Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1148753 - 02/26/06 12:15 PM Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

Loc: Livonia, MI
I thought this was a rather different piece of music and kind of chopinesque. I don't know. I feel bad for not posting here much, but i thoght you guys might enjoy this!

you can download the mp3 here: http://www.savefile.com/files/7213327

Thanks, guys!
~Nico

Student Composer

Lover of Music

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1148754 - 02/26/06 09:05 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Wow, Nico, that's really great! The opening sort of reminds me of Chopin, but I don't think the piece as a whole really sounds very Chopinesque. It's very distinct.

In fact, I like it so much, that if I were a much better pianist I'd probably ask you for sheet music!

(but alas, I'm afraid I'm not nearly a good enough pianist yet to play something like this)

#1148755 - 02/26/06 09:13 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
PianoBeast10489 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia Beach,VA
great work nico!

#1148756 - 02/26/06 10:25 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

thanks guys! I posted in here in slight hopes one would be good enough to record this..........*hints*
lol jk. It would be a great honour for me though, in case anyone IS interested. Gah, who am I kidding.

Thanks guys, though!

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148757 - 02/27/06 02:39 AM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
If you want someone else to record it, you should post a score.... *hints* ;\)

#1148758 - 02/27/06 10:27 AM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

PDF HERE!! WHOOOOOO IF ANYONE DOES PLAY THIS I WILL BE FOREVER INDEBTED!! \:D

http://www.youngcomposers.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2228

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148759 - 02/27/06 10:30 AM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Nico, that link didn't work. But I did a search at the website, and I think I found it here:

http://www.youngcomposers.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2186&hl=ballade

#1148760 - 02/27/06 04:29 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

strange...the link works for me

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148761 - 02/27/06 06:32 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

I have a new ballade im working on...but the LH isn't workin out... \:\( I like Chopin! \:D

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148762 - 02/27/06 06:36 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Yes, we all love Chopin. \:D

(but I'm sure even Frycek often had trouble writing his left hand parts. ;\) )

#1148763 - 02/27/06 07:26 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

who was Frycek? Oh by the way, in case you want to see the LH problem I'm having, you can go here:

http://www.youngcomposers.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2233&pid=1116791739&st=0&#entry1116791739

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148764 - 02/27/06 07:39 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

sorry for the double post...

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148765 - 02/27/06 07:40 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

OMG DERULUX I HEARD YOUR RECORDINGS IN THE MEMBER RECORDINGS SECTION AND THEY WERE INCREDIBLE!!! I WOULD FRICKIN PAY YOU TO PLAY THIS BALLADE!!!!!!!

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148766 - 02/27/06 08:23 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by N.S. Canzano ^_^:
who was Frycek?[/b]
Frycek (pronounced Freetz-ihk) was Chopin's nickname as a child.

#1148767 - 02/27/06 09:05 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by N.S. Canzano ^_^:
OMG DERULUX I HEARD YOUR RECORDINGS IN THE MEMBER RECORDINGS SECTION AND THEY WERE INCREDIBLE!!! I WOULD FRICKIN PAY YOU TO PLAY THIS BALLADE!!!!!!! [/b]
*laughs* I'll take a look at it, but I think, before you pay me to play the piece, you should pay me for my advice. But since I'm feeling charitable, I'll give you the advice for free: Get a better pianist if you're going to pay them.

*points to self*
*gets ridiculed all the time by my teacher for various things...all of which, regrettably so, are true*

*laughs* This is what he said to me tonight: "Your hands move faster than God. Speed is not your problem. Your problem is that, when you're playing, you hear about as well as Beethoven."

Even I had to laugh when he said it that way....

So, now we're on the long road towards getting what I hear in my head to actually come through my fingers so everybody else gets to hear it, too. However, if I finish the process anytime soon, I will certainly be willing to accept payment for playing this piece. :p ;\)

#1148768 - 03/01/06 08:19 AM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

oh...well, i was partly kidding about paying you. I was telling you how much I love your playing, but I mean as long as it's not a huge some i guess i could crack open my piggy bank. Or I could get a mediocre recording for free.

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148769 - 03/01/06 08:20 AM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

oh...well, i was partly kidding about paying you. I was telling you how much I love your playing, but I mean as long as it's not a huge some i guess i could crack open my piggy bank. Or I could get a mediocre recording for free from someone else. But it would be nice....... ;\)

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148770 - 03/01/06 09:36 AM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
I think Nicola's desire for someone other than himself to play his piece is absolutely normal. This situation highlights one of the challenges for today's composers. He discovers that one of our fellows is a great player and suggests he'd pay for him to learn his piece. Derulux plays it modest, but manages to avoid committing to learning a piece he "sort of, but not really" asked for the score of.

Why would Derulux resist learning this piece? I can speculate any number of reasons;
1. His teacher wouldn't approve
2. It wouldn't serve him to invest that much time and effort into an unknown piece by an unknown composer.
3. He's got a jury coming up, maybe during the summer.

The bottomline is it's just easier to justify learning another piece by Ravel or yet another Beethoven sonata (afterall one has to learn all 32 if one wants to be famous as a pianist and the world is craving yet another interpretation of this tired repertoire) than to bother with a piece by Chandler (or Canzano). Forgive me if I sound bitter, !@#$ I poured my heart and soul into my Rhapsody and it's sank into the ocean of the piano repertoire with not even a BLEEPIN RIPPLE! Why do we bother????

OK, I've collected myself (sigh!). So did you like that bit of drama? It's easy to get frustrated being a composer.

So Derulux why don't you learn either Nicola's piece or my Rhapsody?

#1148771 - 03/01/06 10:40 AM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Actually, I've been playing around with Nico's Ballade these past couple days. Some of the parts that I thought would be really tricky pianistically actually fit fairly well under the hands.

I like it a lot, and would love to learn it - I do have a jury coming up in a couple of months, and I still have a lot of work to do on my music for that exam, but perhaps if I have time, I would love to try to learn this one. If not now, maybe after my jury.

It really is a great piece of music, Nico!

#1148772 - 03/01/06 03:44 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Steve, I've never seen/heard/heard of your Rhapsody. You should market it better (plugging my college degree right there :p ).

As for learning the piece, I certainly will eventually. I actually think I can sight-read about half of it (because of the wonderfully slow tempo ;\) ). And since Mr. Jerome says the rest fits nicely under the hand, it may not be too bad.

Here's the thing: Even if I learned it right now, today, spent 12 hours in front of a piano until my fingers bled and played it tomorrow, the recording would be the same crappy piano on which and equipment I played the Mephisto Waltz. There are better pianists (and better pianos) around even in the forum to have perform the debut of the work.

As for why I can't learn it right now...it has nothing to do with music, actually. I'm finishing my degree, which is work of its own. But the all-time-consumer would be my novel, which is currently undergoing editing. Lots of editing. And its a tedious pain in the *** that takes up too much time...but it has to get done if I want the novel to ever see the light of day. Add to it that I'm an avid martial artist currently working with three styles throughout the week (aikido, judo and jujitsu) while maintaining my first and base/best style (Isshinryu karate), and that's a handfull on its own. (I've been asked, as a favor, to compete in a benefit tournament for cancer research. They agreed to waive my entrance fee if I would compete. So, I'm competing for fun, but still have to be in shape so I don't get hurt, and call me intense, but I won't enter without a shot at winning, even if it's a long one. Ever since I retired from competitions in 1999, I haven't quite been the same competitor.)

Now, add to all of that job interviews, networking, travelling, consulting (two businesses in Philadelphia, one in the Poconos), and lastly, practicing the piano for what my teacher actually wants me to work on.

So, you see, my time is very limited. In fact, usually when I'm in hear posting, I'm waiting for something else to "finish". (A print, a download, a transfer, a phone call to be returned, an "idea" to spark in my novel [usually the late-night times].)

But if you send me the Rhapsody, I promise here and now that at some point, I will play both it and Canzano's Ballade, and when I have a good piano and good recording equipment, will make recordings of both. You will just have to be patient (see above) until some of those projects (graduation and novel) are done. \:\)

#1148773 - 03/01/06 05:22 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
 Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:
Steve, I've never seen/heard/heard of your Rhapsody. You should market it better (plugging my college degree right there :p ).
[/b]
Hi Derulux,

I know I've posted about my Rhapsody at least twice, but maybe a bit of drama really is what's needed for people to notice. Go to my Soundclick page below and click on the link to music (or just click the link below). The audio file is right there ready for download, then you'll get to hear it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=154036

For the score go to Finale Showcase and search for me or click the link below;

http://www.finalemusic.com/showcase/upload/S0020859H.MUS

I might wait a day before downloading the score as I've decided to respell a few notes enharmonically. If you don't care about such niceties feel free to grab it now. I can play the piece myself though not at tempo. I'll also say that it fits under the hands quite well, but there are a few tricky spots and a hand span of a major tenth is helpful. So if you have a decent sized paw and like a few challenges have at it (please). I extend this invitation goes to all capable players. Thanks.

#1148774 - 03/01/06 08:23 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

Well it's wonderful anybody is even CONSIDERING playing this. I'm going to listen to your rhapsody in a second, Mr. Chandler ;\) . Sam, I'm delighted to hear you've been toying with it, it really makes me feel good as a composer \:\) . After I finished the work, I looked back on the difficulty. I myself sat down and played it (the vivace, at least), and found that the key does indeed fit the hand well (like the fantasie-impromptu does), so it shouldn't be that hard. Whoever ventures to play this, whether is turns out horrible or professional, I would be honoured nonetheless. But you guys might give up on this when I come out with my new piece for piano, the Scherzo-Fantasie in F# Minor....we'll see how that turns out, it's kind of a rip-off of fantasie-impromptu, well not note-wise, but in the idea...but i digress.

Talk to you guys laterrrr,

Nico \:\)

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148775 - 03/01/06 09:40 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Steve-- I'm listening/looking now, and awaiting your email. ;\)

Nico-- I know what you mean about having people play your pieces. I wrote a simple (musically) fantasy piece about 6-7 months ago. I can't play it, or at least, haven't devoted enough time to learn it. I would love to hear somebody play it, but I'm afraid it really works to my strengths, which, sadly, work against most people strengths. (The formidable technique required is unbelievably fast and accurate octave work. The rest, if you can play the Fantasie-Impromptu, you can play this piece...it's the same 4v3. But at the end...well...a quote from a member of this forum, "Jesus, it sounds like there are five pianos playing!")

So, it looks like I'll never hear that one played... \:\(

#1148776 - 03/02/06 08:37 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

Oh, I write pieces like that all the time \:\( . Everyone tells me it's unplayable, then I show them some chopin, and rachmaninoff, and they're like....that's easy. Lol, so I guess you just gotta compare difficulty levels. \:\)

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148777 - 03/03/06 12:32 AM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*laughs* Take a look at Mr. Jerome's latest composition...the 32nd note 7ths at q=160. That's even harder than what I wrote! ;\)

#1148778 - 03/04/06 08:26 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

wow......craziness.

Any other thoughts on the ballade by anyone else?

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148779 - 03/05/06 01:12 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
Question - how do you get such a nice sound out of your un-performed recording? Do you feed the playback from Finale into a particular piano sample set? What I do (until I learn to program pedal lines that is) is feed my playback back into the Yamaha P250 controller keyboard/stage piano I use and do the pedalling myself while it's playing back! (Sure feels weird to do that! lol)

Anyways, I think it's a very nice sound and am very curious. I would play this just to make a point at school that we should still be able to compose Romantic style because it's what the most people like (right now they are trying to coax me towards a late tonal/impressionist style which I actually do want to do, just not 100% of the time! I am happy writing Romantic style pieces, whether early or late, and think it should be "ok" to write them and have them be accepted by the public and inner musical circle alike.

Don't you agree Nico and others??? \:\)

#1148780 - 03/05/06 01:50 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
Heretic Offline

He said he uses GPO (Garritan Personal Orchestra) www.garritan.com. It comes with a reverb (I have it) sounds to me like he's using the cathedral reverb setting.

#1148781 - 03/05/06 06:01 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

I agree 100%. And I'm actually using the Ballroom setting. cathedral is WAY OVERLOADED with reverb.

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1148782 - 03/08/06 06:36 PM Re: Ballade in C-sharp Minor - a challenging piano work....:)
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
Thanks, I will try it and see if it's better than my stage piano sound. You must have to do a whole lot of tweaking to get the dynamics and articulation right though! You must know Finale inside out by now! \:\)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
10/26/14 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
10/25/14 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
10/25/14 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
10/25/14 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
10/25/14 08:34 PM
Who's Online
58 registered (alfredo capurso, 0987654321, Anticlock, 13 invisible), 1025 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327690 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission