Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1149766 - 01/02/06 06:00 AM How hard is it for you to be original in your compositions?
hanna2222 Offline

Loc: Northeast Ohio
I find I fall into a lot of musical cliches
when I write stuff...
I think this is where those of you with
better technique, stronger musical backgrounds
may have the advantage.
But it could be lazy thinking on my part too.
Any thoughts on this?
2. How he treats those who cannot
fight back.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1149767 - 01/02/06 03:55 PM Re: How hard is it for you to be original in your compositions?
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
Very hard at first... but you can't worry about that at first... alot of people agree that you kind of have to imitate other composers, songwriters, and the cliches that come from them, until your own voice emerges. One should never worry about this during their "student" period. IMO, the only thing one should worry about at first, is to avoid being "cheesy", shallow, or superficial in their music, unless they are trying to write background music of some kind, in which case it doesn't matter.

#1149768 - 01/02/06 05:17 PM Re: How hard is it for you to be original in your compositions?
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
It is very easy for me, but I do not think it a good idea to worry about how original you are. For instance, if something comes out sounding a lot like Chopin or Waller or somebody else then just let it. Your own voices have to evolve naturally. Indeed, in many people they do not emerge until quite late in life. I cannot see any sense in striving for originality per se. But neither ought we to adoringly emulate the masters or rope in our creations with theories based on what they did.

#1149769 - 01/02/06 05:41 PM Re: How hard is it for you to be original in your compositions?
matthewpiano Offline

Loc: North West United Kingdom
I think the key thing is experience. Experience of life and experience of music.

Alongside my classical piano studies, I have always written songs in a more popular/rock music style but it is only now, at the age of 27 (with about 50 years of life crammed in) that I am starting to feel confident about my product. Life experience informs interesting and original creativity better than anything.

I think my 'sponge' repsonse to a huge range of music has helped as well. I soak up everything I can. As an illustration the list of performers I have seen includes, Alfred Brendel; Kissin; John Lill; several operas (La Traviata, Tosca, Ascanio in Alba, Carmen etc.); several musicals (Les Mis; Phantom; Evita; Guys & Dolls; JCS etc.); most of the great British orchestras; Fleetwood Mac; Elton John; Battlefield BAnd; Ralph McTell; Phats & Small; Animals; Steeleye Span; BJH; Acoustic Strawbs; Maddy Prior & The Carnival Band; Julian Bream; BBC Big BAnd; Jethro Tull; the Lindsay Quartet.

In addition to the classical, rock/pop, folk, theatre etc. I also love jazz and have particular affection for Louis Armstrong, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane and Miles Davis.

I have performed (as pianist, singer or clarinettist) in classical music (including Rach 2, Grieg A Minor, and Beethoven 'Emperor'); theatre music; jazz (including solo and Big Band); opera (as repetiteur); choral (Bach B Minor Mass and St. Matt Passion as repetiteur) etc. etc.

I live and breathe music and this is what is slowly developing my compositional skills. I believe its the only way.

#1149770 - 01/03/06 12:24 AM Re: How hard is it for you to be original in your compositions?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
The saying comes to mind,

"There's nothing new under the sun."

But along the same lines as matthewpiano listening to a huge variety of styles, I think, keeps the creative juices flowing.

Maybe the key is to not try so hard or make such a conscious effort to be original. I've never put too much thought into purposely setting out to be original nor do I go around purposely trying to duplicate what I hear in music. I just go with whatever idea comes out. To me it all seems original because if I made up something I hadn't heard elsewhere before, it's original.

I do get stuck in one "form" mostly though - question/answer type phrases with song-like tunes. I attribute that to absorbing like a sponge listening as a kid to so much children's and folk songs and other little song tunes that style just naturally comes out whenever I write almost like writing rhyming poetry. For me the music almost has to "rhyme" and I am not original from the standpoint of trying to break out of that style.

#1149771 - 01/03/06 05:34 AM Re: How hard is it for you to be original in your compositions?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
 Quote:
Originally posted by kcoul058:
Very hard at first... but you can't worry about that at first... alot of people agree that you kind of have to imitate other composers, songwriters, and the cliches that come from them, until your own voice emerges. One should never worry about this during their "student" period. IMO, the only thing one should worry about at first, is to avoid being "cheesy", shallow, or superficial in their music, unless they are trying to write background music of some kind, in which case it doesn't matter. [/b]
I have to agree with everything except the "cheesy" line. ;\) The best student learns to immediately imitate their teacher. After all, it is the quickest way to learn anything. "Do what I do." And after the student learns what the teacher has to teach, the student can progress and further the art itself, but not until the student has learned a substantial amount can this actually take place. ;\)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
10/25/14 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Who's Online
120 registered (accordeur, 0987654321, anotherscott, A Guy, Anne'sson, 31 invisible), 1566 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76653 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327551 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission