Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1148092 - 05/29/08 03:10 PM I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
Lennon Aldort Offline

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Hi everyone,

I just "wrote" this new piece for piano. I haven't written any sheet music yet, but all the main themes in this piece are not improvised. I do a lot of solo piano improvisation as well, but this piece is mostly written, in my head. Maybe 10% or 15% of this recording is improvisation.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xjZgexd25ZI

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Lennon Aldort
http://www.lennonaldort.com

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1148093 - 05/30/08 03:52 AM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
MOZART47 Offline

Loc: SUGAR LAND TEXAS USA
Very nice style.. reminds me of Chopin...

#1148094 - 05/30/08 03:34 PM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
Lennon Aldort Offline

Thank you!

#1148095 - 05/30/08 04:00 PM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
alglasser Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Hello, Lennon.

Lovely piece...so soothing and "meloncholy" (I hope I spelled that right). You have talent there, Lennon. Teach, compose...do something with your music...it is a gift!

Alan in Rhode Island

#1148096 - 05/30/08 04:19 PM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Wonderful music, Lennon! Thanks for sharing.

Out of curiosity, do you plan on continuing conservatory studies? What did you think about NEC?

#1148097 - 05/30/08 04:29 PM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
Lennon Aldort Offline

NEC was large, and therefore had it's share of lesser teachers, but it also had a decent amount of extremely good teachers.

I am planning on continuing studies in the music school of the University of Washington, once I move to seattle this fall.

Honestly though, my formal studies in music haven't really affected my style of composition, or my ability to come up with melodies. I began composing music at age seven, with no lessons. I do want to resume formal musical studies (particularly in the areas of composition, orchestration and harmony) because i'm planning on being a film composer.

I'm glad you guys liked the piece. I have to admit I am relatively proud of that piece compared to other pieces i've recorded recently, so i'd really appreciate it if you helped me spread the word about it. \:\)

#1148098 - 06/01/08 10:26 AM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
IpsoPhatso Offline

I enjoyed that a lot! It's probably no surprise that my favorite piece that I've written was with an "angel" on my mind. \:\)

This isn't really a suggestion, as I love the piece how it is, but towards the end when you started with some chromatics in the melody, instinctively I thought you were going to "break out" into a fast and heavy section, as a contrast to the slow "singing" of the beginning and middle. I suppose that is just what I get after listening to so much Liszt lately, those bombastic endings.

Very nice work, and if you ever get around to transcribing it, (believe me, I know what a pain it is when you already have it in your mind completely), I'd love to take a shot at playing it myself! \:\)

Keep up the good work.

#1148099 - 06/01/08 12:08 PM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
Lennon Aldort Offline

In earlier recordings of the piece (outtakes, when it was more improvisation than composition) I would break into a wild part, but it just didn't work for me. The wild part didn't describe the girl at all.

And yes, it's true, with certain things in mind, our best works are extracted. \:\) Maybe we just discovered Mozart's secret!

And I suppose I should transcribe it. \:\)

Thanks!

#1148100 - 06/04/08 12:55 PM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
Ludwin Van Beethoven Offline

Loc: Livingston
I could'ent stop listening to it! :twisted:
Your brilliant! i made up a lot of songs, but there short > \:\(

#1148101 - 06/04/08 12:57 PM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
Ludwin Van Beethoven Offline

Loc: Livingston
Lennon, give me piano lessons...

LOL!

#1148102 - 06/08/08 03:02 AM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
Lennon Aldort Offline

Thank you! \:\)

#1148103 - 06/24/08 03:42 PM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I just saw this thread. Lennon, that was beautiful. I really liked the theme that started at 3:09. \:\)

#1148104 - 06/24/08 08:28 PM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
Terimr Offline

Loc: Rochester, MI
You are truly gifted. Thank you for sharing!

#1148105 - 06/25/08 06:14 PM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
James McFadyen Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
It was OK. I was a bit put off by the fact you write the piece for an "angel" you saw recently. Is this metaphorical for a woman or an actual angel of the God variety? To me, both are a little creepy!!

The music was not what I'd call cutting edge and lacked any form of artistic worth. To me it sounded like someone who listens to Chopin and Liszt a lot and decided to write a piece of music one day.

If you are not serious about being a composer, then you have done well but if you are serious then you have a long way to go. Music like your Serenade is not the classical music of today and therefore as a composer of today, you'll have to branch out a bit further than Chopin. A good bit further!

Have you discovered Stravinsky, Ligeti, Adams, Reich or Rorem yet?

I do not think you are gifted. I think you have a Piano playing talent; as a composer, sorry, it's a no from me. Why? Because if there is only one rule you follow when being a composer it's that you must develop your own compositional voice. To simply compose in the style of is not being a composer.

So, well done for trying, no one can dispute your playing skills. Try to get out more, relax with friends and discover new and exciting music/composers.

#1148106 - 06/25/08 11:41 PM Re: I just wrote a new piano piece called "Serenade for an Angel"
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Blunt though it may be, I have to agree with James. What you have is "nice", but it really isn't anything new. To be honest, a lot of it just sounded like riffing around with some ideas, but no real development of those ideas. While it may be pleasant on the ears, it isn't all that interesting from a compositional standpoint.

I disagree with James' assessment that you are not gifted, though. While this piece may not be the ultimate in new composition, I do think you have potential. But as James pointed out, I think you need to break from the romantic style a bit and explore something new.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (aesop, 36251, aDino, ajames, 32 invisible), 1553 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156332 Topics
2296007 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
August Piano Bar, drinks on the house
by Peyton
49 minutes 26 seconds ago
I just read this at the Yamaha FAQ website
by BrianDX
Today at 09:21 AM
Schimmel DUO piano
by wimpiano
Today at 08:56 AM
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
Today at 08:16 AM
Who's gigging with MP11
by 36251
Today at 07:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission