Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1148518 - 12/23/05 08:04 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
well guys after reviewing the Frost a little more I found many more suitable ones and so I agree we should just use the Frost since everyone seems to be in resounding agreement of their preference for Frost.

So I vote Frost but I'll post later about staking my claim on a particular poem because I can't decide between a couple that I like at the moment.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1148519 - 12/23/05 08:45 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Fiesta Figaro Offline

Loc: Elizabeth, NJ
Hey all, any form of recording and/or score file will suffice so long as you guys are composing. The audio file may be an mp3 or midi, the score file may be hand-written or polished off in Finale. If all you can provide is one or the other that's fine. Something to keep in mind with the score file is it should preferrably be in the form of a graphic file or .pdf so that one doesn't need a program like Finale to read it. If you can't provide a score of what you're working on, that's perfectly fine.

On a side note, I have Finale and any if any of you need anything done on it you may ask me.

#1148520 - 12/23/05 10:22 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i don't know if anyone noticed, but i am claiming the poem "Meeting and Passing" for my composition.

#1148521 - 12/24/05 12:50 AM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok so far:

signa has: "Meeting and Passing"
sarabande has: "A Patch of Old Snow"

and I will go ahead and take:
"An Old Man's Winter Night" if nobody minds

#1148522 - 12/24/05 02:46 AM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Ooh, good poem Req! I can't wait to hear that one. \:\)

signa took a very nice sonnet, too... certainly an intimate one. ;\)

So far, I like the selections very much! \:D I will refrain from chosing until I can get back to Philadelphia (New Years' Eve). I want to "tinker" before settling, so I'll probably choose in the first week of January...if that is all right with everyone else.

I've a mind for either "Out, out---" or "Brown's Descent, or the Willy-Nilly Slide"...not sure yet...but I really like those two.

(Of course, my favorite is "The Road Not Taken", but if I took it, I wouldn't exactly be following his advice... :p )

#1148523 - 12/24/05 02:53 AM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ahaha...very true about that road not taken. I must admit that's the obvious choice and is the center piece of this selection and my mouth watered at trying it but I like to do more esoteric things and the one I chose I've never read before so I figured I'd try it.

It would be interesting for the road not taken though to take it up with a theme A to represent one "road" then a theme B to represent a fork in the road and a new "road" however after the 2nd theme of B, the music would begin in the original key something that begins the same as theme A but instead it is a false reprise and suddenly shifts into a new tonality and key of C to show a last minute changing of mind and taking the new 'road not taken.' I thought that would be interesting to do that, and those are my thoughts for anyone picking that famous piece.

anyhoo, I haven't read those poems you mentioned yet but I'll check 'em out tomorrow they sound interesting.

#1148524 - 12/24/05 03:12 AM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Yeah, the whole group's interesting, but I'm trying to stay away from the longer ones. ;\)

And the "Road Not Taken" is a centerpiece of all poetry, not just of that selection. It's one of the masterpieces of all-time. \:\)

#1148525 - 12/24/05 03:28 AM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

indeed.

#1148526 - 12/24/05 06:45 AM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Allazart Offline

Quote:

As for reservations that may arise because from a perceived lack of compositional ability, my main reason for starting this project is to create an environment whereby composers may grow through interaction with other composers. Skill-level is not a factor in this project, there will be some more advanced and others less advanced than you. In order to become better in composition, one needs to compose, and in doing it here I'm hoping you'll receive lots of support and constructive feedback so that composing will come easier and be of better quality.

Thanks for your support and get crackin!
OK, since it's fine for me to be not very good, I'll bite. I've plenty ideas, I've just never finished anything. Maybe now's a good time to change that.

For creating scores I have both finale notepad and a trial version of noteworthy composer. Noteworthy allows you to export as midi, which is useful. However, the trial version limits the number of saves (although there are ways to circumvent that) and the visual score itself can't be exported in any other form but the proprietary file format.

However there is a free noteworthy player (a paltry 522KB) at http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/player/ that can play back both noteworthy and midi files while showing notation.

From the site:

Quote:
If you are a registered user of NoteWorthy Composer and would like your friends and family to be able to play back your songs and see the notation, NoteWorthy Player is the solution. You can give them NoteWorthy Player or they can download it (it is freeware), then send them your songs and they can see and hear the songs.

You can also use NoteWorthy Player as your MIDI player. It will play back *.mid files and show notation and lyrics (if present) for the song.
However, the player doesn't work on files created with the trial version (which I have)though it will convert midi to notation (with idiosyncracies such as choosing Gb when F# makes more sense).

Anyway, I might use noteworthy since I'm most familiar with it. If I do, the player is one free option for converting the midi to some kind of score. Or, you could download the trial version of the composer as well.

Now to choose a poem. I hope everyone who has chosen already created the thread to claim it.

#1148527 - 12/24/05 08:37 AM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I use noteworthy too, PM me and I might be able to help you make it more useful *wink*

#1148528 - 12/24/05 04:35 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Fiesta Figaro Offline

So here's the story with who's taken what and which poems are still available:

The Road Not Taken [/b] -Arjen
Christmas Trees
An Old Man’s Winter Night [/b] -Requiem Aeternam
A Patch of Old Snow [/b] -sarabande
In the Home Stretch
The Telephone
Meeting and Passing [/b] -signa
Hyla Brook
The Oven Bird [/b] -Fiesta Figaro
Bond and Free [/b] -Allazart
Birches
Pea Brush
Putting in the Seed
A Time to Talk
The Cow in Apple Time
An Encounter
Range-finding
The Hill Wife [/b] -kcoul058 (House Fear), cyip086 (The Impulse)
The Bonfire
A Girl’s Garden
The Exposed Nest
“Out, Out—”
Brown’s Descent, or the Willy-nilly Slide
The Gum-gatherer
The Line-gang
The Vanishing Red
Snow
The Sound of the Trees

#1148529 - 12/24/05 04:47 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

the road is indeed not yet taken LOL

#1148530 - 12/25/05 02:10 AM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Requiem Aeternam:
the road is indeed not yet taken LOL [/b]
What an interesting statement if it is not taken at all. ;\)

#1148531 - 12/25/05 02:15 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

what can I say, it's prophetic work that portends its own destiny ;\)

#1148532 - 12/25/05 03:04 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
I'll be taking "House Fear" from "The Hill Wife". I looked at pretty well all of the poems in the cycle, and while IMHO Frost may not have the most animated imagery in his particular style of poetry, it still does this project enough justice to be suitable enough.

I might have recommended some French poetry that had been translated to English, but since enough people have picked (and I found one I like too! and i'm really picky! ;\) ), this seems like it should work great!

I'll start my thread right away... expect my piece to be pretty morose.. just read the poem!

#1148533 - 12/26/05 03:22 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Arjen Offline

Loc: Groningen, Netherlands
Unfortunately I would actually like to take that road, if you gentlemen won't mind. I'm not a skilled composer by any means but I'll do my best. I'll write it in Sibelius, I can send it as MIDI or graphical illustration, whatever is desired. I have some issues with internet during the week but should always be able to provide an update each weekend, at the very least.

#1148534 - 12/27/05 05:15 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
Remember, I've just taken one of the poem's found in the "Hill Wife", so there's still other ones in there people can take! Be sure to edit the "whos taken what" post so people know the whole "Hill Wife" isn't taken by me!

#1148535 - 12/28/05 11:39 AM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Fiesta Figaro Offline

Hey guys, I just wanted to clear up some things about the reviewing process. While it is preferred, you don't necessarily have to have show new material every week on your thread. There is no "due date" for your composition, and while it would be nice to "hear" progress on your work, any sort of conceptual progress will suffice. If at all possible, try to update us at least once a week on the progress of your piece.

#1148536 - 12/28/05 02:57 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
Allazart Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiesta Figaro:
Hey guys, I just wanted to clear up some things about the reviewing process. While it is preferred, you don't necessarily have to have show new material every week on your thread. There is no "due date" for your composition, and while it would be nice to "hear" progress on your work, any sort of conceptual progress will suffice. If at all possible, try to update us at least once a week on the progress of your piece. [/b]
Yes, I'd arrived at this conclusion myself. If I keep posting updates it will diminish the impact of the final piece. I know, as the composer one sometimes gets tired of his work and I wouldn't want my potential listeners to feel the same way before I'm even done.

So, I may post comments in my thread but won't post new music clips until it is finished to my satisfaction.

#1148537 - 12/28/05 05:12 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
I really didn't want to post bits and pieces of mine either as it doesn't give the "full effect" that way. I can go ahead and provide some updates on how I'm doing though.

#1148538 - 01/09/06 08:08 AM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

How is everyone doing on their compositions? I haven't heard any updates from anyone except for those few who already have recordings posted. Where are all of you? I haven't heard from any of you on the forum at all for quite a while. Is everyone still working on their compositions for this project behind the scenes? Can anyone provide an update to their threads or post on this thread just to say you're still working on it?

#1148539 - 01/09/06 01:28 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i haven't had time working on my piece since the last time i touched it. i got some organizational ideas though (thinking more towards a sonata/sonatina form) but to put everything into composition is going to take long time, since i have much piano practice to do especially now that i have a teacher. but i will try to find time to work on it.

#1148540 - 01/09/06 03:00 PM Re: MIP - collaborative composition main thread
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Signa,

Your actually one of the few who has gotten a recording posted. You are a lot farther ahead than the rest of us! \:\)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
108 registered (AndresD, anotherscott, 36251, Al LaPorte, aesop, 33 invisible), 1444 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295109 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
Today at 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
Today at 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission