2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1147705 04/29/07 01:29 AM
nodakpa Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello -
I'd like to know more about commissioning a new composition. In the coming years I would like to support talented composers by commissioning some things - mainly keyboard work for piano and harpsichord in various permutations. How do I go about doing this? First of all, I haven't heard any new compositions for keyboard that strike me as particulary valuable or noteworthy - just a lot of atonal musical babble. :rolleyes: Sorry, that's my bias, and I'm not alone.

Is there a forum for traditional composers where you can listen to their work, learn about concerts, purchase recordings, contact them, etc.? Multiple types of searches on the internet were fruitless.

Thanks for any help.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would love for you to listen to my compositions. No babble here but rather wonderful, romantic melodies. I won't be offended if my music doesn't
"catch your ear" because I know that those who like my style will love my music.

thanks for listening,
rada
www.pianopassions.com

ps.....fyi...although I've been playing the piano all my life, writing didn't come to me until later in life.....

nodakpa Offline OP
OP Offline
That's lovely - I love "Snowfall". Very evocative and beautifully realized.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
thanks for that compliment.....that is a response I frequently get to the song "Snowfall".....thanks for listening.

rada
www.pianopassions.com

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Please have a listen to "In such a Small Place" on my audiostreet page or "Rhapsody" on my Soundclick page (links in my sig). They're not atonal, but neither are they extensively diatonic. This being the composition forum I could launch into a discussion of the difference between atonal and extended chromaticism, but perhaps not now.

FYI, the two pieces are very different. "In such a small place" is a lament at the inability to craft peace in the middle east. My "Rhapsody" is a large scale virtuosic work based on just three or so thematic ideas (though it certainly doesn't sound it).

As for how to commission a work. Find a composer you like and make an offer. Most composers will be immensely flattered and eager to communicate on the matter. Busy composers such as John Adams , John Corigiliano, Joan Hightower or Jennifer Higdon may be slower to respond, may not write in your preferred genre, or may be just slower to respond and more expensive. I'm sure Rami or Jeff Biegel (both citizens of this fair domain) would be happy to discuss a commission. I do, of course, hope you might consider me.... but listen to my music first.

EDIT: Commissioned works are most successful if some avenue to performance is arranged in advance.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't have any samples available at the moment, but I'll throw my hat in the ring for consideration. My music is definitely tonal, though not excessively diatonic. As for style, I deal mostly in romantic type music, with some elements of impressionism and 20th century styles.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
You should check out ASCAP's commissioning guide, which they wrote in conjunction with Meet the Composer. You can find it here .

Although not every one of ASCAP/MTC's points needs to be addressed in writing, it's important that you and the composer that you decide to work with give each its due consideration.

And since the commissioning fee will probably be based on the length of the piece, it's important that you state in writing that the piece will be between X and Y minutes, not to exceed Z minutes.

Both you and the composer should be, for lack of a better word, protected from each other in writing. Although I always find the thought of "protecting myself" from friends and colleagues uncomfortable, it's reassuring for everybody knowing that everything has been thought out, and that should something go wrong, there's a remedy already in place. The best commissioning experiences that I and my colleagues have had have been the ones where all considerations have been addressed in advance.

Know, though, that even if it's on paper, everyone can still be very flexible. The paper is merely a safety net in case things go sour. A little good faith can go a long way.

That said, the commissioning process is extremely, extremely rewarding. I've been on the receiving end of nearly 2 dozed commissions, and each experience has been very positive. I've also commissioned several works from my colleagues, and the results have been wonderful.

Listening to composers on MySpace Music may help also. You can also have a listen to some pieces I wrote smile http://allison.bobtrix.com

As a pianist and composer I have written a lot things for the piano....and chamber works, etc. The works are by no means atonal...but they are modern and edgy.

"If I could come up with a version of I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" in unusual timbres, produced,
for example, by using beer cans, the interest in my music might suddenly become enlivened."-Harry Partch
N
NWS Offline
N
One resource you could try which was already briefly mentioned is 'Meet the Composer'. Their web address is:

http://www.meetthecomposer.org

Of course the price/scale of these commissions would likely be far out of most peoples reach (and taste for that matter).

I am a composer and pianist, and I spent about 5 years teaching piano to children as well as adults a while back (I composed quite a bit of very simple educational type material for that). Within the past few years I myself have received a number of commissions, and am always interested in new projects.

My site is here:

http://members.sibeliusmusic.com/shirley

That page includes some of my piano music (sheet music as well as MP3s), and a link to my site regarding music commissions which may prove interesting to you.

Of course the hardest part about commissioning is finding an artist/composer who aesthetically and stylistically fit what you desire. I have looked very hard myself and only on rare occasion have I stumbled upon a real gem. I haven't found a good resource filled with such gems unfortunately.

Best of luck to you!

~Nathan Shirley

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission