2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 7 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
I always thought "Isn't she lovely? Isn't she
wonderful?" the song I think Stevie Wonder
wrote about his new infant was such a special
and joyous piece.
What events/people have inspired you to write
new music?

The truest insights into a person's
character are two things:
1. How he treats people who cannot help him.
2. How he treats those who cannot
fight back.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, I am writing music for two of my sister's weddings, my Dad's birthday, I try to write music for special occasions as much as possible, as music was always first meant to serve a purpose, before it became "art" music in the 19th century.

For special people... well, IMO, everyone is a special person, but yes, it is really exciting to be writing a piece for that extra-special someone wink

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I do this often but only retrospectively. That is to say it is second nature to me to capture some moment of transcendent beauty or significance in music. This can even happen without my knowing it. For instance I might create something and then, listening to it, realise where its source lies.

Writing deliberately for an occasion or a person "in advance" of the act, so to speak ? No, now that I come to think of it, never. That's a revealing question, hanna2222, although precisely what it reveals about me I wouldn't have a clue.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
Online Content
Much of my music has been written for people I have a special affection for. One of my favorites is called "A Beautiful Child of God" and was written for a very beautiful (inside and out) lady. I would describe it as a love song within a hymn.

I first play it for a group of friends (the lady being one of them) and then told them who it was written for. She nearly fainted and then began to cry. Unfortunatly, the friendship did not "blossum".

I would love to share it here if only I knew how to attach the link to savefile.com. Anyone willing to walk me through it?

Rickb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry I can't help you with the save.file thing although I could use the directions myself. I think that I read the directions posted elsewhere on one of the other forums but can't remember where I read it. I'd be interested to hear your piece.

As far as writing for a person or occasion, for my brother's wedding,I made up a beautiful wedding song but as at the time I didn't know anything about how to turn it into score form, etc., I never have taken time even since to try to write it out. I dreamed of ideally having it be performed at their wedding and how wonderful it would be but as I said didn't know how to turn the idea into a reality so it never came to pass frown . I still have all the words and melody memorized, can even sing the whole thing, think it's very beautiful but still never took time to write it out. My brother has been married now for over 10 years. I could probably at least write out the melody and the words if I took time to now. Maybe writing about it will give me the incentive to put it into score. Maybe when I get my new notation software I'm planning on getting sometime this year.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I usually write music when I'm bored. But my writing (with words) usually came about because I was afraid, lonely, depressed, angry, confused, heart-broken (<---used that one a lot), etc. It was my cognitive therapy, which I self-implemented before I even knew what cognitive therapy was. I basically wrote something every time I was having "girl problems". If a girl turned me down for a date, well...poem. If it was an especially heart-breaking turn-down, maybe a short story. When I broke up with a girlfriend, it was either a short story or a novel concept that got me through it. Two women in my life in particular got complete novels dedicated to them. One of the novels is currently 2/3 written, but since the other happened much more recently it's still in the early draft phase.

And then there's my "life's work" project. Started thinking it up at 12 years old. I created an entire world and imagined myself as the "god" of the world so that I was safe and nothing could happen to me. I started writing it down when I was 16. Now, the project is so huge if I don't finish it myself, nobody else could even begin to fathom the depth of my world based on what's currently written. It was a life-changing event, the day I started writing that one down, though I will never reveal the circumstances that made me write it. That one's just too personal...far deeper than any break-up.

Hope that gives you an idea of "me" and "writing". wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Yes, I've written music for others. Ones I can remember. I have written...

One for my husband (and me). smile

A waltz for my piano teacher. She seems to like it.

Two different pieces for two different PW members. I was thinking about them as I was working on the music, so it seemed to me the music was being written for them.

One for someone I was MAD at that I called "Unimportant". I gave this guy (a friend of mine who is an amateur pianist/composer) pieces of my music on a CD; a piece of my heart on a hard piece of plastic. First time I ever had the guts to have someone else listen to my music on a CD. It took 2 and a half months for him to get around to listening to the CD. During which time I was trying ever so much to be understanding and patiently await. I failed miserably at that, feeling alternately, understanding, mad, sad, frustrated and, finally, just plain ANGRY. We had a TALK about this whole thing, we're still FRIENDS. laugh

Now the difficult one. One I'm wondering what to do about. I have a friend whose son passed away. As I was writing the music, it felt like his presence was in the room with me. I really felt like it was music coming from, about, for him. This was a bit emotional for me. The piece ends with notes that sound very much like a heartbeat. I haven't told my friend about this... I'm wondering how it might be received; maybe it's best to just keep this to myself? It's actually been over a year now since he passed. I thought I'd at least wait a while before making a recording and giving it to my friend, as this is obviously a very emotional situation for her and her family. Any thoughts about this? Would you want the music if the music was for you? This is a tough one.

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
1. Wrote a song for my best friend.

2. Wrote a ballad the day the first Gulf war ended, about that war. I actually dreamed the song after getting home from a surgery. I woke up about 3-4 am and quickly wrote the lyrics down before I forgot what I dreamed, then the chords and melody. First time I ever wrote a song in a dream, ie. that saw myself writing the song down in my dream, and what I was thinking. Strange dream. Wish all songs I write would come so easily.

3. Wrote a song as a tribute for the heroes of 911 and also for the fallen Veterans of other wars, debuted it for a Vets. Home Ceremony.
It's my best song probably and the hardest one to write as there was so much emotion involved. I will likely record it and demo it perhaps. Plans are also in the works to make a choral arrangement of it.

I feel I need to do more composing; I have been so busy with performing music lately and I miss creating my own music.

Intersting question.

To Jeanne W.
I'd lean towards making the recording and giving it to your friend; but maybe talk to a clergy person first or a grief counselor.

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
4. I wrote a song about my grandparents and how they met on a radio show they sang on as musicians, married, and had a family. The song mentions how hard my grandfather worked and his travels as a musician (and his old martin being tied atop the car along with the other band instruments, as they drove long trips to gigs in the cold midwest weather).I gave the song to them for a Christmas present.

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The 911 song was the first song I ever wrote on the piano, the others I wrote using the guitar.

I am curious to see what I will be able to write now that I am further down the road with the piano.

I do think I need to concentrate my efforts on songwriting when I get some time and energy to do so.

H
OP Offline
H
Dear Jeanne,
About the song for the son who passed away.
I definitely think you should either make
a CD of it, or play it live for her. It could
be a lovely tribute, either to his anniversary
of passing, or his birthday...both tender times
for grieving family members.
See how it is received before you give a lot
of details about what you experienced during its
creation.
I once spent the night in the home of a couple
whose son died in an accident. During the night,
the son wrote an epic poem and dictated it to me...I couldn't do anything but write it down
and present it at breakfast. He was highly
insistent!
Thank God I did. It turned out, it was the
father's birthday that day (which I didn't know) and he saw this as a Birthday Gift from the
next dimension and was so touched. He later wrote
me a lovely note, thanking me for helping him
believe his son survived into an afterlife. It
was a turning point in his deeply held grief.
Without risking sharing the poem, he might
not have had the healing.
I think this woman would be honored that
you took the time to write some music in her
son's memory.
Intuitively, she'll sense its true source...
even if she can't hear it yet cognitively.
But I believe you. Its exactly as you say it
is.
Channeling music and mediumship are nearly
identical processes for me.

fight back.
Its very interesting for me to write music for a certain person. I wrote a special beautiful peice for my parents, and another one for my sister. Then my friend wanted me to make a piece for her.....a peice that would describe her......this one I am currently working on......its quite difficult for me to create a piece that describes her because I have so many ideas....but I'll get it all out.

My music reflects me......and my mood.....[Monica]
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I appreciate the advice about what to do with that one piece of music. Thanks, everyone. I'm still thinking about it. First I'd need to record it, anyway. Have to wait for my piano to be tuned, which will actually be SOON. smile

Wolfmist: I have written a piece of music for 9/11 also called "Remains - September 11, 2001."

An idea. If enough of us who have written a piece of music for 9/11, we might think about self publishing a music CD. Each of us would probably best contribute a certain amount of money to cover the cost of having it made (I'd do it), and then sell the CD with all proceeds going to the 9/11 fund.

This would be a bit after the fact, but this day and all of the people affected have NOT been forgotten.

We might even have a chance of selling a decent number of copies if we issue a press release. There's a chance the newswires would want to pick up on the press release; it might go nationwide. This would be good PR for PianoWorld, too.

Just an idea.

Jeanne W

P.S. How many of you have a 9/11 song or would contribute one?

P.P.S. I think one of the things that was unanticipated about the first PW CD is SO MANY people contributing. It turned into a massive CD with hours and hours of music. Theoretically, a 9/11 CD with only *original* music would contain a LOT less material. There are many pianists here; composers are fewer in number and the amount of material for the CD would hopefully be more manageable. ???

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
P.S. How many of you have a 9/11 song or would contribute one?
Sorry, not in a million years.
1. I don't consider myself good enough to portray something like that.
2. So, I don't think I should. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
H
OP Offline
H
I wrote a 9/11 song called "First Christmas"
and made a copy for all my family members and close
friends that Christmas. I don't think they
liked it much..but I'm happy to submit it to
the "editorial committee". Perhaps in this
context it would have a life. I did send it
to various radio stations, etc. but no response.
But I love the idea of putting together
something like this and would also happily
contribute for the CD creation.
I use a place called Dove Enterprises
(they have a website) and their production
is very reasonably priced, quick turnaround
and good quality)...but you may know of an
even better place.

fight back.
I've been trying to write a love song for my secret "you like them since you were small but don't want to reveal it to them until the time is ripe" person.......

you know, that kind of person?

I love writing sad songs though. (those I mostly keep to myself though wink )

The T

"Surely I have written better things"
-Beethoven speaking about the moonlight sonata
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i wrote a piano piece for a long time friend (since middle school) to remember the 1st summer when we started knowing each other; and another dance piece for a friend who danced ballroom with me. haven't written anything for anyone else since...

Online Content
Still haven't figured out how to add the link but here's the site if anyone cares to type it out. If you do, please listen to it musically as opposed to technically as it's far from perfect.

savefile.com/files/6633763

Rickb

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rickb119:
Still haven't figured out how to add the link but here's the site if anyone cares to type it out.
just 'copy' the http address of the link, and then paste it to your message. or, use 'full editing' mode and select "URL" button and paste the link there.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Sostenuto1016:
I've been trying to write a love song for my secret "you like them since you were small but don't want to reveal it to them until the time is ripe" person.......

you know, that kind of person?

The T
Yes, I know that person well. I've found the longer you wait, the longer it takes for the time to ripen, to the point where excuses crop up and you build reasons not to tell them, and eventually you've moved on to different lives and the opportunity is lost forever. <---Don't be that guy. wink

"Carpe diem."
"There's no time like the present."
"Indecision is the worst decision of all."
"You only live once."
"Chance is the power to change."
"Be the miracle."

So the last one is a Jim Carrey quote, but still...you don't think all these "freaking do it already" quotes exist for no reason, do you? wink

"If you were waiting for the opportune moment...that was it." <---and that's my favorite wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission