Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1147629 - 07/18/08 05:32 PM My first non-piano composition
Age_of_Anxiety Offline

Loc: home
This is a short piece for string quartet. Don't be afraid to listen, it's very exciting and stays interesting, IMO.

If you can open Sibelius files and would be interested and seeing that (so that if you have a keyboard you can play it back with a better sound than MIDI) PM me.

Here's the MIDI: http://www.box.net/shared/0wyfzzyo8k

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1147630 - 07/18/08 05:51 PM Re: My first non-piano composition
Terimr Offline

Loc: Rochester, MI
Hi Age..

You can create an account at http://www.box.net/
then attach your file for sharing. I did this with a MIDI file for the first time earlier this week, but it sounded "tinny".

I am about to learn how to record from my digital piano to free online software from site http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/ , which I am told converts MIDI files to Mp3.

I certainly hope this helps. I am sure there are many other ways to accomplish your posting -perhaps other members will share. I'd love to hear your composition!

Good luck!

Teri

#1147631 - 07/18/08 06:01 PM Re: My first non-piano composition
Age_of_Anxiety Offline

Okay, thanks. That was easy.

http://www.box.net/shared/0wyfzzyo8k

#1147632 - 07/29/08 01:58 PM Re: My first non-piano composition
gemiknight Offline

Loc: Coldwater, OH, USA
It sounds very busy to me. It sounds like you've spent a lot of time composing each separate part so that there's lots of motion, but where is it going? No climax, just movement. Like I'm running on a treadmill from an imaginary being. Lots of things happen in the plot, but there's no story to feel any emotional attachment. (But it is a MIDI recording, which is rarely ever emotionally captivating.)

HOWEVER, it's very cool in the sense that I could see it in a retro video game. Definitely a boss-level course.

There's my two cents. I don't mean to sound arrogant, I just want to give you my honest opinion. Constructive criticism, you know. ;\)

#1147633 - 07/29/08 05:35 PM Re: My first non-piano composition
James McFadyen Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
It's a bit too typical Sibelius point and click music.

It lacked any form of thematic development and the harmony was rudimentary and rather diatonic.

If you want to be a good composer, it's not about creating what you think is exciting, it's about well structured form and design. Something that develops, ebbs and flows and contains a variety of harmony to pull the listener into an emotional response.

As a side note, Sibelius and other notational packages have made anybody become a composer, or should I say give the illusion that you are a composer. Sibelius is one of the worst software packages available and those who think it's great are either 1) being paid to say it's great 2) aren't very talented composers or 3) are lazy and think that writing by hand takes too long.

If you want my honest opinion, dump the software packages, get loads of manuscript and 2B pencils and hone in your perfect pitch skills and let your brain (not your fingers/mouse) do the composing... I think someone could write a very good PhD thesis on the 'psychology of composing classical music using a software package' like Sibelius.

I'm sorry, I lack attention to give constructive criticism. The internet is littered with post of 'oooo listen to my great piece I composed on Sibelius in 5 minutes!!". I worked hard to develop my composing skills and I'll be buggered if I'm letting people off by cheating their way through. You have to earn respect not instantly want it.

#1147634 - 07/31/08 01:43 AM Re: My first non-piano composition
Age_of_Anxiety Offline

gemiknight: Yes, it is too busy. For some reason, I made a lot of effort -effort which I now understand was unnecessary, if not wasted- into making every voice have something to play all the time. An old-school composition professor who is what I would call my mentor pointed this out to me. I have been working on putting some rests in, but now I don't know. Devillish's post was quite discouraging. Maybe I'll start fresh, maybe even give it a go without software.

Devillish Publishing: Maybe you're just jealous? Just kidding. Take it easy, though.

This is the only time I've composed a piece with software. For all my previous pieces, I've composed at the piano and then used the software for notating it. Keep in mind, I'm only 17 and most of my theory is self-taught. You're right that I need to work on my relative, if not perfect pitch. I have experimented with composing without an instrument or software, but never anything for more than two voices.

"It lacked any form of thematic development and the harmony was rudimentary and rather diatonic."

Yes, it lacked thematic development, but wasn't void of it. But your idea that the harmony was rudimentary and diatonic I disagree with completely. The beginning, for one, is atonal. The harmony, which, I'm surprised your trained ear didn't notice, is heavily quartal, as well as the melody. As for the more melodic, Dorian part, I directly modulate down a step in two instances. I used no modulation guide for this. Then, the middle section is again quartal.

"If you want to be a good composer, it's not about creating what you think is exciting[.]"

If that were true, I'd end my composing career before it ever started.

"As a side note, Sibelius and other notational packages have made anybody become a composer[.]"

To some extent, true, but what if someone used a notational package to compose (I know there's no such thing) the most beautiful piece ever? Would that ruin it?

"The internet is littered with post of 'oooo listen to my great piece I composed on Sibelius in 5 minutes!!'."

I'm glad you appreciate my work. You seem to adjust well to developments in useful, harmless technology. Besides, more like 5 or more hours.

" You have to earn respect not instantly want it."

Maybe I'll have yours once my wrist recovers and I record and post one of my piano compositions. Keep in mind, this will not be a software-aided composition.

EDIT: I might add that last year was my second year in a row to win a state-wide senior high composition contest.

#1147635 - 07/31/08 01:51 AM Re: My first non-piano composition
Age_of_Anxiety Offline

Oh, I just remembered I already recorded it. There are a few mistakes, but it will be better than waiting. I'll have it up tomorrow, if all goes well.

#1147636 - 07/31/08 02:27 AM Re: My first non-piano composition
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
A-of-A, I liked it!

So it was a bit same-y in texture, but I could see the possibilities for it being part of a SQ movement, with maybe a central section of contrasting movement or texture. It made me want to go away and write a central section, actually \:\) . Or maybe if you're thinking of keeping it short, you could write a few more of similar length, to make a little suite of contrasting SQ movements.

There are so many things you can do with the SQ medium - it's no wonder composers have gravitated towards it for so long. You may want to study some for more ideas.

I'll be interested to hear more of your music. And I think it's a good idea if you've mainly composed at the piano to try another method. If you're writing for SQ then you still have to use your imagination, whether you're doing it at the piano, at the computer, or at your desk. Good luck!

#1147637 - 08/06/08 04:18 AM Re: My first non-piano composition
Kurisu SARU Offline

Loc: a small 4 cornered room with m...
I have to say I agree with Devilish...

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Tuner Recommendation
by DancerJ
09/22/14 03:58 PM
Opening a Kawai ES7
by ColoRodney
09/22/14 03:32 PM
Kawai MP11 black key noise?
by rungabic
09/22/14 11:35 AM
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
09/22/14 09:31 AM
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
09/22/14 08:55 AM
Who's Online
136 registered (Arizona Sage, accordeur, ajames, Anne'sson, 39 invisible), 1697 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157692 Topics
2316253 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission