Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
152 registered (ajames, 36251, accordeur, Alegretto, 44 invisible), 1778 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1147260 - 01/06/06 03:15 AM Creation or aberation?
hanna2222 Offline

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Sometimes I think that what is "wrong with me"
is what is also whats "right with me"...the
thing that makes it hard for me to do well in
normal school...ADD seems to be the part that
works best for me in terms of originality and
creativity and uniqueness.
Do you feel that your creativity is a symptom
of a brainwave problem (in scientific circles)
or a celebration of things working particularly
right within you?
And what the heck do they know anyway?
And who ARE they to suppose they know
so much?
Bean counters with no imagination?
Beauty is in the eye/ear of the beholder.
I loved A Beautiful Mind....the line blurred
between brilliance and insanity. I can honestly
say there've been many times I felt like
I'd crossed that line.
Now that I take medication...its easier to
cope...but life is a bit less edgy and exciting.
I have enjoyed the comforts and peace of
sanity though!
Enough 3 AM rambling in Ohio.
Thanks for letting me share.
2. How he treats those who cannot
fight back.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1147261 - 01/06/06 05:46 AM Re: Creation or aberation?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I once wrote a paper that shocked my psychology professor and my best friend (a currently-getting-her-Ph.D.-in-neuropsychology friend) in one shot. The paper was titled, "The Curse of Genius", and now, because I'm writing a novel with the same title and based on the same things, I cannot talk about its contents.

But I will say this: you're right. In my estimation, mental illnesses are not handicaps, but signs of genius that individuals are never taught how to harness properly because society looks upon them as "diseased", and so, like a river flowing without banks, these sparks of genius becomes handicaps, wandering where they choose instead of being applied to solve problems. (All that's in the paper...I'm safe talking about that. ;\) )

But that's about all I can say without typing the whole paper, or without going into more detail on the subject of my other novel. ;\)

#1147262 - 01/06/06 06:06 AM Re: Creation or aberation?
seebechstein Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: houston
It is not a "novel" idea that individuals who are "gifted" in certain areas aren't necessarily "blessed" but instead, are actually just "abnormal."

There are those folks who will perform a few standard deviations below the average on an IQ test, and there are those who will perform a few standard deviations above. It's not necessarily "better" to be in the latter group!

#1147263 - 01/06/06 08:46 AM Re: Creation or aberation?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
I would venture to say all musicians have some kind of at least emotional "quirks" and that's why we are in music in the first place as an outlet to express those emotions that cannot otherwise be expressed.

I read a book a few years back, "Love is a Choice", regarding codependency. It's not just related to alcohol but can show up through obsessions with less obvious to outsiders things like a "shop-aholic", rage-aholic, computer-use-aholic, etc." But the book said if you put everyone on a scale of 1-10 everyone would fall in the category of codependency with varying degrees with no exemptions. I have yet to meet a single person void of emotional "quirks". A lot other than physical make-up is placed on us from this thing we call "life" and no one is exempt from it's influences.

Music is a wonderful, wonderful gift available to all as a great outlet for our emotional expression. We can express deep within what we can't with words.

Didn't Einstein have some kind of emotional thing that plagued him? I thought I heard something like this. Anyone care to list other famous people who rose to genius and greatness out of a mental or emotional "handi-cap"?

#1147264 - 01/06/06 09:36 PM Re: Creation or aberation?
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I think creative thought is a higher natural function of the human brain and therefore I do not regard any of these activities as in any way aberrant. Putting it another way, of the people I know whose habits I would term aberrant, most create absolutely nothing. Conversely, most creative people I know are pretty stable and happy with their abilities.

This question is a restatement of the old Wagner versus Milhaud issue. Wagner's philosophy was that only angst, conflict and struggle produce worthwhile art; Milhaud asserted the contrary. Both approaches might produce valid music but commonsense directs me to embrace Milhaud's position rather than Wagner's as my working philosophy.

#1147265 - 01/07/06 06:23 AM Re: Creation or aberation?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Conversely, most creative people I know are pretty stable and happy with their abilities.
I've never met a stable, happy and successful artist (of any kind)...and there are four of 'em on my Mom's side alone. ;\)

Maybe after they've struggled to make it, they may eventually find some method of finding stability and happiness, but until they reach such a ripe age, it is strife, largely, that gets them by.

#1147266 - 01/07/06 03:51 PM Re: Creation or aberation?
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
That's interesting. Perhaps the proportion of Milhauds to Wagners is smaller than I thought. I have never bothered to strive in order to create and I am quite happy to work in isolation with no external gratification. "Making it" therefore has never concerned or interested me.

On the other hand, I may not be an artist at all in any accepted sense and so remain incapable of assessing the general situation. That hypothesis cannot be easily excluded.

#1147267 - 01/07/06 05:42 PM Re: Creation or aberation?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted2:
That's interesting. Perhaps the proportion of Milhauds to Wagners is smaller than I thought. I have never bothered to strive in order to create and I am quite happy to work in isolation with no external gratification. "Making it" therefore has never concerned or interested me.

On the other hand, I may not be an artist at all in any accepted sense and so remain incapable of assessing the general situation. That hypothesis cannot be easily excluded. [/b]
I agree that "making it" is generally not the primary concern of any artist, but I would content that through such success, it leads, in many circumstances, to the possibility of a surface on which you can rest your feet. Interestingly, I've only ever seen artists take solace in the stability of a significant other. I've seen them try to wash away their inner struggles through any number of means, but obviously to little avail. In the ultimate struggle for understanding, I think artists find themselves understood the least. ;\)

#1147268 - 01/24/06 03:34 PM Re: Creation or aberation?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
I donít believe in stereotyping people into a neat little package. Iíve known many musicians and composers and their outlook on life has been as diverse as any other individual in other fields.

Best, John

#1147269 - 01/24/06 06:38 PM Re: Creation or aberation?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
Good point! "laugh!"

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Restoration referrals needed
by Dewdman42
12/19/14 12:38 PM
Single note with a "harsh sound"
by i1lsia
12/19/14 12:23 PM
Schaff Bros baby grand piano $300
by Paul678
12/19/14 11:24 AM
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159986 Topics
2349441 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission