2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
How could you improve as a composer? My answer: "Go to bed an hour early and wake up an hour earlier allowing for more quiet-creative time alone." Sandy B

Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm uncomfortable with longer forms. I can do pieces of a page or so in length, which is good since I write a lot of didactic music, but I'd like to work on some big things - a sketch for a sonata and some ideas for extended variation sets are in my notebook.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would like to really explore the 12 tone methods in detail, and see if there I can write truly euphonic and yet artistically pleasing music with this technique...I'll keep you posted.

Music is the surest path to excellence

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT
Pianoexcellence Tuning and Repairs
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
An extended variation set should be a comfortable thing to write. It's just lots of small pieces gathered together, and derived in some manner from a common source.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Antonius Hamus:
An extended variation set should be a comfortable thing to write. It's just lots of small pieces gathered together, and derived in some manner from a common source.
Uh, that's one way to look at it, but I don't think you'll find the results satisfying. A composer simply must be cognizant of the dramatic progression of any larger scale work. There must be a climax or what I like to think of as a moment of magic. Such moments take planning and inspiration, they don't just happen in a collection of "lots of small pieces gathered together, and derived in some manner from a common source."

One of the reasons I suggest variations as a form is because it eliminates other issues in addressing this concern with larger scale forms. For example, gone is the issue of contrasting theme groups and how to keep them relevant to each other (as well as transitioning from one to the next). To those uncomfortable with larger scales the suggestion is obvious, practice makes perfect. It's said composers teach themselves by doing.

This thread is interesting because it should give each of us the most important issue we should be addressing in improving as composers. My issue is time, but I'm going through a life change (divorce) and may have a lot of time soon (hopefully at least more).

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Dear Steve, So sorry about your divorce and I have been there and done that too. Divorce is what caused me to break away from my composing. My teacher really was pressing me to go to a conservatory as a gifted future composer. Wish I had put the divorce off for my art. Hope you do not lose your artistic composing energy to divorce the way I did. Respectfully, Sandy B

193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Antonius...Your post reminded me of this: That is what I read recently that Leonard Bernstein said about" Rhapsody In Blue, he said, " It is many variations pasted together. "Could someone explain this to me please? I took it he was not giving a favorable review of this Gershwin masterpiece? Bernstein performed this himself at the piano as I have the recording. Sandy B

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I guess that's why you don't like Beethoven's Diabelli Variations, Steve. Not that I advocated putting those small pieces together without thinking at all about the organization. Or even necessarily using all of them. Beethoven of course thought about the organization, and the first variation is, for example, one of the last he composed for the set.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Perhaps Steve can include an explanation of that, Sandy, in his very hypothetical future reply to me.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Sandy,

I don't know a lot about Rhapsody in Blue, but variations are found in many compositions that are not called "variations." For example, in sonatas, the recapitulation is always a variation of the exposition (different key scheme, different transition, but same ideas). Sonata developments are no more than variations on small parts of the themes. Often a particular theme is played twice, but the second time it is embellished or played with a different left hand part or played in a different key -- i.e. the second time is a variation of the first. Sometimes, in Mozart's sonatas, the secondary theme is derived in some way from the primary theme -- i.e. it is a variation. Etc....

That being said, my impression of Rhapsody in Blue has always been that it's the same theme over and over again, and yet it still feels like a diverse piece of music. I don't know enough to say if it is a "Theme and Variations", but certainly it is composed of many variations on one of the themes.

Sam
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you and I appreciate your time to share your thinking. I have a more clear understanding now. Sandy B

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Sometimes the sonata development contains a new theme or new thematic material, though, as in Mozart's 13th piano sonata (I'd recall/think). I also suppose there are some boundaries to just how far a theme can go without becoming a new theme and not a variation, even if it's still in some way derived from the original theme.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Good point, Antonius -- but what happens with that new theme?

Sam
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
It gets played, and then goes to see other themes in the graveyard of themes.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
My hypothetical response to what? Rhapsody in Blue or the Diabelli Variations. Bernstein may have viewed Rhapsody in Blue as a set of variations, but I don't. Yes, there is variation, but they never reach the degree that would be normal for a set of variations and the fundamental character of the theme isn't changed. The point that Sonata form usually includes variation in the repetition of themes is true, but again the underlying character of the themes isn't changed. Development can include new themes, it can include rhythmic spinning out of motives from the main or secondary themes, it can include significant changes in harmonization. The whole point of development is to explore remote outposts such that when the recapitulation occurs you feel like you've come home.

As for the Diabelli Variations, we've discussed this. I just don't find them engaging music. Try not to be hurt by the fact that great minds don't always think alike. That's the beauty of diversity.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
You don't have to like the Diabelli Variations, but if that's at all because the set doesn't showcase a sweeping dramatic progression, and is rather "a group of small pieces gathered together, deriving from a common source", then perhaps your idea of what a "very satisfying" variation set consists of isn't "very satisfying" to some of us, including Beethoven (when he was alive). That's what I was getting at.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
You don't have to like the Diabelli Variations, but if that's at all because the set doesn't showcase a sweeping dramatic progression, and is rather "a group of small pieces gathered together, deriving from a common source", then perhaps your idea of what a "very satisfying" variation set consists of isn't "very satisfying" to some of us, including Beethoven (when he was alive). That's what I was getting at.
Are you telling me I'm being unfair to old LvB because one of the components I consider necessary for a large scale work to be considered "great" is that it be engaging music from start to finish. Since when is "a group of small pieces gathered together, deriving from a common source" sufficient to call a piece of music a work of genius or even a satisfying set of variations?
Frankly you're grasping at straws and being insulting in the process. I thought I was being gracious by admitting that great minds don't always think alike. Sadly, you are not returning the favor.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i love Beethoven's Diabelli variations, and wish i could have a fraction of such an ability as Beethoven's to develop a variation set like that. i usually have some ideas on themes, but once i need to develop something from the theme, i would find myself wandering around without knowing where to go...

I like Op. 34 and Op. 35 more. laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Steve Chandler:
[b] You don't have to like the Diabelli Variations, but if that's at all because the set doesn't showcase a sweeping dramatic progression, and is rather "a group of small pieces gathered together, deriving from a common source", then perhaps your idea of what a "very satisfying" variation set consists of isn't "very satisfying" to some of us, including Beethoven (when he was alive). That's what I was getting at.
Are you telling me I'm being unfair to old LvB because one of the components I consider necessary for a large scale work to be considered "great" is that it be engaging music from start to finish.[/b]
No. And I wonder how you read that into what I wrote. Even suggesting that I could care about your being anything to Beethoven seems ludicrous to me (unless I cared about it for your own sake). The Diabelli Variations doesn't need your approval any more than mine, even far less does Beethoven. The set is already considered as one of the greatest works that Beethoven composed, considered as such by greater minds than you. Alfred Brendel, for an example, writes that it's "the greatest of all piano works." And I suppose there's no need for me to elaborate on *Beethoven's* status.

My previous response was a clarification of my initial response to *your* initial reply to my first post in this thread. My point was, and continues to be, that you can write me "uh, [what a stupid thing to say]" all you want, but I'm more concerned with how minds far greater than yours have approached the composition of variation sets, in this case how Beethoven approached it in his greatest variation set.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission