Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
144 registered (accordeur, 36251, ajames, 46 invisible), 1608 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1147840 - 05/14/08 05:31 AM Someday
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
I wrote this for a pop ballad but never came up with lyrics for it.

Play mp3
http://texas-trax.com/music/pia/someday-hi.m3u

Download mp3
http://texas-trax.com/music/pia/someday-hi.mp3

Score
http://texas-trax.com/scores/Some-Day.doc

--

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1147841 - 05/14/08 09:55 PM Re: Someday
saerra Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
\:\) Pretty, kind of wistful. You should work on getting your lyrics in there!

Thanks for sharing it.

#1147842 - 05/15/08 07:29 AM Re: Someday
Terimr Offline

Loc: Rochester, MI
The melody is beautiful..and your chord progressions are very interesting! Nicely done.

#1147843 - 05/15/08 10:47 AM Re: Someday
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the comments Saerra, and termir.

I appreciate your taking the time to listen and reply.

#1147844 - 05/19/08 02:16 PM Re: Someday
dave18 Offline

Loc: California, USA
Wow, I really enjoyed listening to this piece! Thanks for sharing. And thanks for sharing the score as well. I really like your technique in playing the various chords. I'm a beginner so I look forward to studying what you've done a little more closely. I hear arpeggio chords in there, but they seem to extend longer than mine ever do and they don't sound like 1st 3rd 5th 8th, so I can't wait to get a "closer look". \:\)

Also, I agree that you should write some lyrics for this. You've definitely got something here. Another route could be to add some additional instruments; I think it could be turned into quite an instrumental (even though it sounds really nice on just the piano).

Thanks again, and nice work!
dave

#1147845 - 05/19/08 05:27 PM Re: Someday
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Dave, glad you liked it.

Good luck studying the score, and let me know if I can be of any help.

#1147846 - 05/20/08 07:52 PM Re: Someday
dave18 Offline

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the offer of help. I've printed out the score and gotten through the first two grand staff lines, i.e. the first 7 measures. From the key signature and chords, this looks to be F Major (at least in the beginning). I'm trying to follow the chord progressions and I'm having some difficulty... they are really well integrated into the melody. Some stand out like C Major (V) in the 3rd measure and Bb Major (IV) in the 4th measure. Regarding chord progression, would the FF in the 2nd measure be considered a "chord" of sorts? Namely, would this count as the I chord? Then the progression would start I-V-IV.

I know the progression gets even trickier as it goes on, but I just wanted to see if I was on the right page so far.

Thanks again for the help!
dave

#1147847 - 05/21/08 07:06 AM Re: Someday
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, the piece is in the key of F major, except for the bridge section on page two in Ab major.

The second measure is F with an added 9th temporarily in the LH and should be played with pedal down for the whole measure.

The 3rd measure looks like C at first glance because of the C triad in the RH but notice the bass note is A. So this chord is Am7 (iii7).

4th measure is Gm7 (ii7).

The 5th measure (1st measure of 2nd line) has 3 chords. F maj7/Gm sus4/C7

The 6th measure is same as measure 2 and the 7th measure is A7

The A7 resolves to Dm at the 1st measure in line 3 and then Bb in measure 2 of that line.

I will go through more of it later as needed.

Hope this helps.

#1147848 - 05/22/08 05:31 PM Re: Someday
dave18 Offline

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the response. OK, I see I wasn't including the bass when figuring out the chords. So measure 3 is iii7, measure 4 is ii7, and measure 7 is III7. OK, I can see those now. Since measure 1 is a leading note and measure 6 is the same as measure 2, that just leaves me with measures 2 and 5. "Just". \:\)

Regarding measure 2, I see the 9th in there, but I would have said there was a 10th in there as well. Is that "A" note in the bass serving as the 3rd in that chord even though it's an octave higher?

As for measure 5, there's a lot going on in there! First of all, I got a couple of notes wrong, so that made it a little more difficult. Now that I've got those right, I see the F major 7 (I7). I can also see the Gm sus4. It looks like it could also be called C sus2. But I assume you stick with Gm sus4 because G is in the bass? As for the final chord, I could make C7 if the "E" note in that bass line E-Bb was a "G". Is there a possible mistake there? Or am I just reading it wrong?

Whew, barring a couple of minor issues, I think I've got it. Up to measure 7, that is. I think once I've got these down, I should be able to move forward much more easily.

I do have one question, though, that runs through all of the measures. It has to do with the notion of "chord progression" and rhythm. In measures like 3, 4, and 7, you play a chord at the beginning of the measure and then follow with a melody that takes from that chord. In that sense, the melody is formed from arpeggio chords. In the other measures, there is no initial chord, but there are always at least two notes played in the beginning of these measures as well. Is it these multiple notes at the beginning of a measure--whether they form a chord or not--that make up the rhythm? Also, when considering the "chord progression", would we just consider the rhythm, or would we sometimes consider the arpeggio chords that make up the melody?

I hope this last question makes sense. I'm really struggling to tie rhythm and melody together in my own work, and you've done it so well that I can't help but think that you understand what's going on. \:\)

Thanks again for your help! This piece, and your help, have been great! \:\)

dave

#1147849 - 05/22/08 09:38 PM Re: Someday
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Dave,
Maybe this will help. The top notes in the RH are the melody. These are the notes a singer would sing if there were lyrics. everything else is accompaniment. The arpeggiated chords in the LH along with melody notes and occasional chords in RH create the chord progression. The timing is such that the melody notes occuring right after the LH arpeggio seem to continue the pattern, but are really a part of the melody. The melody is the most important part and should be heard as a melody.

You're right. Measure 2 LH arpeggio is 1, 5, 8, 9, 10. I think of that A as a 10th. but you could hear it as a 3rd.

Gm sus4? Yes because of the D and Bb flat following in that arpeggio I call it a Gm with the melody note providing the sus4.

The last chord of measure 5: Notice the C note of the melody is tied into the chord. And in context it functions as a dominant to be resolved in the next measure to the tonic (F). So it is a C7 first inversion. I didn't put a 5th (G) in that chord because I like the more open sound like it is but I still hear it as a C7.

In measures that begin with only 2 notes, the LH note is the base note for arpeggiated chord that follows and the RH note is a melody note.

#1147850 - 05/30/08 11:26 AM Re: Someday
AKPianogal Offline

Loc: Mississippi
It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

#1147851 - 05/30/08 04:57 PM Re: Someday
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for listening Pianogal. And I appreciate the comment.

#1147852 - 06/23/08 10:18 PM Re: Someday
dave18 Offline

Hello again Joe!

Sorry about the LONG delay there... I hate to have done that right in the middle of an analysis like that. Ugh, I haven't even been able to play for the past few weeks now. I'm going to play a little now, but I just wanted to say thanks again for your help. I've still got the printout sitting here on my desk. \:\)

Quote:
The last chord of measure 5: Notice the C note of the melody is tied into the chord. And in context it functions as a dominant to be resolved in the next measure to the tonic (F). So it is a C7 first inversion. I didn't put a 5th (G) in that chord because I like the more open sound like it is but I still hear it as a C7.
I do notice that tie... oh, OK, I see what you're getting at now. The main function of that whole little bit there is to serve as the dominant, so that's why it's a C7 (slight variation of V) and not something else. OK, I think I get it. Wow, that's pretty cool.

So I guess if you had a simple I-IV-V-I thing going, you could add all kinds of variations in and around those four chords, but the basic structure would remain the same.

Thanks again! And really, sorry for the long absence. It wasn't intended, but there it is. As I get more time, I'll be exploring this piece some more. It's already sparked a lot of new ideas! \:\)

Take care!
dave

#1147853 - 06/28/08 05:43 PM Re: Someday
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Dave, Just now noticed your last reply. Glad you're getting back to playing.

Back to meas. 5, The C melody note first functions as a sus 4 with the Gm arp. in the LH, and is held through 'til the LH resolves the chord to C7. Kinda tricky huh?

Hope you have fun with it.
Joe

#1147854 - 06/28/08 11:12 PM Re: Someday
dave18 Offline

Quote:
Glad you're getting back to playing.
Thanks! Ah, it feels good, too! \:\)

Quote:
The C melody note first functions as a sus 4 with the Gm arp. in the LH, and is held through 'til the LH resolves the chord to C7. Kinda tricky huh?
OK, back to measure 5. That is kinda tricky, and cool too. But I just noticed... although the C sticks around for the C7, the G from the Gm arpeggio is done by the time of the C7, so you just have E-Bb-C (with no G). Is that still a C7 because the G just ended and it was "close enough" to contribute? Or is it a C7 because the third is somewhat optional?

Very cool... you definitely know what you're doing here. Thanks for the explanations, too. It's really great to be able to correlate the "by the book" rules with what's actually happening in a piece that I like. The variations... you gotta love it! \:\)

Thanks again,
dave

#1147855 - 06/29/08 05:21 AM Re: Someday
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dave, I think I left the G out of that C7 because it makes fingering easier and smoother, but it's ok to put one in if you like. Or hold the bass G for two more beats. But to do that would require a pretty good stretch with LH or use RH to play the Bb.

I remember experimenting with a G between the E & Bb and thinking it sounds better (more open)without it.

I am very happy that you are enjoying it.
Joe

#1147856 - 06/29/08 07:01 AM Re: Someday
James McFadyen Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
I think there's something quite charming about this piece.

I do think there is too much focus on chord 1. Try to throw in a chord 6 instead or even chord 2.

This could give you a more refined modulation entry, replace chord 1 with chord 2 giving you [Gm7], this can instantly make way for [Eb Maj7, 9] and then straight into your Db key change thereafter. Give it a try and see what you think.

#1147857 - 06/29/08 08:18 AM Re: Someday
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks James for your evaluation. I assume you're talking about the tansition to the key change. I tried your suggestion and it does work. You must be a jazz musician lol.

In pop music, a sudden change from tonic to 6b is quite common, and in this case, since the melody note F is common to both F and Db chords, it works and creates the effect I wanted. (a sudden mood change).

Thanks again for your comments, much appreciated.
Joe

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need Help About Accidentals
by Batuhan
12/19/14 03:29 PM
REPOST: Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano
by kaustin
12/19/14 03:10 PM
Upright dampers not damping much, what to look for?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 01:26 PM
Restoration referrals needed
by Dewdman42
12/19/14 12:38 PM
Single note with a "harsh sound"
by i1lsia
12/19/14 12:23 PM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159989 Topics
2349495 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission