Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1148990 - 01/30/06 06:04 PM Corigliano Interview
pianodevo Offline
500 Post Club Member

'Red' composer seeks new challenges
Sunday, January 29, 2006

Like the haunted instrument it portrays, John Corigliano's music for "The Red Violin" has had many lives.

Corigliano initially wrote most of his "Red Violin" score for Francois Girard's film without having viewed a scene. Composers usually create music for movies after shooting ends, tailoring the score to specific dramatic and visual needs. But the Girard narrative, with the eponymous instrument played on screen only by the hands of violinist Joshua Bell, required Corigliano to write all of the fiddle material and for Bell to record the solo part before anyone shouted, "Action!"

Corigliano even scooped the movie, with blessings from the director. While Girard was filming, the composer extracted themes and etudes from his movie score and created "The Red Violin: Chaconne for Violin and Orchestra" for Bell and the San Francisco Symphony. By the time Corigliano finished the underscoring for "The Red Violin" and the film opened in 1999, Bell already had performed the Chaconne with the San Franciscans, the Cleveland Orchestra and other ensembles.

Corigliano won the 2000 Oscar for best film score for "The Red Violin," which might have been enough for most composers. But Corigliano, the son of a noted former concertmaster of the New York Philharmonic, knew he had more violin music in him. In 2003, he added a scherzo, andante and finale to the Chaconne to make a 40-minute violin concerto.

Enter conductor Sheffer, a Corigliano friend and colleague and founder of the now-defunct New York ensemble Eos Orchestra.

"I was advising and on the [Eos] board," said Corigliano recently from his Manhattan apartment. "I can't afford to give Jonathan money, because I'm a composer. That's not what I was there for. But I could give him a piece for his chamber group to play for strings."

The result was "The Red Violin" Suite, Corigliano's last thoughts on music from the film. To devise the suite, Corigliano recomposed sections from the film and extracted cadenzas that largely are independent of his other "Red Violin" pieces.

"Although it overlaps the concerto, there are quite long sections that have nothing to do with the concerto," Corigliano said. "It's quite a different animal. It's not developed on a big line, like the 17-minute Chaconne. There's a lot of material that wouldn't have come to light in the concert world."

If financing comes through, a Sony Classical recording of the Violin Concerto will happen in June with Bell and the Baltimore Symphony under Marin Alsop. Corigliano's "Red Violin" Suite is available on a Chandos disc featuring violinist Ella Turovsky and I Musici de Montreal led by Yuri Turovsky.

Some of the inspiration for Corigliano's various "Red Violin" musings go back to his childhood. He grew up in New York listening to his father, also named John, practice violin at home and at rehearsals for concerto appearances at Carnegie Hall with the New York Philharmonic.

"I would sit in the green room [during concerts] because I was too nervous to sit in the hall," said Corigliano. "It was really difficult for me. I must say that I took that into my adult life. Only about 20 years ago did I begin to listen to my own pieces in the hall. I didn't want it to be too real."

Those decades have brought much attention and acclaim to Corigliano, 68, whose opera, "The Ghosts of Versailles," had its premiere at the Metropolitan Opera in 1991. He won the Pulitzer Prize for music in 2001 for his Symphony No. 2, a reworking of the quartet he wrote for the Cleveland Quartet.

His experience composing movie music extends to the late '70s, when he supplied the hallucinatory score for Ken Russell's "Altered States" that garnered him an Oscar nomination. Aside from the Russell movie and "The Red Violin," Corigliano's only other film credit is "Revolution," made in England.

Corigliano said writing for the concert hall and opera house is a different artistic exercise from composing for movies, in which everything is specific to atmosphere, character and timing.

"When you're doing a film, you're serving a purpose," he said. "In concert music, you're not fulfilling a need. I think we do fulfill a need, but psychologically, that's not how you feel. An orchestra just says write 25 to 30 minutes of music."

Since the mammoth challenges - and big critical success, despite the paucity of subsequent productions - of "The Ghosts of Versailles," Corigliano hasn't considered writing another opera. But he said he would like to compose a musical-theater piece.

"The problem is, you need a collaborator and not a commission," said Corigliano. "That's true even for Steve Sondheim. You've got to write it first and show you can do it. Somehow, I will, but it will take a little more time to organize that.

"I want to do something new. It's always got to be something I haven't done to discover things and learn things and get excited about things I don't know."

At the moment, Corigliano's brain is percolating about a piece for wordless chorus and orchestra. Otherwise, he's doing master classes and workshops and waiting for the next artistic project to rear its head.

"It's a bit scary," he said. "It would be nice to have something to do."

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1148991 - 01/30/06 09:21 PM Re: Corigliano Interview
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
they're going to play 'red violin suite' in Cleveland (CSU) some time in Feb. i actually liked the music when i saw the film. it sounds pretty classical with great melodic lines.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pain in hands while playing piano - looking for advice!
by Justin_B
Today at 10:15 AM
Buying a piano
by tim1889
Today at 09:45 AM
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
Today at 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
Today at 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Who's Online
131 registered (36251, accordeur, ando, AmateurBob, 42 invisible), 1397 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157640 Topics
2315506 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission