Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1149517 - 03/05/06 01:19 PM What styles can we really "get away" with writing nowadays?
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
Commenting on Nico's Ballade just a moment ago really made me want to raise this question - It feels like Classical music is really cornering itself right now with the whole post-modernism trend. We really don't know what musical styles (not from the past) we can both enjoy and also accept as new works. I mean, I can really only see one new way of being unique, and it still won't be possible until music technology develops even further than it has now, with the work that research-and-developpers (like me) are doing to make this possible.

In the meantime, what is so wrong with just setting aside our qualms about doing things that have already been done, and just use the styles of music we like as "starting places" for original endeavors by particularly creative composers to take off from? I think alot of composers nowadays feel very insecure about their compositions (myself included) just because we know how particularly hard it is (not that it was ever easy) to please everyone within the larger musical circle of people who enjoy absolute and programmed music.

Thoughts?

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1149518 - 03/05/06 01:38 PM Re: What styles can we really "get away" with writing nowadays?
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quoth Bartok:

"Every art has the right to strike its roots in the art of a previous age; it not only has the right to but it must stem from it."

#1149519 - 03/05/06 02:04 PM Re: What styles can we really "get away" with writing nowadays?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
I guess the bottom line on composing is to please ourselves. If in turn we find an audience, that's great.

I think as long as music is well done there will be an audience no matter what style one is composing.

I'd rather find a small selective audience that truly appreciates my music than to have a large audience of trend seekers that just want to appear hip.

Best, John

#1149520 - 03/05/06 02:38 PM Re: What styles can we really "get away" with writing nowadays?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Bach "...drew together almost all of the strands of the baroque style and brought it to its ultimate maturity. Although he introduced no new musical forms, he enriched the prevailing German style...." --Wikipedia

Liszt, similarly, took music that already existed and played with it.

I see no problem doing so today.

#1149521 - 03/05/06 03:40 PM Re: What styles can we really "get away" with writing nowadays?
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Bartok, when he was younger, really liked Strauss. So his first composition (non-published) was a waltz that sounded just like a Viennese Waltz. Then he found out that he really liked Chopin, so he started writing (non-published) polonaises that sounded just like Chopin. Then he found out that he really liked Brahms, so he started writing (non-published) intermezzos that sounded just like Brahms.

It wasn't until his early 20s when he discovered folk music that he started to become innovative and discover his own unique style.

Same thing with Beethoven. During his teenage years, he wasn't concerned about finding his own style. He was perfectly happy just following the formulas of his day and age, and he learned a great deal in doing so. Then, in his 20s, he started to develop his own style, and he started to publish more of his works with opus numbers.

Prokofiev, when he was a kid, contented himself in writing "Liszt Rhapsodies." His mother had to explain to him that he couldn't write a "Liszt" Rhapsody, because Liszt was a composer not a genre. Listen to his first published Sonata, Op. 1 - it sounds just like Chopin. It wasn't until later that he began to develop his own unique style.

#1149522 - 03/05/06 05:40 PM Re: What styles can we really "get away" with writing nowadays?
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I've dabbled in a lot of musical styles and I always find myself coming back to tonal, romantic sounding music. I've ceased to care about finding a completely different sound - because if I find it, chances are I won't really enjoy making music in that style. I'm comfortable writing in a romantic style, and if it's not completely new, so what...

Now, try telling that to my composition professor back in my college days... \:\)

#1149523 - 03/05/06 06:02 PM Re: What styles can we really "get away" with writing nowadays?
N.S. Canzano ^_^ Offline

Loc: Livonia, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny-Boy:
I guess the bottom line on composing is to please ourselves. If in turn we find an audience, that's great.

I think as long as music is well done there will be an audience no matter what style one is composing.

I'd rather find a small selective audience that truly appreciates my music than to have a large audience of trend seekers that just want to appear hip.

Best, John [/b]
couldn't have said it better

Student Composer

Lover of Music

#1149524 - 04/01/06 07:31 AM Re: What styles can we really "get away" with writing nowadays?
Max W Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: RHUL
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
Bartok, when he was younger, really liked Strauss. So his first composition (non-published) was a waltz that sounded just like a Viennese Waltz. Then he found out that he really liked Chopin, so he started writing (non-published) polonaises that sounded just like Chopin. Then he found out that he really liked Brahms, so he started writing (non-published) intermezzos that sounded just like Brahms.[/b]
I find this, because I listen and play music much more often than I compose, when I do sit down to compose, my 'style' has shifted dramatically. There are certain idiosyncracies that always stick though.

I can totally identify with this

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
152 registered (accordeur, 36251, ajames, A Guy, Abby Pianoman, 48 invisible), 1585 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75901 Members
42 Forums
156861 Topics
2304874 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Masterclass etiquette doubt
by Francisco Scalco
08/22/14 10:21 AM
Using the drum tracks on KAWAI MP6 piano
by Dr Jazz
08/22/14 08:39 AM
4K piano purchase question
by ConstantlyConfused
08/22/14 08:17 AM
Do you use a method series to teach jazz? What series?
by Maechre
08/22/14 07:39 AM
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
08/22/14 03:14 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission