Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1147682 - 01/04/06 11:40 PM If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
hanna2222 Offline

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Beethoven.
2. How he treats those who cannot
fight back.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1147683 - 01/04/06 11:59 PM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Beethoven or Bartok. Both have such an awesome (if radically different) sound.

#1147684 - 01/05/06 12:04 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New England
wellllllllllllllllllllll...

interesting question...

first thing that came to mind is...

would you REALLY want to compose music like *someone else*????

if someone twisted my arm, my answer would be chopin or........rachmaninoff.

OH.

\:\)

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000

#1147685 - 01/05/06 01:10 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
Mozart

Schubert

#1147686 - 01/05/06 01:17 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I am not the slightest bit interested in emulating anybody. Of course I like many characteristics of much music, but any desire to imitate vanished many years ago.

#1147687 - 01/05/06 07:31 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New England
I'm with you Ted2. I'd rather be myself, imperfect as I and it (my music) may be.

\:\)

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000

#1147688 - 01/05/06 08:14 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
Chopin. Definitely.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#1147689 - 01/05/06 11:00 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
Beethoven

#1147690 - 01/05/06 12:44 PM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
matthewpiano Offline

Loc: North West United Kingdom
Can I please be Chopin AND Beethoven?

#1147691 - 01/06/06 05:52 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
It's difficult to say. I'm stuck between Beethoven, Liszt and Rachmaninoff (but only Rach's 2nd and 3rd piano concertos).

I suppose, over all, I'd go with Beethoven, but I'd have to stick some Lisztian pianistic writing in there or I'd go insane not having anything "impossibly difficult" to play. ;\)

(The last thing I wrote, a fantasy in C-sharp minor, I was told sounds like there are five hands on the piano. But it's actually a very simple piece harmonically-speaking. It's the octaves that get to you... ;\) )

#1147692 - 01/06/06 08:56 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
Beethoven - too complex, and too many notes! I like his music but one look as his scores and immediately I say, that's a lot of notes chalked in there! Sometimes, opening a book of his Sonatas to choose one, I've said to myself, wow, look at all those notes, close the book and move on to something else. \:\) .

#1147693 - 01/06/06 09:54 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
 Quote:
Originally posted by sarabande:
Beethoven - too complex, and too many notes! I like his music but one look as his scores and immediately I say, that's a lot of notes chalked in there! Sometimes, opening a book of his Sonatas to choose one, I've said to myself, wow, look at all those notes, close the book and move on to something else. \:\) . [/b]
ROTFL! This reminds me of the movie Amadeus. "Too many notes!" said the Emporer.

#1147694 - 01/06/06 10:02 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
yellowville Offline

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Easy: Chopin!

#1147695 - 01/06/06 01:23 PM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

my teacher likes Mozart and Brahms, but not Beethoven. when i asked why, he pointed out some passages from Beethoven's sonatas (appassionata etc), and told me how 'unpianistic' those passages're. but still, i'd stick to Beethoven!

#1147696 - 01/06/06 01:42 PM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
matthewpiano Offline

Loc: North West United Kingdom
 Quote:
Originally posted by signa:
my teacher likes Mozart and Brahms, but not Beethoven. when i asked why, he pointed out some passages from Beethoven's sonatas (appassionata etc), and told me how 'unpianistic' those passages're. but still, i'd stick to Beethoven! [/b]
I hate this term 'unpianistic'. To me its just an excuse for people who can't be bothered to find the solution to particular technical problems and it really isn't a reason for discounting someone like Beethoven. One of the great things about the 32 sonatas is that they test the extremes of what is possible on a piano and using ten fingers. The challenges make them incredibly rewarding and fascinating to learn and play.

#1147697 - 01/06/06 03:49 PM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

i agree with you, matthewpiano. but my teacher meant more than just that, since he also said those passages're not 'interesting' from a pianist point of view, as Brahms would do with a passage like that - making it more interesting: as my teacher played a passage from Brahms's 1st piano concerto (1st movement) where LH do trills over the RH theme. i had much to argue with him (and i did), but i also saw his point. i always like Beethoven more though.

#1147698 - 01/06/06 10:44 PM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
Sostenuto1016 Offline

Loc: Pineville
Beethoven- Composed with such fire and passion

and expressed it so clearly on the piano. I wouldn't like to compose "like him" but to compose with his "abilities"

#1147699 - 01/07/06 06:17 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
 Quote:
but my teacher meant more than just that, since he also said those passages're not 'interesting' from a pianist point of view
I'd be wary whenever someone says something like this, no matter who they are. Some people find things interesting, others do not. But nothing in a subjective environment is ever so objective as to be universally applicable. ;\)

#1147700 - 01/07/06 01:05 PM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
I hope I can compose my way into as great a niche as did Scriabin or Ravel. Both were so unique and off on their own that noone has since come close to approaching either! Not to say I would write music exactly as either did, just with as great an individuality as they did.

#1147701 - 01/07/06 01:14 PM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
L'echange Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Romney WV
Myself, I would not want to compose like anyone else, because I am me.

I would like to be as organized and planned as Ligeti, Berg, or Shoenberg.

I would like to be as abstract as Cage

I would like to be as logical as Riley or Reich

I would like to be as colourful as Messiaen

I would like to be as transcendtal as Beethoven

-Albert Camus,

Jim

#1147702 - 01/08/06 01:29 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
steinway222001 Offline

Loc: Australia
Although I'd like to compose like 'myself' with my own original ideas I would love to have some of Satie's characteristics - his amazing ability to portray his emotion through his work and allow the pianist to also feel this when they play it. I just love the eerieness and the hypnotic atmosphere that he can create.

#1147703 - 01/15/06 10:19 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Republic of Macedonia
To many notes?! hehe \:D

#1147704 - 01/24/06 11:08 AM Re: If you could have written music like anyone, who would it be?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
I would agree with L'echange. Almost like asking a person who would they rather be.

As quoted by a famous philosopher (can't quite remember his name) "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam".

John

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
10/24/14 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
10/24/14 04:49 AM
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
10/24/14 04:01 AM
Ritmuller Grand Pianos - Help!
by Mike RSA
10/24/14 03:56 AM
J.D.Grandt Bass Strings Opinions Please
by chernobieff
10/23/14 11:48 PM
Who's Online
75 registered (Al LaPorte, arX, angga888, 36251, Adypiano, 16 invisible), 1097 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158464 Topics
2327045 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission