2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hey all! Encouraged by the amount of support I got from my proposition of a collaborative project I’ve drafted a set of guidelines and rules for a joint compositional endeavor. I liked Kcoul’s idea of creating a sort of programmatic suite so I dug around for a set of poems or other such material we could base our suite on and came up with Robert Frost’s "Mountain Interval." I chose this work for a number of reasons: it uses lots of imagery, it’s accessible, and it’s comprised of many poems of varying lengths. The work can be found here http://www.bartleby.com/119/index1.html .

So this is how this project will work:

This thread will be the main thread. On this thread you can offer general comments and suggestions, but nothing specifically regarding your part of the suite. Each person who participates in this project will have a separate thread for their movement of the suite where people will listen and comment only on that person’s movement. The name of the thread should start like this one, with the letters “MIP” (Mountain Interval Project) prefacing the topic name. The reason for all this is to reduce disorganization and clutter.

Each person will choose a poem from Frost’s "Mountain Interval." Choice of poem is on a first come first serve basis and one claims a poem by starting their thread. There are 28 to choose from so finding a poem you like shouldn’t be very hard. For now each person may only choose one.

At least once a week, each participant must provide an overview of the state of their movement in their thread. This overview should be backed up by links to an audio music file and preferably a score file as well. A nice hosting service for the music file may be found here http://www.savefile.com/ . For those of you who don’t feel comfortable using this service feel free to email your piece to me and I’ll post a link to it on your thread. If you’ve got your own website you can use that.

As for the type of pieces for this suite, it’s open to any style: romantic, classical, jazz, whatever. The only requirements are that it be for solo piano, performable, and that it not be too long, anything under 10 minutes is fine. As for the rest, it’s totally up to you.

Well that’s it for now, I’m sure I left some things out but we’ll keep adding and revising as we go along. Keep in mind, however, that while I’m trying to make this process as democratic as possible, there has to be some degree of autonomy assumed lest nothing get done. Hopefully we’ll have enough people in this to make it diverse and fun. This project is open to anyone, regardless of skill level, so pick a poem and have fun!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
most excellent idea wise sir, I like the organization and most of all I like the novel approach of having MIP: xxxx threads by each individual person so that

1. it helps revive the composer's lounge and creates some bustle here which will bring more composers and

2. it will keep us from having a chaotic main thread where everyone will be posting and commenting on everyone's stuff all over the place...

like I said, I like the idea though I can't comment on the actual poems yet, I haven't seen them yet but I'm about to go check them out now, as for the rest of you spread the word and get as many composers in here as possible, maybe we'll end up putting together a nice lil pianoworld anthology of vignettes and if they're good enough maybe get them performed/recorded by someone in the pianist corner.

well, off I go to steal the best poem...

"He who turns himself into a beast, gets rid of the pain of being a man."
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i like the idea too, but was hesitate to join because i cannot compose very well. but hey, let me just do it as an exercise or homework or something.

i looked a few poems there, and want to choose that 'passing and meeting' which seems to be good for me to write a simple piece on (as i can't write anything too complicated).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
well signa, if you're really interested about becoming better at composing maybe this would be a good opportunity for you to work with some other composers and later on when we're all sharing our stuff you can get tips, pointers, and help etc with your composition, I look forward to the same thing.

anyhow, I just looked over the poems though and I must say that I'm not sure if they're such a good idea, well I only looked at a few but it seems to me almost none of the ones I saw were suitable for music because they were a little too heavily steeped in a story line with dialogue etc. If something like that is to be done like Schubert's erlkonig etc then it is more suitable if it's a piano with voice lieder etc, but it seems to be pretty hard to write something for piano that entails a story line or especially dialogue.

I may be wrong I'm going to continue looking at the rest but what do you all think? After thinking about it some more I think that the ideal thing is a group of descriptive quotes such as Schumann used for kinderszenen (Scenes from Childhood) like "Chickens clucking," "Children Playing," the famous "Reverie(Traumerei)," "About Strange Lands and People," but something like this on the other hand may be too simplistic for some people's tastes and they may prefer a more complicated description or storyline to compose to.

Anyhow let me know what you think, I'm going to go look at more of the Frost poems to see if I change my mind

These are just ideas but let me know what you think, if others also find the Frost not right for this project, we could:

1. just copy straight from Schumann's Kinderszenen and use all of the piece's names, after all there's like over 10-15 I think, though obviously you don't have to compose in the style of Schumann.

2. do a Pictures at an Exhibition type of thing and find a set of paintings/artwork/etc that can be used as source material to compose to instead of a literature source.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
o crap I just found some really good stuff. Check this out guys tell me what you think:

http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/waltwhitman/

apparently all of Walt Whitman's poetry, some of it is extremely good and suitable for this.

Check out half way down the page the series called "Whispers of Heavenly Death"

and there are many others that seem to me to be better than the Frost. What do you think?

Only problem is some of them seem to be too un-specific, like more generalized or inner-dialogue/monologue type of things that would be hard to do as well. But there's so many I have only looked at a few.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually, after looking at some more series of Whitman, some of the 'un-specific' ones I like even more because they are charged with emotion and are very conducive for setting down to music. For example take a look at a piece of this poem:

DESPAIRING cries float ceaselessly toward me, day and night,
The sad voice of Death—the call of my nearest lover, putting forth, alarmed,
uncertain,
This sea I am quickly to sail, come tell me,
Come tell me where I am speeding—tell me my destination.

This seems to me very suitable for music. You can attempt to express this pain and tumultuous emotions and grief in the music whereas something that goes along a story line and has people talking/dialogue seems to me more difficult and not fully possible on piano alone (without voice to quote some of the dialogue).

p.s. check the series "Despairing Cries" for emotionally potent poems and "Leaves of Grass" for its sheer breadth selection (over 60 poems).

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
RA, you're the man! couldn't believe i just left for a few seconds, you've already posted ton of stuff here!

actually i think it's possible to compose some impressionist works with all those poems, and you don't really need to create a story by following exact words but images. however i don't know i can write anything like that, and even if i try it'd be pretty crappy. i more lean on doing something little classical or romantic or at least follow a structure of some sort, which would be easier for me to do.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Whatever we write, is it suppose to just reflect the imagary of the poem or is the music suppose to coincide with the words in each line or either or? Well, it doesn't matter to me what we go with on poetry or whatever, I'll work around whatever is decided on. I might make an attempt at it, someone could always "edit" whatever I came up with as they saw fit. I'd have to try to scan it to Fiesta F. I have a hard time understanding most of the poems in either of you guys' suggestions but I'll make do with anything. Oddly enough, the only one that "inspired" me out of either suggestion was "A Patch of Old Snow" by Frost. So let me know what the conclusion is on what we're going with.

Everyone could just choose their own poem from any source and the guideline could be it has to do with a season like summer, winter, fall, spring. Or any poem as long as it had to with one particular season. Like all winter poems. Or any poem as long as it had to do with one theme. It really makes no difference to me. As I said just pick something and I'll figure something out the best I can. Maybe one of you could write a short little example based on part of one of the poems to give us an idea to go by.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
signa,
I hope you try to do something. I'm probably in the same boat as you. I haven't tried to write anything for quite a while so I'm a little rusty and before I wrote just for a hobby. It would be a good way to get back into it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
well guys I just posted in the pianist corner to get some more people in here to get feedback then we can vote on a set of poems or whatever the course we take though I do like your idea sarabande as well, that if this doesn't work out we can simply choose a common "Theme" and then all find our own poems that fit that theme. For example you used seasons as a theme but it can be anything like emotions or whatnot and then everyone finds a piece of literature or art that describes that theme and uses it to represent it with music etc. Let's just wait a little bit and see first if the cavalry comes in, hopefully a lot of others will join up after we spread the word

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
p.s. in answer to what you said you should all definitely try to write something, I myself or and/or others will probably be able to help you not only if you get stuck but maybe editing some parts and making your harmony a lil better etc.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wasn't set on seasons for a "theme" but just had it on the brain after reading some of Frost's poems referring to birds, snow, trees, flowers, etc. By the way Requiem, do your avatars represent you in any way? Your new avatar makes me think of you as a little more aged that your previous avatar.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
haha well the old one was one of the ones available here, it was henry the VIII who I kind of admired because he was a king, a sportsman, a patron of the arts, a painter, writer of many poems, and a composer too (though not that great lol) and his zodiac sign's a cancer like me, so I guess we're similar lol.

As for this new one it's of Johannes Brahms who is probably my favorite composer, I wanted to get a younger picture of him because I'm only 23 but this is the best one I found all the rest got too squished up when you put them as avatars, but I think I kind of look like him too a little bit from his early years, at least a few people have mentioned it so that's probably what I'll look like in my bearded 50's and 60's ..

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i will write something for sure, and am going to work out some themes (got a few ideas) and then see what to make of from there. the tough part is to create something more than just melody lines (i like music with melodies btw) and find building blocks...

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I'll take a look at the poems of Mr. Frost and see what I think. (He is one of my absolute favorite poets, so I think I might enjoy them, regardless of dialogue...I'll just make up my own background information...but we'll see. wink )

Storytelling is something I'm very good at...though mostly with words. I cannot draw, sadly, nor can I sing, and I'm not a very good composer. I come up with melodies easily enough...but all the little intricacies of the rest of the score elude me. wink I do, however, write short stories, poetry, novels, etc. so I'm decent enough with words to offer suggestions, or even parallel poems if anybody gets a little troubled by Mr. Frost. smile

(Look at it this way...you help me with composing, I'll help you with poetry. wink )

Well, I probably won't get the chance tonight...it's already 3am...but we'll see.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
OP Offline
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback! It seems so far we've got four participants. That's really awesome but I hope we can get more, the more the merrier...

I appreciate your avid searches of other sources for subject matter and they're all great ideas and very conducive to music writing, but to save time and confusion I'd rather stick to the Frost material. The Frost has got some great themes, moods, and imagery, and unless any of you really have a problem with setting these poems to music then we'll use the Frost. It doesn't have to be a literal representation of the poem, just a general mood or impression is enough to write a piece. Again, you're totally free to interpret however you want and may write in whatever manner you choose, so long as the piece follows the simple guidelines stated above.

As for reservations that may arise because from a perceived lack of compositional ability, my main reason for starting this project is to create an environment whereby composers may grow through interaction with other composers. Skill-level is not a factor in this project, there will be some more advanced and others less advanced than you. In order to become better in composition, one needs to compose, and in doing it here I'm hoping you'll receive lots of support and constructive feedback so that composing will come easier and be of better quality.

Thanks for your support and get crackin!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F. Figaro,
I know you said we should start a thread to "claim" our poem but I hate to start a new thread until everyone's for certain we're using Frost's "Mountain Interval". I have some ideas already for Frost's "A Patch of Old Snow" (I know it's kind of quirky out of all the poems to choose from that one would click with me.) I'd like to "claim" that poem if we go with the Frost work, otherwise it is perfectly fine to go another route other than Frost also. I won't start a separate thread until everyone decides for sure. I like the ideas I came up with so may write it out for fun even if we go with something else for a collaberative project.

Thanks for the offer with the poetry help for everyone Derulux. I may need help deciphering a poem depending on what we go with.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks for the offer with the poetry help for everyone Derulux. I may need help deciphering a poem depending on what we go with.
No problem! I may need help learning how to compose! smile

I've no problems picking any poems...like I said, writing/literature is something I'm good at. It's my composing ability that will hinder me. (Maybe we should work in teams? :p ) I'll tell you what, let me look at the Frost poems now...I'll decide tonight. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
oops! F. Figaro, I think we both posted at the same time and yours beat my post by a minute. I wouldn't think anyone else would choose that particular Frost poem anyway. I'll go ahead and "stake my claim" by starting a thread later tomorrow if I don't hear any different.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

by Sarabande: Thanks for the offer with the poetry help for everyone Derulux. I may need help deciphering a poem depending on what we go with.
Quote by Derulux:
No problem!
I may need help learning how to compose! smile
I've no problems picking any poems...like I said, writing/literature is something I'm good at. It's my composing ability that will hinder me. (Maybe we should work in teams? :p ) I'll tell you what, let me look at the Frost poems now...I'll decide tonight. smile
Oops! I better get to sleep. I posted this without my message. Derulux, If you have the creative ability to write literature and play the piano, you should have no trouble writing some creative compositions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission