Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1147499 - 10/29/07 04:50 PM Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I want to be able to share sheet music I'm working on with others. Is there a program I could download (for free) that will let me create some musical score?

Which would you recommend and why? \:\)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1147500 - 10/29/07 04:55 PM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There's a free version of Finale called Finale Notepad:

http://www.petersreviews.com/finale_notepad.html

http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/

#1147501 - 10/29/07 10:54 PM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I found the free Finale notepad too basic for my needs (I've got a full version on my other computer), but it depends how complicated your scores are. Is there a free version of Sibelius as well?

#1147502 - 10/30/07 12:38 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member

How's the full version of Finale, anyway? Honestly, the biggest problem I have with any audio-related application is that they seem to be irritatingly counter-intuitive to use, so you either need to spend hours to figure the simplest things out or you end up giving up out of sheer frustration.

#1147503 - 10/30/07 12:46 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
gundala Offline

I use Sibelius

#1147504 - 10/30/07 01:41 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by Strat:
How's the full version of Finale, anyway? Honestly, the biggest problem I have with any audio-related application is that they seem to be irritatingly counter-intuitive to use, so you either need to spend hours to figure the simplest things out or you end up giving up out of sheer frustration. [/b]
Yes well it is a bit like that \:\) . My full version is pretty old, because having spent all that time learning how to use it, I couldn't face learning any changes, so newer versions might be actually easier to use, if I only had the courage to try. The time-consuming thing for me is working out what to call that thing i want to do so that I can then look up how to do it. But having worked it out, I can say that it does everything i want it to do, and the results look very good. I don't use the play-and-have-it-notate-for-you features, so I can't comment there. I just use it like you would use a word-processor for writing words.

#1147505 - 10/30/07 05:37 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
I use 'Music Publisher'. I found it easy to use, and very powerful.

You can download it free and try it for as long as you want, but you can't print or export files without purchasing the liscense. I forget the price , but it,s not very expensive.

#1147506 - 10/30/07 06:57 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
Boira Offline

Loc: Barcelona
I use Sibelius 3, and I'm happy with it so far.

#1147507 - 10/30/07 09:05 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
There isn't a free version of Sibelius, but they have recently offered a student version of the software for $99 US.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1147508 - 10/30/07 10:10 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
Steve Chandler Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
As a user of Finale 2004 and earlier version going back to 1990 it got much easier after Sibelius came out. What I find cool is that there are commands in the quick entry tool that are also in the step time tool (flipping stems, etc.). I'm sure the current version is not only easier to use, but sounds better as well.

My looks at Sibelius have been very brief and shallow, so I can't offer any comparisons.

#1147509 - 10/30/07 10:14 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
http://lilypond.org/web/

I'd recommend LilyPond. It may not be easy to use, but it makes *beautiful* sheet music.

#1147510 - 10/30/07 10:31 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I'm going to try LilyPond per your recommendation. My mental backlog of compositions is becoming unmanageable. If I died today, they would be lost. Whether they are worth preserving, of course, is for the jury to decide.

Don't click here!

#1147511 - 10/30/07 10:40 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
It's not for everyone. If you are looking for WYSIWYG, look elsewhere.

I kind of like it, though, and am going to use it. This represents the kind of simple, to-the-point thinking that characterizes open source solutions. There is not a lot that can go wrong with this product, and the output seems to be of a high quality.

If you happen to be a software programmer or otherwise in the technical fields, or remember simple computer music composition on early computers from the 1970's, this is a great little program.

Kudos for the heads-up!

Don't click here!

#1147512 - 10/30/07 10:30 PM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
Allazart Offline

I use lilypond once I have settled on the score.
In the initial stages, I prefer to use noteworthy composer.

#1147513 - 12/13/07 09:31 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
Art of the Fugue Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I tried Lilypond a long time ago and wasn't impressed by the output, but looking over their website recently it seems they have improved a lot.

The interface (plain text) hasn't changed much since I tried it.

It can be hard to learn. So can using Sibelius if you really want something to look a specific way. Having used Sibelius recently I see you can get a long long way and get beautiful output just using their outstandingly well written manual.

But to get to the point where you can typeset practically anything and have it look just the way you want is going to take a lot of work and study no matter what program you use, so...

I find myself interested in Lilypond once again, because ... free program and free upgrades for life on any operating system, and the possibilities of what you can do with it as far as printed music goes are quite literally endless.

Obviously I'm really biased because I am a computer programmer, so make of that what you will.

P.S. The main advantages of plain text are:
- It encourages you to be precise
- Easily compare revisions
- Always copy and paste the exact scope of formatting you desire

#1147514 - 12/13/07 09:37 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Another one to look for is MagicScore Maestro. It doesn't have the limitations of Notepad and is much more reasonable than the full version of Finale.

Rich

#1147515 - 01/13/08 11:36 PM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
JamesD Offline

Loc: Brandon, MS
I use Sibelius 5 connected to a MIDI keyboard on my iMac and this works great. Printing is done on a wide-format inkjet printer.

#1147516 - 01/14/08 01:49 AM Re: Is there a PC program to write sheet music for piano?
Late Beginner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: West Australia
Hi,

I've been using Finale Notepad and it's been good enough for my modest needs.

But if you want something that is cheap, intuitive and does exactly what you want, then you really can't go past printing out some blank scores, using the old fashioned pencil and pen method, and then using a photocopier or scanning it into the computer. \:\)

Sometimes, with a bit of an upgrade, the old ways still work OK. ;\)

Cheers,

Chris

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (accordeur, ajames, AmateurBob, albumblatter, Abby Pianoman, 38 invisible), 1799 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75595 Members
42 Forums
156302 Topics
2295527 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:03 AM
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission