2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
85Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
So I have a great piano tune finished but I don't plan on putting any lyrics in it at this time and so I cant take the chorus line and put it as the title.

Does anyone have any tips for coming up with a title for a song like this?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Random words. wink

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
^^ what he said.

Does Scott Joplin's "Pineapple Rag" have anything to do with pineapples? How about the famous "Maple Leaf"? smile

Sam
85Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
haha, sounds like a plan

thanks

lets see....smooth, flowing type song...
I think "Flowing River" fits well.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The first step in avoiding cliches is to recognize them, which you just did. Now find something more original. smile

Not that "Flowing River" is so horrible as a title, but it's kinda boring and predictable. It's what anyone would choose for a smooth, flowing type song. Be bold and dramatic!

If the image of a river came up when I would be trying to name a piece, I would call it "Downstream" (still kinda boring but not too obvious either) or "Overwhelming Quantities of Water" or "The River Swallowed All Of Us" or something. laugh

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Well Moonlight would be cliche, but translated into French it's Claire de lune. So what's French for flowing river. Another thought would be to get more specific, what river, what part of that river, what's special about that part of the river. All rivers flow, but only a few have caught fire (as the Cuyahoga in Ohio did in the 70s), so if your piece is a bit agitated you could try calling it Floating Fire.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
V
V
La rivière couler
is flowing river

Les rapides de la rivière
is River rapids

well I'm 20 years old, and I'm teaching myself piano.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if you didn't compose it with a specific idea in mind, then get a name which fits the sound image of it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I Like to keep a journal of titles I run across that I find inspiring....sometimes I'll play a new piece for a family/friend and ask what it sounds like to them...most recently I have a friend sending me wonderful lyrics and then of course, they are the inspiration for the music.

rada
www.pianopassions.com

hi hi, vanityx3 "La rivière couler" would mean "The drowning river", interesting but quite surreal! (Oh but the second name is perfectly spelled). But a good name could be "Le flot de la rivière". I can come up with a bunch of french song name if it interest anyone, it's my native language laugh But I personnaly don't go for names in languages that I don't know for the main reason that if I can't say/write it right or even worst, can't remember how it's named, better find something better in my own language.

I like choosing a name that would match my starting point. If it's for a movie score it will get a name related to the scene where it's used. When I'm exploring a style/tonality, I'm not afraid of naming it "Waltz in C sharp minor no.1" at least I won't forget it. I'm actually working on something that I've called "Presque ré mineur" or "Almost D minor" where I'm exploring cheating with tonality.

Grotrian-Steinweg 160 #98923
T
T
I am a new composer, and new to this forum. The pieces I have composed are only instrumental, so I come up with names that fit the sound of the music. For example: one of my compositions is a slow, sad waltz. I titled it Dancing Alone.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Or you could follow Torke's lead and name it after a tool. Maybe "Velvet Sledgehammer"?

Scott
D
D
Rada,
I Like to keep a journal of titles I run across that I find inspiring
That's a great idea! I'm going to start doing that. Not that I've got an abundance of unnamed instrumental pieces just lying around. But still, I like it.

I like the following by ScottM:
Maybe "Velvet Sledgehammer"?
I like the "material tool" equation. Going along those lines, you might want to use "Porcelain Rake" as well. That conjures up all kinds of imagery. Also, you can insert the word "the" to add even more power to material tool titles. For instance, "The Porcelain Rake" sounds a bit foreboding to me. Then again, that might not accurately describe the mood of "Flowing River", but maybe another piece. wink

dave

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by ScottM:
Maybe "Velvet Sledgehammer"?
laugh

Du holde Kunst...
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by 85Dave:

lets see....smooth, flowing type song...
I think "Flowing River" fits well.
I absolutely agree with Mahlzeit that cliches like Flowing River should be avoided at all costs. eek

One possibility is to let the first and most obvious cliche about the mood of the piece pop into your head, and then do a bit of mental riffing on the words:

Flowing.... smooth.. silky... etc (use a Thesaurus if you have to) and then go for something a bit eye-catching:

Satin Sheets
Cucumber Caress (if the piece sounds cool enough...)
Silk Lightning (not for the slower tune of course...)
Cream Dream
Caramel Creek

Well, I expect you can do better than that.... wink

Cheers,

Chris

Who needs feet of clay? I can get into enough trouble with feet made of regular foot stuff...
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by ScottM:
Or you could follow Torke's lead and name it after a tool. Maybe "Velvet Sledgehammer"?
VELVET SLEDGEHAMMER!

WHAT A COOL NAME FOR A PIECE OF MUSIC.

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT ONE?

laugh

Jeanne W

P.S. Best way to come up with titles I have found is to be on the lookout for words and phrases that could be possible titles as you go about your day. Write them down and save them so you have a store of titles to choose from.

P.P.S. The reason for title-ing a song, for me anyway, is so it's easy to tell them apart. I used to just date my pieces of music, but it was impossible for me to remember which was which.

P.P.S. I think, however, it's not always beneficial to place the kind of a title on a piece of music that conjures pictures up in a person's mind about the music, i.e. Autumn Leaves, Dancers Waltz, One Step From Heaven, etc.. I'd rather let the listener figure out for him/herself what the music may be about or saying.

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission