Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1149940 - 08/21/06 08:03 PM Difference between "compose" and "write" a song.
jowook Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO, USA
Hey guys. I don't have any musical background. I am not even a native English speaker. I am an engineer who always struggles with damn difficult English conversation with co-workers and clients. So please don't blame me too musch because of this stupid question. So the question is what is the difference between "compose" and "write" a song. Thanks guys.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1149941 - 08/21/06 08:09 PM Re: Difference between "compose" and "write" a song.
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
none whatsoever.

#1149942 - 08/22/06 05:35 AM Re: Difference between "compose" and "write" a song.
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
i agree with signa, but i've often noticed people (including myself) referring to piano solo or other instrumental pieces as having been 'composed' whereas songs with lyrics often tend to be referred to as 'written'.

The word 'composed' seems to carry a bit of prestige or something. For example if 'writers' of Britney Spears songs were referred to regularly as 'composers' (which they are of course), it would sound a bit out of place to some.

#1149943 - 08/22/06 04:35 PM Re: Difference between "compose" and "write" a song.
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
To me, composed is a classical or new age composition concept...A more serious piece of music... without words... When referred to as written ...not composed ...I think of a song with words...Sandy B

#1149944 - 09/18/06 04:34 PM Re: Difference between "compose" and "write" a song.
Poof Offline

Loc: TX
Ok, I know this topic is kind of old, but I was thinking about this the other day. It seems to me that composing refers to a song without words-just notes, and writing refers to just the words of a song. Of course, I'm no expert here. Actually, I think the terms can be interchanged. It just seems logical to me for them to be separate, though. \:\) But then what if it has no words and you add them later???

#1149945 - 09/18/06 05:12 PM Re: Difference between "compose" and "write" a song.
g#maj Offline

Loc: No. Va
I think I compose, rather than write, music because I take the terms literally. At best, one of my pieces will have only a few notes sketched out on paper -- call that 'written.' Writing, then, just lets me see a pattern instead of only hear it. Writing is painfully slow and unattractive because I do it longhand; I do it only for selected parts. I record full compositions on tape, and none has lyrics.

For these reasons I don't think I 'write' music.

To me, 'compose' is a broader music term that simply means I've created something. I do record it on tape so I can recall it. Recording is a separate activity from composing.

I probably got these notions from reading instructions at the Copyright office. My notions could be errant, for all I know, but they make sense to me.

If ever I registered a copyright for an instrumental melody, then added words later, I'd just file a copyright correction form to amend the first filing. But I think you could also file a registration of lyrics, and on that form you could reference the prior registration? I realize this thread wasn't about copyrights, but copyright processes give structure to my thoughts about writing vs. composing.

#1149946 - 09/29/06 08:22 AM Re: Difference between "compose" and "write" a song.
I. Bruton Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Raleigh
Hey guys,

A song with lyrics or an instrumental piece is composing. In other words, if someone has taken the time to place notation on a sheet of paper, then it has been composed and/or arranged.

Writing a song implies that there is only a lyric sheet/chord chart available or the song is passed around aurally through folk gatherings, recordings, etc.

JMHO, hope it helps.
High School Choral Director
Church Music Director
Pianos owned: Yamaha C3
Pianos at work: Yamaha P22, Kawai K3, Steinway B

#1149947 - 10/04/06 04:50 PM Re: Difference between "compose" and "write" a song.
vik Offline

Loc: Canada
This is my personal opinion. It differs a bit from I. Bruton's but not by much.

Writing a song = applies to lyrics ONLY.

Composing a song = applies to anything that will give a harmony, rhythm or melody.

#1149948 - 01/07/07 08:08 AM Re: Difference between "compose" and "write" a song.
t_noble77 Offline

Loc: Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Old topic, I know, but it grabbed me as I went through the old posts, so I felt like blundering in with my opinion ;\)

I think, to pick up on things said by the other posters, the generally accepted difference is that "compose" is associated with so-called "high culture" (ie. art music) and "write" is associated with low culture (ie. popular music such as rock or R'N'B). If you stop to think about it though, it is quite ironic that someone making art music will, for the most part, "write" his or her music down on paper before it's ever performed. In what seems like a previous life, the rock band I played in never wrote down a single note of the music it played but, now that I compose string quartets and clarinet sonatas, I spend my days and nights scrawling arcane symbols on bits of paper.

Even more interesting to me is that the Latin origin of the English word "compose" is "compono", which means "I put together". Whether we make art music, rock or jazz - and don't even get me started on the problems with labelling different styles of music - aren't we all, in the end, just "putting together" sounds, in various combinations, to form melodies, harmonies and rhythms? Only the unfortunate few are forced to write it down...

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hammond Repair?
by tjbron
24 minutes 2 seconds ago
Sight-reading books or resources for a beginner?
by Giancarlo Robles
Today at 10:52 AM
Typical % markup on price dealer pays for a piano
by pianoloverus
Today at 10:24 AM
calling all users of Ivory II American D
by dire tonic
Today at 08:29 AM
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
Today at 06:07 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (Almaviva, 36251, anamnesis, ajames, AndresD, 39 invisible), 1729 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76613 Members
42 Forums
158414 Topics
2326358 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission