Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1147343 - 12/23/05 11:02 PM MIP - Frost's, A Patch of Old Snow - Collaberative Comp.
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
Quote from Fiesta Figero on collaberative composition main thread: "Each person will choose a poem from Frost's "Mountain Inteval". Choice of poem is on a first come, first serve basis and one claims a poem by starting their thread."

I am planning to use "A Patch of Old Snow" for the collaberative composition.

I've got the thematic material worked out in my head and have just begun writing out a little. It will start out in a minor key. - May or may not stay in that key the whole piece, I'll have to see. It also seems like it's going to be in 6/8 time. Will be a short piece. The tempo will probably be Adante or maybe a little slower in places at least. Probably somewhat dissonant unless I change my mind on that. I'll get back when I'm somewhat further along.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1147344 - 12/24/05 01:31 AM Re: MIP - Frost's, A Patch of Old Snow - Collaberative Comp.
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
good choice sarabande, I'll go ahead and do the same thing I did in signas thread which is to just give you my own personal evaluation as to how I would initially at least consider approaching this particular poem so that perhaps it inspires you in your own ruminations.

for those that haven't read it:

THERE’S a patch of old snow in a corner
That I should have guessed
Was a blow-away paper the rain
Had brought to rest.

It is speckled with grime as if 5
Small print overspread it,
The news of a day I’ve forgotten—
If I ever read it.

it's a simple, short, charming little work and evokes in me a feeling of longing and reverie or inner reflection because I think the snow is in a sense becomes a metaphor for anything long gone and forgotten but whose traces remnants still are perceivable in places like the old corner.

It personally gives me this feeling and mood of time suspension, like causes me to almost look around my room and look for old discarded things that represent something from the past, memories long gone but I think most importantly if you analyze it is when he says "if I ever read it.." which to me implies not simply a metaphor for those patches of old snow in our own lives but compels one to think of memories you've never had (i.e. 'newspapers you never read'). What I mean is, it's like imagining an old abandoned building and inspecting all of the furniture and heirlooms and other artifacts that might be laying around and imaginging what those things could have been, could have represented to someone a long time ago, that's the type of mood of remniscience and inner contemplation that this sort of inspires in me so I would somehow attempt to express that feeling of longing for the past mixed with uncertainty of memories or things long forgotten, and erased by time "like tears in rain" to quote my favorite movie blade runner lol. But yea, there's 2 approaches with that, you can do it tinged in major to represent a happy longing for yesterday's memories or a sorrowful one in the minor or a little of both I guess.

#1147345 - 12/24/05 10:05 PM Re: MIP - Frost's, A Patch of Old Snow - Collaberative Comp.
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Requiem A.,

Thanks for taking the time to post your ideas on the poem. I was thinking along very similar lines on the idea of the meaning. After I'm done writing the music I will post an explanation of what I was thinking the poem means. Actually quite a few of the other poems I couldn't quite grasp the meaning and strangely enough this one made more sense. I think this whole project is going to give me a little education on Frost's poetry as well through what other's do with their pieces. It is going to be predominantly minor with some dissonance as I said, so if I do put anything major in, it will only hint at major in places if at all. Also, although I said Adante, it will start out that way but the tempo is going to vary quite a bit at least rhythmically.

#1147346 - 01/09/06 08:03 AM Re: MIP - Frost's, A Patch of Old Snow - Collaberative Comp.
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just an update. I've had the whole piece worked out for quite some time. It's just a matter of writing it out in notation form. I'm planning to get some notation software soon so may wait and test it on this piece. I've kind of been sitting on it pouring my energy into other areas. I haven't heard from anyone else but a couple members who already have recordings posted on their pieces. I may work on it little by little but not rush to get to it unless I start seeing others are still working on theirs then I might get on it sooner.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
67 registered (Alex Hernandez, Atrys, Akshay, 19 invisible), 1089 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251177 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
04/20/14 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
04/20/14 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
04/20/14 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
04/19/14 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
04/19/14 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission