Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1148693 - 01/22/06 09:59 PM What are you currently composing?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
Without necessarily having to post a score or a recording, what kind of compositions are you currently working on? For example, style, what instruments, etc., etc.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1148694 - 01/23/06 12:07 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I just found this, having recently experienced the greatest musical loss of my composing career. I was writing in Finale (a free copy, so I can't save progress...this will be important to know later), and just today finished the first-movement cadenza for a piano concerto I was writing when Finale crashed and I lost the entire concerto. I have an .mp3 of the first 6:30 of the movement, which starts the cadenza, but lost the cadenza itself. I have no copy of the score (which was at 28 pages when Finale crashed). Normally, I copy the pages into Microsoft Paint by "print-screening" them and pasting them into Paint. It usually takes about 8 screens per page of music, so it would've taken me several hours to transfer the 28 pages. I was waiting to finish the movement (which probably would've been another 3 minutes or so of music as it returned to the main theme and then ended), and then ended. But now I have nothing.

Since I will probably give up on it now, I am not afraid to post a recording of what I had written, since it is likely that I will now never finish it (I have no way to recover the notes except to take several months and do it by ear, which is a painstaking process I do not have time for since composing is not my profession).

Where are the medications from the "Pianist Corner" when I need them? *cries*

Piano Concerto No 2 in Dm...all that remains of it *places flowers next to the link* You weren't the best, but you were mine. \:\(

#1148695 - 01/23/06 12:18 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
mary808 Offline

Loc: Dallas TX
I've been working on a little piano ditty in D (dorian). I have an unnatural facination with chord progressions that involve D minor and F Major.

I'm not really experienced enough to be able to tell you what kind of style it is... I'd love for somebody to be able to tell me what my style sounds like to them.

I compose for piano only (for now, I hope to someday compose for ensembles). Here are my favorite artists, and what I like them for:

Tori Amos (composition & performance)
Rachmaninov (composition)
Pablo Casals (performance).

I suppose my style is influenced by these guys.

#1148696 - 01/23/06 12:31 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
mary808 Offline

Loc: Dallas TX
Wow, Derulux.

I like the section that starts at exactly 1:00, (loud, heavy piano) and goes through the the pretty melody with the frenzied piano arpeggios. (approx) 1:57.

I LOVE the heavy piano part at 3:20. GORGEOUS! I wish I had heard this before my previous post... that part is very reminiscent of my boy, Rach. I felt a flutter in my heart at that part.

#1148697 - 01/23/06 12:39 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Thank you! \:\) I think you would've really loved the cadenza...even better than the "mini" you liked at 3:20. ;\) I borrowed largely from Rachmaninoff and Liszt for the movement, but threw a few "honorable mentions" (Beethoven, Grieg, and Balakirev to name a few) in as well. The cadenza itself was definitely Rachmaninoff (particularly the 3rd piano concerto, but with my own personal touch and a little idea from Balakirev).

I wish I could convert the .mp3 to midi...then I could get the notes back...but as it stands, I just can't spend the time to listen to it and get all those notes back. I've been writing the damn thing for the last 2-3 weeks, some days spending 4-5 hours just to put in the notes I heard in a 5-minute span...and it'd take even longer to go through and re-do it. \:\(

I would've liked to play it one day, with an orchestra and everything...it would've sounded better. But I'm glad you liked it anyway. \:\)

#1148698 - 01/23/06 02:30 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
Derulux, i like your composition which sounds quite exciting i feel and little bit like Rach also, but not too trivial at all to say the least. the point is that it's composed with melodic themes which modern/current music compositions usually deliberately avoid rather to go with sound 'painting'.

i just heard a new piano concerto a short time ago by a French composer Marc-André Dalbavie who wrote this concerto for pianist Leif Ove Andsnes who played it in the concert i went. but after listening to their talks about the composition and heard the whole thing, i felt cheated in some way, because it's like music of self-indulgence for the composer and even the pianist (perhaps), which only sound meaningful and genius to them but everyone else who listened to it would careless. there's no melody but scale and chord passages in it, which sounds clever maybe but i doubt anyone in the concert hall can relate or connect to the music. i myself wouldn't want to hear it again! i guess that's the tragedy of modern music: nobody cares to listen to except composers themselves and music professors perhaps...

#1148699 - 01/23/06 05:07 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Hi Sara and everyone. This is my first visit to Piano World. It looks like a great place to share our love of music.

I compose for solo piano. I also compose songs(I enjoy this very much). And then I have a large collection of "odds & ends" (variations on Christmas songs, thriller tracks, electronic tracks, etc.).

Anyway, my style has been influenced by many of the great composers, however I'd like to think there's some of me in my compositions also.

Here's one of my piano compositions. I hope you enjoy it.

"Girl From Nowhere"
http://www.artistcollaboration.com/~johnny-boy/Girl%20From%20Nowhere.mp3

Best, John

#1148700 - 01/23/06 07:42 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

signa[/b]-
Thank you. Yes, I am part of the group who just can't stand that "painting" stuff. Smearing colors on a canvas does not make me want to look...in the end, if there is nothing for me to hold on to, to remember, some image that is the work, then I will not care. I feel the same way about music. So when I write, there is almost always a discernible melody...something to grab onto and "see", something to remember it by. And thank you again. \:\)

Johnny[/b]- That was a nice piece. I think it leans more towards "easy listening", but I'm not the greatest at classifying things (and in many cases, things shouldn't be classified), so I'll stick to "music" without classification. However, I would like to know more about what you feel your style is, because that is probably more relevant to understanding your work than what I feel it is. ;\)

#1148701 - 01/23/06 10:59 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for listening Derulux. I appreciate your comments.

I don’t have any interest in classifying my music. Music to me is pure emotion. If that emotion can be conveyed in a coherent structure it becomes serious music.

I guess if I were pinned down I’d call this piece “serious popular music” in the “Romantic Era” fashion.

Easy listening? I hope that it is easy to listen to. I don’t think complexity in music is anymore noteworthy than simplicity. If it grabs the listener’s emotions then I’m delighted.

Best, John

#1148702 - 01/23/06 11:37 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
hugo Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by sarabande:
Without necessarily having to post a score or a recording, what kind of compositions are you currently working on? For example, style, what instruments, etc., etc. [/b]
I'm working on:
two new-agish sounding piano solos,
one rock song with a vocal, 2 guitars, synth, bass, and drums
two commercial country pieces, one for a man, one for a woman, both with the usual backup

Of course, it seems like this forum is oriented towards classical piano but I thought I'd show that some of us are into more than one genre.

#1148703 - 01/23/06 12:36 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Hugo,

I also enjoy composing in more than one genre. Good music exists in many styles of music.

I enjoy composing popular songs as well as piano rags, electronic music, and even classical (serious) music.

I can enjoy listening to John Williams as well as Rachmaninoff. I love music too much to contain myself in one small corner of the music world. I want it all!

I’ve been enjoying composing songs with lyricist Cal Francis DiFalco in Canada (thank God for the Internet).

I like to think I maintain the same quality in my popular music as I do in serious music.

Here’s a popular song Cal and I composed last week. I’ve been told by several people that there’s the element of tragedy in everything I compose. They may be right.

“The One”
Lyrics: Cal Francis DiFalco
Sung by Kerie Geni
http://www.artistcollaboration.com/~johnny-boy/THE%20ONE.mp3

I'd like to hear your piano solos Hugo.

Best, John

#1148704 - 01/23/06 02:00 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

To tell you the truth all, I haven't composed much if anything for quite some time but am just starting to get back into it. I wrote a few little things from about 16 on mostly pop style with lyrics, most Contemporary Christian and praise and worship style. Then I went to college and got a B.A. is Music primarly because I always wanted to go into music from the beginning at 18 and ended up studying in another field (fashion design :rolleyes: - I know nothing about fashion now and don't ask me why I got into that because everyone convinced me there was no money in music - as if there is in fashion design, but may have done half-way decent had I stayed in it). Anyway, I quit after two years to get married, then when we moved to where their was a nearby college, I jumped into their degree program. I wanted to write music for a hobby and teach piano as supplemental income and realized a lot of my other degree work fit better into a B.A. I took about 3 composition classes while there although I think the theory, history and literature, form and analysis all aid more in composing than the composition classes so I should have taken more of the other. I composed a few things while in college. Then went to work full-time, then became a stay-at-home mom with not as much time for my music, and now that kids are getting a little older, I'm finding more time for music so that puts my up to now where I'm getting back into trying my hand at composing. Reading what all of you have to say and are doing gives me more motivation and inspiration to compose.

Derulux, sorry to hear about your computer/composition troubles - what a big time bummer!!! Perhaps eventually you will try to pick the piece back up and reconstruct it little by little. It is still all written and recorded in your head. I haven't listened to it as of yet, but it sounds interesting. Wow - you seem to be a decent pianist, composer, writer all rolled into one - amazing talents!

#1148705 - 01/23/06 02:05 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ps - hugo, I always got a sense that there was a good mix of composing styles here. I like to dip my feet in a variety of styles. I like to write melodies with lyrics in kind of a pop style and then also some classical. I'm awed at those who are able to cover the spectrum of styles rather than being confined into one.

Johnny-Boy: Welcome by the way! I'm fairly new myself just been here for a few months.

#1148706 - 01/23/06 02:32 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the welcome Sara.

Composing comes from the "heart". From reading your posts I know you have the heart and heartfelt desire. Let your emotions guide you. I'm sure you'll compose some wonderful pieces. I hope you share them with us here.

Best, John

#1148707 - 01/23/06 02:59 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
No compositions, just heaps of recordings of improvisations. They contain hundreds of things which suggest compositions but, as usual, I can't be bothered writing anything out. After hearing what happened to Derulux I'm very thankful none of my creative processes depend on computers. As it is I keep all my improvisations in at least three different forms - tape, audio CD and mp3 - with multiple copies of each in different places.

#1148708 - 01/23/06 03:12 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ted,

I have great admiration for those who are good at improv. since I'm not. Perhaps if I took the time to practice at it more. Well, I know who to ask if I ever have a question on it. Have you posted a recording somewhere on the forums? I'd be interested to hear one. I posted once that I don't usually listen to posted recordings but that I may change my tune sometime. I guess I'll have to since you all have posted some recordings - got my curiosity up.

#1148709 - 01/23/06 03:21 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
Finished
- 5 Romantic Pieces

Finishing this week
- La Suite du Petit Prince (Impressionist)

Finshing this term
- Variations on a Theme by Clara Schumann
- Piano Concerto No.1 in Eb minor
- Doppelganger Quintet for Flute, Guitar, Harp, Piano, and Double Bass or Cello
- Electroacoustic Choral Vocalises (the 1st one experiments with formant shifts!)

Planned for the rest of Undergrad
- Orchestrating the Concerto and Suite
- A full Mass to apply study of 15th Century counterpoint
- A full Requiem to apply study of 18th Century counterpoint
- Many more works, many involving piano, and many further integrating electronic and acoustic music such that they become indistinguishable from one another (I firmly believe this to be the future of music in the 21st century).

#1148710 - 01/23/06 03:25 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Sara,

I've been downloading MP3 and WMA files from sites like these for quite awhile. I've never gotten a virus.

I have gotten viruses in my email though. Norton has always taken care of them.

The risk on sites like this is minimal. Just keep all your security updated.

Best, John

#1148711 - 01/23/06 03:30 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Sarabande:

I enjoy it. Whether or not I'm "good at it" is a matter of opinion.

The odd few improvisations, and a motley assortment of my pieces, are posted in the Audition Room at a forum called Pianostreet

Audition Room

However, I have posted fewer lately as little interest has been forthcoming, so you might need to page backwards to find my stuff. I post under the name "ted" there too.

#1148712 - 01/23/06 03:31 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sounds like you're going to be very busy kcoul058. It's a great feeling having a lot of work ahead of you.

I compose everyday but I'm still always several projects behind. I'll only worry when I start running out of work.

Best, John

#1148713 - 01/23/06 05:57 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

OK, I'm going to try to listen to everyone's work in this thread little by little. It may take me a while to get to them all.

So far, Derulux, what can I say, wonderful! I didn't get tired of listening to it and the whole time was left wondering what's coming next. Maybe you don't feel like it right away but sometime you should really try to piece it back together or use the ideas in a new work. I'm not typically a huge concerto fan as I'd rather hear solo piano or orchestra without piano but I did particularly like your work.

#1148714 - 01/23/06 08:14 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Thank you, sara! \:\) I may yet get back to it someday...but it's definitely on hold now for at least a year or two (or, at least, the first two movements are...I may jump to the third movement and start the finale, but probably not...I think I'm going to take a break from composing and go back to writing for a few weeks/months and really try to get my novel done so I can send it out). Thanks for the encouragement, though. \:D

#1148715 - 01/24/06 12:39 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
hugo Offline

Johnny,
Nice stuff you've done. I've just begun dipping my toes in the waters of Collaboration Central lately. For collaboration I prefer to do lyrics rather than offer my rather poor-in-comparison talents on the piano. There's not much room there for just lyrics (and sometimes melodies), however, so I'm still watching more than participating. It's nice to hear such superb results in your pieces.
Once I get my solos recorded well I'll post a couple for folks to comment on.
-Hugo

#1148716 - 01/24/06 05:26 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Hugo

Collaboration Central is a great place. I'll look forward in hearing your work.

Best, John

#1148717 - 01/24/06 07:43 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
ncsteff Offline

Loc: NC
Good grief, Derulux, I sure hope you have a version of word processing software that allows you to save your work! \:D

#1148718 - 01/24/06 09:55 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ncsteff:
Good grief, Derulux, I sure hope you have a version of word processing software that allows you to save your work! \:D [/b]
The concerto took me about 9-10 days to get to what you heard, working anywhere from 20 minutes all the way up to five hours. I honestly could've done it in an afternoon's time if I could have plugged the notes in faster.

My writing, on the other hand, particularly this first novel of mine, is currently 8 years in the making. I wrote it once. Trashed it. Wrote it again. Trashed it. Wrote it again. Liked it. Started editing. Rewrote five chapters (and I have two more to go). Will continue to edit. Each one of those complete rewrites was over 100,000 words. The novel currently stands at 154,000 words (think "Fellowship of the Ring"), but will probably be a little longer than that when I finish rewriting those other two chapters. All of this on top of the 200+ pages of handwritten background notes on the world and characters, sketches, maps, loose papers of "ideas", geneaology tables, war progression charts, and the 400,000 words or so I have written from the other books in the series.....

There's NO WAY I'm starting that project over. The world will have to end before I lose all of the information/backups of this project. I've made it as certain as possible that I will not lose it. (I save it obsessively when I type...every 20 words or so. :p )

So bearing all that in mind, my writing is saved on my computer, on my parents' computer, on my sister's computer, and on my best friend's computer. They all have different operating systems in case of a random "Y-2xxx-K Crash" or other programming error. I have 3 CD backups in different locations (in different states). I keep seven hardcopies, three of which are in lock-deposit boxes in different countries, in case of a U.S. overthrow, a military coup, or a run on the banks. (One of them is stored safely next to the final chapter of Rowling's "Harry Potter" series.) I also have six jump-drives with stored information, one of which I keep at a lake house in Canada, one is buried in the desert in Nevada (next to Jimmy Hoffa), and one is at the bottom of a tequila bottle in Mexico. The other three are "unmentionables", and therefore, will not publicly be acknowledged. :p

#1148719 - 01/24/06 02:17 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Derulux, I forgot to add on your composition that it is obvious you are good at story-telling and writing as your music was full of suspense, keep you on the edge of your seat, wonder what's going to happen next and where it's headed, suspense followed by calm, just like a good book.

Wish you the best on your book.

#1148720 - 01/24/06 08:50 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Derulux, I forgot to add on your composition that it is obvious you are good at story-telling and writing as your music was full of suspense, keep you on the edge of your seat, wonder what's going to happen next and where it's headed, suspense followed by calm, just like a good book.

Wish you the best on your book. [/b]
Thanks, sara! \:\) I actually think I'm going to go write a little bit right now...while I have the idea and the time. ;\)

#1148721 - 01/26/06 01:48 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
snap_apple Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by signa:
Derulux, i like your composition which sounds quite exciting i feel and little bit like Rach also, but not too trivial at all to say the least. the point is that it's composed with melodic themes which modern/current music compositions usually deliberately avoid rather to go with sound 'painting'.

i just heard a new piano concerto a short time ago by a French composer Marc-André Dalbavie who wrote this concerto for pianist Leif Ove Andsnes who played it in the concert i went. but after listening to their talks about the composition and heard the whole thing, i felt cheated in some way, because it's like music of self-indulgence for the composer and even the pianist (perhaps), which only sound meaningful and genius to them but everyone else who listened to it would careless. there's no melody but scale and chord passages in it, which sounds clever maybe but i doubt anyone in the concert hall can relate or connect to the music. i myself wouldn't want to hear it again! i guess that's the tragedy of modern music: nobody cares to listen to except composers themselves and music professors perhaps... [/b]
Boy is this a close minded statement. The tragedy is that you think good music is simply a matter of a good sounding melody a bunch of chords and arpeggios. But A) what's a good melody differs person to person and B) music was and is never about that.

Music is simply about expression, communication via sound...organized sound. We can be moved by many different sounds just like we can be moved by many different sights and smells and tastes. Rhythm, balance, harmonie, structure, energy, timbre...so many different things can go into making a piece moving.

Is dissonance ugly? can be. Is the world ugly...you bet.
Is dissonance beautiful?...God yes, some of the most beautiful moments in music are dissonant, beautiful dissonance.

Is a lack of melody a good thing? It is a nessasary thing, why? cause to much melody becomes trite, it loses it's appeal. Do we as humans always communicate using words and sentences and phrases. No. We cry, we shout, we whisper, we gesture, we wink, we nod, we shun...music needs these things as well. Can you have an entire piece with no melody and have it still be emotional? Absolutley, it all depends on how the sound is used.

But to completley blow off modern music because it uses different ways of communication is as ignorant and as close minded as to say we should all communicate using grammatically perfect english language. Neglecting all other forms of communication and languages.

Self-indulgent to the composer? You bet, I hope all composers are self-indulgent...and pianists too. Every musician should be self-indulgent. Say what you want, love it, have it mean something special to you and if it does it will show itself. That is if you are being honest. The best composers in history were self-indulgent in their writings. All of them. Beethoven, Mozart, Liszt, Chopin, Bach, Wagner, Mahler, Prokofiev, Shoenberg, Rachmaninoff...they all wrote for themselves, they were all self-indulgent. Prokofiev loved it when people walked out. Let em walk out.

To say their is only one beautiful style to write in or to try to define beauty in anyway would be the single biggest tragedy in music. Thank God it doesn't work that way.

#1148722 - 01/26/06 03:40 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

snap-apple,

I noticed you have been a member since 2003 and haven't noticed you in the discussions in this forum since I have joined. - Hope to see you as a regular participator more often. I agree to some extent that not all music is a matter of melody and harmony. On the other hand, I have heard time after time things "composers" have written (mostly novices) that are nothing but harmony with varied rhythm and have no melody or theme at all. This was basic lesson #1 in a 300 level composition course I took not to write simply harmony. I saw a student in the class writing beautiful harmony better while I wrote nice melodies but didn't know much how to harmonize. He got blasted from the instructor time after time for writing nothing but harmony while I was rarely blasted for my nice melodic pieces with attempts at harmony when I knew nothing about how to add anything else. Of course as you said, there is more to writing music than melody with bass line harmony, but it is a great place to start when one is first trying to compose and has no idea how to get started and like me not really have a good ear for what sounds good just fooling around on the keys.

I kind of am not quite sure what you or signa are saying and I kind of misread both of your posts so mine doesn't make sense in connection with what you are saying. Durulex music doesn't sound at all modern while you seem to be defending the sounds of modern music as more than melody and harmony.

At any rate, I wonder why you came out of nowhere to attack someone else's view who is a regular in the forum when you have not been here regularly all along.

I hope to see you in the forum more often.

#1148723 - 01/26/06 03:42 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
hugo Offline

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Lack of melody is not popular. "Blowing off modern music" is an expression of taste, not ignorance.

You may not wish to accept it but most of humanity prefers melodies, just as we prefer beauty over ugliness.

#1148724 - 01/26/06 05:12 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Music is simply about expression, communication via sound...organized sound. We can be moved by many different sounds just like we can be moved by many different sights and smells and tastes. Rhythm, balance, harmonie, structure, energy, timbre...so many different things can go into making a piece moving.
i don't have disagreement with this.
 Quote:
Is dissonance ugly? can be. Is the world ugly...you bet.
Is dissonance beautiful?...God yes, some of the most beautiful moments in music are dissonant, beautiful dissonance.
i never said dissonance is ugly, but without some sort of melodies or themes to support it, it becomes simply non-sense to me (of course not to the composers or selected few). there's a lot of dissonance in Bach's music and i never felt it sounds ugly, simply because of the context within Bach's writing.

Quote:
Is a lack of melody a good thing? It is a nessasary thing, why? cause to much melody becomes trite, it loses it's appeal. Do we as humans always communicate using words and sentences and phrases. No. We cry, we shout, we whisper, we gesture, we wink, we nod, we shun...music needs these things as well. Can you have an entire piece with no melody and have it still be emotional? Absolutley, it all depends on how the sound is used.
i agree, without melodies, a piece would sound less trivial and obvious and recognizable. but isn't that exactly what many modern composers do, and then they'd blame public for lack of education or interest on modern music. i wonder why is that, if many of us simply don't care for such music?

Quote:
But to completley blow off modern music because it uses different ways of communication is as ignorant and as close minded as to say we should all communicate using grammatically perfect english language. Neglecting all other forms of communication and languages.
i didn't say all modern music is bad, no, i didn't even say it's bad, but meant only that such music doesn't interest me and i wouldn't want to hear it twice. yes, i believe that some people find pleasure listening to only such music, but it's just i'm not the one among such a group.

Quote:
Self-indulgent to the composer? You bet, I hope all composers are self-indulgent...and pianists too. Every musician should be self-indulgent. Say what you want, love it, have it mean something special to you and if it does it will show itself. That is if you are being honest. The best composers in history were self-indulgent in their writings. All of them. Beethoven, Mozart, Liszt, Chopin, Bach, Wagner, Mahler, Prokofiev, Shoenberg, Rachmaninoff...they all wrote for themselves, they were all self-indulgent. Prokofiev loved it when people walked out. Let em walk out.
the problem with the modern composers' self-indugence is that they simply ignore what fundamental thing that music to most people - the signal of the connection to mind or soul within music. without such connection, nobody cares, whether a piece of music is beautiful, or genius, or whatever, because it simply becomes meaningless.

#1148725 - 01/26/06 05:22 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
At any rate, I wonder why you came out of nowhere to attack someone else's view who is a regular in the forum when you have not been here regularly all along. [/b]
don't worry about it, sarabande. snap_apple has been around on this forum for long time and he's composer and pianist himself and very good at debating on topics such as this. i actually enjoy reading his post, although i don't always agree with him.

#1148726 - 01/26/06 06:20 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

signa, snap-apple,

My apologies to both of you for "interfering". You both raise some really good points and I enjoyed reading what you both have to say.

I'll stay out of it. My main gripe speaking in generalities though are those who just "pop" in every now and then and leave me wondering where they have been on all the other recent threads. I would appreciate hearing the thoughts of those people who appear infrequently more often as typically they have some decent knowledge to impart that they could be a little more generous with those like me who have more to learn. That's what mainly got my dander up. I guess I'm the newbie who should have known better. Again, sorry.

#1148727 - 01/26/06 07:21 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think it's best to judge each piece of music on its own merit. To state that all Modern/Pop music doesn't hold one's interest is only valid if one has heard it all.

I used to be somewhat of a classical music snob until I realized there was so much more to offer than what I was getting in my own narrow-minded safety corner.

Too much melody becomes trivial – I don’t think so.

Best, John

#1148728 - 01/27/06 01:02 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
snap_apple Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Sarabande,

I've been a member for a while but I have been really busy lately and haven't posted nor looked at anything in at least 6 or 7 months. But I came back and the post caught my attention.

Signa. Honestly in some ways I am playing a little bit of devils advocate here. I do understand to some extent what your point is...I just hope it isn't as extreme as it comes across.

It's erie how fine the line can be drawn between what is music and what isn't. What sounds good and what doesn't. Sometimes the line is very thin when you'd never think so. Sometimes the technique is born out of what needs to be said.

Take Prokofiev for example. He was sarcastic, barbaric, angry, violent, bent up about the wars amungst him, he was a rebel in school, what kind of music comes from that kind of emotional turmoil? He was the first to introduce the harsh, unmerciful use of dissonance. However passages of bi-tonal music can be found in composers works far before him. Chopin has many moments of harsh dissonace same with Bach...like you mentioned...actual bitonal passages (though they would never be analyzed as such) None the less Prokofiev really gave it to us naked and exposed nothing pretty at all. And people hated it. But now we connect with it...I know I do at some points. For me, a citizen of the U.S in 2006, I need more then say a Beethoven Sonata to really cut loose violently. I mean Beethoven is great, he was considerd ruthless and gross in his day, but now I need something with more bite. More synocopation, more edge, more dissonance, more power. And some of these modern pieces have that bite. By the way speaking of Prokofiev you know for all the unmelodic writing he did, did you know that he is quoted as saying "the most important thing in music is melody."

And aside from just straight up dissonant chords some modern music from the 60's and 70's use stuff that is out of this world crazy and yet has the most profound emotional effect. Like Penderecki's "threnody for hiroshima" 52 strings with unusual extended techniques and all sorts of micro-tonal modern craziness...but it sounds so powerful and moving. Absolutely no melody...no typical harmony, very unpinnable rhythmic material...but it makes a powerfully moving musical statement. No way could any such thing be said using typical harmonies and melodies...this is far more impacting and real.

But it takes a while to let new sounds and techniques soak in. The difference between Bach and Barber are not as big as they seem, yet they are seperated by more then 200 years. The differences between Wagner and Shoenberg are not that big yet many would consider Wagner's music to be far more "beautiful."
The difference between Bach, Liszt, Rachmaninoff and Frederic Rzewski's music is not as big as some would think.

Point is...modern music isn't as random as some would think. It has it's roots, it has it's connection with the world around it...at least the good compositions do. An open mind does a lot of good in becoming a fan. I know from experience because I myself had to learn to open my mind and ears and find it's good points. I stopped laughing off certain things and really tried to find the meaning inside. And much of it is very much a personal and real form of communication.

And it's important to remember that a piece is never meaningless if you yourself truly love it and respect it and if it is honestly your voice. If it is inside you and it begs to come out...if it really is connected to you then it isn't meaningless. The public may not get it...that is true in real life as well. Sometimes people just to get other people and ignore them, it doesn't make the person meaningless. And we would all love to be excepted and popular with other people just like we would love our works to be excepted and popular too...fact is sometimes it is not. Especially if your own ideas our outside the box a little.

So it is as much our job as composers to write for the audience as it is our job as people to live for other people. You live to please everyone you will inevidably fail in life simply because you can not please everyone. Same in music. Can not please everyone no matter what. Even Rachmaninoff with his most beautiful melodies and harmonies and sounds has haters. Even Bach, many people hate Bach. You can not please them all. So don't even try to guess what the public is looking for or what they want...you never know. Write for yourself and if it truly has something special to say it will find a way to live on.

#1148729 - 01/27/06 01:21 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by snap_apple:
Hey Sarabande,
I've been a member for a while but I have been really busy lately and haven't posted nor looked at anything in at least 6 or 7 months. But I came back and the post caught my attention.
[/b]
Well, I'm glad your back and to hear another voice here. When I first became aquainted with music of the Modern era, I was a little taken back by it but I saw how enthused the prof.'s were about it (this was 10 + years ago), that I begin thinking there must be something worthwhile there and once I listened more and understood more even began enjoying it. I ended up writing a couple minimilistic pieces that are a couple of my favorites (something I would have never done prior).

#1148730 - 01/27/06 11:30 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
And it's important to remember that a piece is never meaningless if you yourself truly love it and respect it and if it is honestly your voice. If it is inside you and it begs to come out...if it really is connected to you then it isn't meaningless. The public may not get it...that is true in real life as well. Sometimes people just to get other people and ignore them, it doesn't make the person meaningless. And we would all love to be excepted and popular with other people just like we would love our works to be excepted and popular too...fact is sometimes it is not. Especially if your own ideas our outside the box a little.
snap_apple, i see your point. but considering why certain music sounding meanless to me or others, it's not because we didn't open our ear or mind to listen to it, and we did but it simply sounds nothing but meanings. yes, i see the composer's point too, clever harmonic color and passages, trying to be unique and creative. it certainly means something to the composer who wrote the music. but does it mean anything to me? no, unfortunately no and that's what i call the tragedy of those type of modern music, since the composers are simply not writing for someone else (let's not even include the majority of public), but for themselves. is there genius in such music? i bet it does (and i noticed and not just closed minded), but it still doesn't mean anything. current modern music seems to me loosing clear direction of where it should go, and it seems more confused when it comes down to individuality, new tonal language or techniques and projected sound/music. the point is that if composers stop writing music for others rather than themselves, then don't expect anyone else would accept such music.

#1148731 - 01/27/06 11:58 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
 Quote:
Point is...modern music isn't as random as some would think. It has it's roots, it has it's connection with the world around it...at least the good compositions do. An open mind does a lot of good in becoming a fan. I know from experience because I myself had to learn to open my mind and ears and find it's good points. I stopped laughing off certain things and really tried to find the meaning inside. And much of it is very much a personal and real form of communication.[/b]
I appreciate much of the music by living composers, but it seems there has been a trend of late away from recognizable melodic repetition and development. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I find much of the music by Jennifer Higdon or John Adams potentially interesting yet it fails to hold my interest because it seems like a stream of consciousness. There is no development nor recapitulation of any sort. It's just musical idea after musical idea and for me that loses interest after a while.

This was highlighted at a recent festival of new music locally. I heard an interesting piece for solo cello, but it bored me after a while for the reasons described above. After the concert I heard the composer make a comment about "no repetition of any kind" and it struck me that this must be what they're teaching in music schools these days. Is this the new serialism?
 Quote:
So it is as much our job as composers to write for the audience as it is our job as people to live for other people. You live to please everyone you will inevidably fail in life simply because you can not please everyone. Same in music. Can not please everyone no matter what. Even Rachmaninoff with his most beautiful melodies and harmonies and sounds has haters. Even Bach, many people hate Bach. You can not please them all. So don't even try to guess what the public is looking for or what they want...you never know. Write for yourself and if it truly has something special to say it will find a way to live on. [/b]
Beautifully said, I can do no better. The advice to write for yourself is crucial to the composer because that's the person you have to live with daily. If you write for yourself then at least you'll have one ardent fan that truly believes in your work (yourself). If you don't then no one will believe in your work and at that point why bother?

#1148732 - 01/27/06 04:49 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
snap_apple Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
snap_apple, i see your point. but considering why certain music sounding meanless to me or others, it's not because we didn't open our ear or mind to listen to it, and we did but it simply sounds nothing but meanings. yes, i see the composer's point too, clever harmonic color and passages, trying to be unique and creative. it certainly means something to the composer who wrote the music. but does it mean anything to me? no, unfortunately no and that's what i call the tragedy of those type of modern music, since the composers are simply not writing for someone else (let's not even include the majority of public), but for themselves. is there genius in such music? i bet it does (and i noticed and not just closed minded), but it still doesn't mean anything. current modern music seems to me loosing clear direction of where it should go, and it seems more confused when it comes down to individuality, new tonal language or techniques and projected sound/music. the point is that if composers stop writing music for others rather than themselves, then don't expect anyone else would accept such music. [/b]
Meaningless is a very powerful word to describe art. I don't think your being fair by labeling music you don't enjoy or that your peers don't enjoy as being meaningless. Their are many works I would never want to hear again and that didn't connect with me at all but I would never call them meaningless...I would simply say I didn't feel a connection to the piece. And thats cool, that is what makes us all human, we all like different things and have different tastes.

Their is one big problem in your theory though on audience connection... [q]current modern music seems to me loosing clear direction of where it should go, and it seems more confused when it comes down to individuality, new tonal language or techniques and projected sound/music. the point is that if composers stop writing music for others rather than themselves, then don't expect anyone else would accept such music.[/q][/b]

...and that is...that this is the case at every given moment through out history. In a way it is the meaning of life, certainly the personal challenge for composers and other artists. What do I want to say? Who am I? Why is it important? How does that sound? Life is one big journey, a search for importance and self. Every single composer who ever lived delt with such questions. Every single era has been at one time labeld "modern." Every single modern era has been trashed, ridiculed and misunderstood by the public. Every single one. Our "modern" era is no different from other "modern eras" it was the same stuff over and over again.

The difference is Now...50, 100, 200 years later it has soaked in. We have evolved, our ears have evolved, and what was once shocking and confusing is now tame and pleasent or cool. No reason why 100 years from now our music will sound pretty cool...or in 200 years sound banal and pleasent.

It's important to note that we are always evolving has human beings. We soak up everything like a spounge. The sights we see, the people we meet, the food we taste, it all changes us and allows us to grow. And as musicians...epsecially as composers, the sounds we here really change us, move us, and get us to think. So it's no wonder why composers struggle to say what they need to say. The are constantly searching for every possible sound that says exactly what they want. Is it melodic? How simple? is it angst? How angst? No I'm angry...not that angry? what sounds violent? No really violent I want to scare the hell out of them? ...constantly searching for sounds.

And as sound evolves...think of how sound has evolved throught out history...from monophonic music, to polyphonic, chamber orchestras, symphony orchestras, computer technology, recording devices...as sound evolves we as composers pick up on that and it becomes a part of us. So modern music will usually be shocking to most people who rely on what they are comfortable listening too. Thing is it is the modern composers who instill the new sounds into the public's ear...who push them to hear it. It is the modern composers who provoke the younger generation of composers. And after a while...a long while those modern composers (who are most likely dead) finally become normal.

#1148733 - 01/27/06 05:22 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
The differences between Wagner and Shoenberg are not that big yet many would consider Wagner's music to be far more "beautiful".[/b]
Just a minor comment... Wagner's music is (to begin with--although I'm not going further than that) tonal, Shoenberg's is atonal: there's *a huge* difference.

It was actually Shoenberg who tried to convince the world (and apparently succeeded) that Wagner was leaving tonality (with Tristan), breaking way to atonality. However, Tristan has little or nothing to do with atonality (atonality being lack of tonal center, and thus, lack of tonal tension): Tristan is full of tonal tension, phrases not quite getting to their destinations, etc.... It was Liszt, who begun to break the way, and consciously so.

#1148734 - 01/27/06 08:38 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

snap_apple, i only said 'meaningless' to me or others other than composers themselves, which projects huge difference literally. of course, the music a composer wrote always mean something to him/her. but it doesn't mean it would mean anything to others. i wonder if such modern music would survive when only obscure 'language' they use in composition could be understood by themselves and themselves alone? who else actually wants to go through the trouble trying to understand such language or music, unless we have nothing else better to do, right? such effort may pose nothing more than anything else to music professors or musicology specialists, but for an average person why should we be bothered with that? if the music doesn't sound interesting or even pleasant musically when we first hear it, then why bother to hear it again and for what we need to do that? there's no point to most people who has heard some modern music like that. that's exactly what i actually meant about 'meaningless'.

i fully understand why composers want to be unique and show individuality, which any artists would try to do. Mozart, Beethoven and many others have done that in their time. but even then, they didn't just do it for sake of doing it, and they wanted their music to be heard and understood. i just wonder current age composers understand this simple fact? do they want to be understood or just to try being 'cute' writing stuff only satisfying themselves?

#1148735 - 01/28/06 03:23 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
snap_apple Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
snap_apple, i only said 'meaningless' to me or others other than composers themselves, which projects huge difference literally.[/b]
your right it does.

Quote:

of course, the music a composer wrote always mean something to him/her. but it doesn't mean it would mean anything to others. i wonder if such modern music would survive when only obscure 'language' they use in composition could be understood by themselves and themselves alone? who else actually wants to go through the trouble trying to understand such language or music, unless we have nothing else better to do, right? such effort may pose nothing more than anything else to music professors or musicology specialists, but for an average person why should we be bothered with that? if the music doesn't sound interesting or even pleasant musically when we first hear it, then why bother to hear it again and for what we need to do that? there's no point to most people who has heard some modern music like that. that's exactly what i actually meant about 'meaningless'.

i fully understand why composers want to be unique and show individuality, which any artists would try to do. Mozart, Beethoven and many others have done that in their time. but even then, they didn't just do it for sake of doing it, and they wanted their music to be heard and understood. i just wonder current age composers understand this simple fact? do they want to be understood or just to try being 'cute' writing stuff only satisfying themselves? [/b]
But it's like I said before, it's extremely common and normal for the average person to dislike the new music of their time. Yet the music does live on. Usually only a select few understand the music and enjoy it honestly but over time and over musics naturally evolving process people do come to accept and enjoy it.

Hopefully nobody writes something new or different just for the sake of being new or different. It will never work. Why? because it isn't honest, it's is an attempt, it is a fabricated way of trying to be individual. Nothing like that could ever come from the heart. In a situation where a composer sets out to do something new just to be different they are placing mind above soul and they are better off as inventors rather then musicians.

And of course their are composers who do this...a lot of them...it was actually a taught method from about the late 50's on up. And it is why much of the music from that period (modern) doesn't connect. And for that reson, I do agree with much of what you say, I'm in a way playing devils advocate. And mediocre musicians will also attempt to use their mind to invent to tricks rather then their heart.

But...it doesn't mean that all modern music is like that. Their are composers, the better ones of this generation, that really believe and live and breathe the music they are writing. It's honest and real...it may sound odd but it is more impacting. and that is how all art works.

I like to think of it like this. Their is no bad style. No style of music is bad or wrong or unmusical. Symphonic, Opera, Classical period, Baroque period, Rock and Roll, Serialist, Jazz, Musical theater, hip hop, country, minimilst...thier is no bad style of music. Their is only good or bad Opera, good or bad Serialist music, good or bad hip hop. You can't take one song from a genre and hold it true for all the other songs and song writers of that genre. Same holds true in contemporary music. Their are some brilliant and gifted composers of our generation who have a distinct and honest voice and something important to say. Their are also some who try and imitate or who give in to other writers philosophies and neglect their own or who feel lost in their time period and fail do to a lack of commitment to their own honest feelings. The question is which ones are great writers and which ones aren't. Time usually answers that question for us. But it's impossible to determine that answer in the here and now, we can just try and soak in everything that music has to offer us.

#1148736 - 01/28/06 10:27 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Ethan Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and would like to briefly draw your attention to my 2 original pieces (in the member recordings section) They are intended as the first two pieces in a larger set done in all minor keys. I'm exited about this idea of all minors, and my goal is to humbly offer the piano world a complete 12-key song set of original pieces in the shadow of Chopin's Etudes. I'm not attempting to "crash down pianistic barriers" which have already been shattered a hundred years ago. Nor am I attempting to introduce new techniques. I simply want to create a set of well-crafted, technically satisfying piano pieces which have not been heard.
I want the pianist as a serious composer to return to the fold and to be embraced by the classical community.
In the "Member recordings" section, I was expecting to find much more original compositions by forum members than I did. This forum is an international community of pianists, piano players, and piano lovers. What better a place to nurture new music?

#1148737 - 01/29/06 12:06 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Ethan, welcome. You'll find most of the new compositions in this forum, while you'll find most recordings in that forum. Sift through...there are a number of recordings in this forum. ;\)

#1148738 - 01/29/06 01:02 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
Sostenuto1016 Offline

Loc: Pineville
I'm currently working on a farewell song for the longtime minister of my church on the piano. Starts off soft and ends with a nice twinkling roll in the Treble, which will sound better on the 6-foot kawai at my church.

By the way, welcome Ethan.

-The T

#1148739 - 01/29/06 07:30 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I've just taken to the idea of "polymodality." I heard in a recent lecture that Bartók hated atonal music, but he himself realized the opportunity in being able to use all 12 tones - so he often wrote a piece in, for example, C Major, but he used both the phrygian and lydian modes of C major so that he could use all 12 tones. (phrygian + lydian is the only polymodal combination that gives all 12 tones)

So, I'm working on a piece called (what else?) "polymodality." I'm using both the phrygian and lydian modes so that I can use all 12 tones, and possibly still give some sense of "tonality" to the piece (hopefully).

#1148740 - 01/29/06 08:17 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Sounds like fun, PJ. I just wrote a little cadenza to Liszt's Hungarian No 2 because I can't stand the other one or two I hear people play. (They drive me insane...)

Care to listen?

It's rendered through "Finale". I have sheet music if you'd like to see it. I'll try to upload all that now. It's pretty short...only about 3-4 pages. And I put the "previous section" and the "end" in just so you get a sense of how it fits.

#1148741 - 01/29/06 08:21 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:
Care to listen?
[/b]
lol!!!

\:D

#1148742 - 01/31/06 06:30 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
PianoBeast10489 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia Beach,VA
Symphony No.1 in B minor
Piano Concerto No.5 in Bb Major, II , III
Some preludes, some nocturnes.

Thats about it right now. I've been really busy lately so I am trying to minimize the number of works i have until im not soo busy!

#1148743 - 02/25/06 04:53 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Im writing a set of preludes. I think ill do 12 now, then another 12 in a decade or so. Then compare them. That'd be really interesting.

If your interested, I think about 6 of them are posted here;

members.sibeliusmusic.com/brucejefferies

#1148744 - 02/25/06 05:13 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I just finished this soundtrack for a song called "Captured In Eternity".
http://www.artistcollaboration.com/~johnny-boy/WMA-CAPTURED-INSTR.wma
Best, John

#1148745 - 02/25/06 07:03 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bruce-san:
Im writing a set of preludes. I think ill do 12 now, then another 12 in a decade or so. Then compare them. That'd be really interesting.

If your interested, I think about 6 of them are posted here;

members.sibeliusmusic.com/brucejefferies [/b]
I love writing preludes...they're so much fun. You never know when you're going to write a little gem that stands on its own and says, nodding as vigorously as it can for a little guy, "I can play with the big boys!" ;\)

Here's my lastest one: Link to Thread

#1148746 - 02/25/06 07:46 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
Guri Offline

Currently I'm working on the massive project of rewriting and revamping all my early works. I haven't composed anything really new in the past few months, but nobody knows when the muse will strike next...

#1148747 - 02/26/06 12:39 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
Allazart Offline

Nothing.

Actually, I continue to sketch music but I haven't been able to devote the time to polish them up.

#1148748 - 02/26/06 09:17 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
PianoBeast10489 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Symphony No.1 in B minor
Piano Concerto No.5 in Bb Major, III
Set of 24 preludes (on prelude No.5)
Clarinet Sonata No.1 in Db Major, I, II, III

and I just finished a Nocturne in G minor (I think I'm gonna post that)

#1148749 - 02/27/06 02:41 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I've decided to work on my own prelude set. I'm on 7 of "X" (wrote the first, fifth and sixth in the last 24 hours...the fourth, I wrote a couple days ago...it's the link a few posts up).

Any chance I can get one of you other prelude writers to post some links to your preludes? I'd like to listen while I'm like-minded. \:\)

#1148750 - 02/27/06 06:37 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

Loc: Livonia, MI
Ballade No. 2 in E-flat Major
Overture to 'Earl Grey'
String Quintet No. 1 in A minor
Scherzo in E-flat Minor

whoo!

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148751 - 02/27/06 06:41 PM Re: What are you currently composing?
PianoBeast10489 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I just posted my preludes so far, Derelux. Go take a look!

#1148752 - 03/01/06 12:56 AM Re: What are you currently composing?
L'echange Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Romney WV
I am currently working on several projects

My main one is a theme and variations for string trio. It is a compositional exercise in 12 tone music assigned by my composition teacher. I plan on writing 18 variations, with 2 fugues, one double fugue, and an 'interrupted canon'. I currently have finished the theme and 6 variations (including the interrupted canon)

I am also working on a solo piano piece entitled "the room of sound"

-Albert Camus,

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
09/19/14 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
09/19/14 05:19 PM
Who's Online
113 registered (aesop, 36251, AZ_Astro, 37 invisible), 1099 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157636 Topics
2315385 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission