which program to use?
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Let me bump this thread and ask my own question as well.

My son just started composition class with a prof at William & Mary. At first she said we should get Finale ...that it was the gold standard for composition. The bloody thing costs $350, and that is WITH an academic discount. Ultimately, she was able to find a copy for us, but in that time I emailed the company and they said that PrintMusic was all that we would need. This program costs only $70.

We downloaded PrintMusic for a 30 day trial, and so far it works fine. We can email my son's compositions to his teacher and when she brought them up in her Finale program she said they seem to have all the functionality she gets in Finale itself.

Does anyone have experience with these programs to tell us the differences between them?

Best,

David F
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1147198 - 02/16/06 11:56 AM Re: which program to use?
Ozor Mox Offline

Loc: Hampshire, England
I have PrintMusic 2006 and as far as I know it is basically just a "lite" version of the full Finale program. Unless you're a professional composer, I don't think you'll come across the limitations of PrintMusic.

You can see the features that Finale has that PrintMusic doesn't here

They're pretty advanced features, at least from my level of composition looking at them!

#1147199 - 02/16/06 02:35 PM Re: which program to use?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
I believe there is an upgrade path from PrintMusic to Finale should your son need to upgrade.

Finale has definitely been king of the hill for quite a long time. This, despite the steep learning curve. However, Sibelius is making inroads in a big way. I know this is anecdotal, but it appears to me that most of my colleagues prefer Sibelius these days.

#1147200 - 02/16/06 02:49 PM Re: which program to use?
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Thanks. I can't imagine my 12 year old needing the extra tools of Finale any time soon.

PrintMusic does have a steep learning curve. It's not as intuitive as most kid-oriented programs are. This means old dad has an advantage over the son for once. I've been quicker at figuring out pathways and commands than him thus far.

I just heard about Sibelius last weekend. Finale has all the first-mover advantages in this game. Any institution -- like a music department -- will be reluctant to support multiple platforms. Resources are limited, after all. Sibelius is going to have to be a quantum leap ahead and/or substantially cheaper.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1147201 - 02/16/06 05:26 PM Re: which program to use?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
 Quote:
Any institution -- like a music department -- will be reluctant to support multiple platforms. Resources are limited, after all. Sibelius is going to have to be a quantum leap ahead and/or substantially cheaper.
I will admit up front that I'm indeed biased here. I've used Finale for over 15 years. I used to use a lesser known program for the Mac called Composer's Mosaic as well. It's only in the last few years that I've begun using Sibelius. Like Mosaic, I find it to be more intuitive than Finale. But unlike Mosaic, I find it to be as powerful as Finale. Finale isn't about to lose it's foothold in the publishing arena anytime soon, but Sibelius is no longer an upstart as it's being used by some of the more prestigious schools and musicians in the world.

From the Sibelius website:
 Quote:
Sibelius is endorsed by the Royal Academy of Music and is used by all the major music academies and colleges: The Royal College of Music, Trinity College of Music, Kings College Cambridge, The Julliard School, Berklee School of Music, The Sibelius Academy in Finland , The Royal College of Music in Stockholm
Also, consider these users:
http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius/users.html

#1147202 - 02/16/06 08:58 PM Re: which program to use?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
I talked to a composition professor about what composition software to go with. He said his students use either Sibelius or Finale. So it implied to me the university didn't have a certain one out of the two that was required.

#1147203 - 02/17/06 12:34 PM Re: which program to use?
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The full versions of Finale and Sibelius are overkill for about 99% of all students. The lite versions (PrintMusic for Finale and Sibelius Student Edition) are best for students and much more affordable. PrintMusic is around $70 and Sibelius Student is $99.

You should also know that these applications are not cross-compatible. (Yes, I know Sibelius can open ETF files, but it's an extra step that confuses a lot of people, plus I've had several ETF files that would open...)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1147204 - 02/17/06 01:40 PM Re: which program to use?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kreisler:
The full versions of Finale and Sibelius are overkill for about 99% of all students. The lite versions (PrintMusic for Finale and Sibelius Student Edition) are best for students and much more affordable. PrintMusic is around $70 and Sibelius Student is $99.
[/b]
I have actually been planning to purchase Finale's PrintMusic. The main thing I've been debating over between that and Finale or Sibelius' high end version is the playback features as in realistic sounding instruments and the variety of instruments.

How is the PrintMusic in terms of what it offers for instruments and how they sound for playback?
I was wondering primarly if it would be worth the extra cost to get the high end version of Finale or Sibelius just because of what they offer in instrument sounds. Any opinions?

#1147205 - 02/17/06 03:18 PM Re: which program to use?
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
This is what I use:

http://www.notation.com/

Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1147206 - 02/17/06 06:02 PM Re: which program to use?
Arjen Offline

Loc: Groningen, Netherlands
Sarabande: I have Sibelius 4 with the included Kontakt Silver player, including 'realistic sounds' of instruments like piano and strings. It's nice to get a basic idea of how it sounds but hardly more usefull for composing then the basic MIDI soundset of a soundcard and the soundquality is way too low to make proper recordings with it. Don't worry about the sounds if it is just for composing and if you want to make recordings get yourself a midi sequencer and some quality VST instruments instead.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (ajames, albumblatter, Abby Pianoman, Alex-SapRenovation, A Guy, 37 invisible), 1797 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156302 Topics
2295523 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:03 AM
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission