Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1150562 - 01/07/06 02:55 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you?
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I went to a performance of the Juilliard String Quartet once, and they played a string quartet by Elliot Carter. It's a form of "musical journalism," and the point of this particular work was to describe the sounds of an orchestra warming up. So the four players were playing completely random stuff, some scales, some random excerpts, tuning, etc. Everynow and then, one guy would be playing something and the others would tag along and play the same thing, and then they'd all break up and play random stuff again....

Not very enjoyable music, IMO.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1150563 - 01/07/06 05:30 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you?
iNBi Offline

Loc: Switzerland
I saw this program that studies music on TV the other day and they showed this trick where your mind is illuded into thinking that a note is played in a pitch that's constantly increasing, while in fact the pitch was merely going in circles. I don't know how this worked but my point is that you got the exact same feeling in your stomach as if someone was playing an eternal ascending chromatic scale.

NOW, for a moment this may seem cool and interesting, but believe me after about an hour of this you would undoubtably be on your knees, beginning to be put out of your misery.

#1150564 - 01/09/06 08:45 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you?
Sostenuto1016 Offline

Loc: Pineville
Sitting in a white room with huge bose earphones (built so I couldn't take them off) playing heavy metal as loud as possible for all eternity. I think my head would explode after 3 hours though.

The T

#1150565 - 01/14/06 08:05 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you?
stuie Offline

Loc: Wolverhampton, England
Pop, half of them are untalented, those that are talented rarely sing about anything worthwhile, and some of them can't even perform live so they have to mime, i believe alot of pop is a desecration to music and rapes something so beautiful.

Then again alot of people would say alot about rock which i listen to alot of, Heavy metal, Metal, and rock in general... i just feel theres alot more to identify with in rock.. pain etc... you can have happy upbeat rock songs and then down right depressing rock songs. Pop fails here it always seems to be upbeat and never really comes from the heart or soul it just seems so fake... so false. When a song moves you to the very core of your soul... when it sends shivers down your spine... thats when you have a brilliant song.

By music being raped by the pop scene i mean things like the crazy frog tune, the cheeky girls, the cha cha slide, 'the streets', the black eyed peas, and lets not forget that person who sang "my neck, my back lick my *censored* and whatever else it was" not an exact quote but it got millions of listeners.... oh and the JCB song... if i could kill just one person... it'd be the creator of the JCB song

#1150566 - 01/16/06 04:26 AM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you?
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
 Quote:
Originally posted by stuie:
Pop, half of them are untalented, those that are talented rarely sing about anything worthwhile, and some of them can't even perform live so they have to mime, i believe alot of pop is a desecration to music and rapes something so beautiful.

Then again alot of people would say alot about rock which i listen to alot of, Heavy metal, Metal, and rock in general... i just feel theres alot more to identify with in rock.. pain etc... you can have happy upbeat rock songs and then down right depressing rock songs. Pop fails here it always seems to be upbeat and never really comes from the heart or soul it just seems so fake... so false. When a song moves you to the very core of your soul... when it sends shivers down your spine... thats when you have a brilliant song.

By music being raped by the pop scene i mean things like the crazy frog tune, the cheeky girls, the cha cha slide, 'the streets', the black eyed peas, and lets not forget that person who sang "my neck, my back lick my *censored* and whatever else it was" not an exact quote but it got millions of listeners.... oh and the JCB song... if i could kill just one person... it'd be the creator of the JCB song [/b]
I agree with all of the above! (the last paragraph in particular illustrates the quallity of music dominating our charts. If anybody hasnt heard any of the examples above, I would recommend that you.......DONT BOTHER!!!

#1640364 - 03/13/11 08:56 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: hanna2222]
piano-ninja Offline

Loc: North Carolina
being forced to play a song that is to hard for me to play for days in front of people who hate it and hate me for playing it.

#1640540 - 03/14/11 06:01 AM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: pianojerome]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Something has gone wrong when a composer decides that the process is more important than the result.

Pop doesn't upset me. At least it's generally served up in quite short chunks :-)

#1640611 - 03/14/11 09:45 AM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat
Something has gone wrong when a composer decides that the process is more important than the result.

Pop doesn't upset me. At least it's generally served up in quite short chunks :-)

I agree with both points. Pop music is something that can be related to by millions. You don't have to listen to it. Neither do you have to listen to the super modern stuff. I generally don't when it sounds too random.

As for the OP, perhaps you've seen the Farside cartoon where the devil is showing a maestro into a room full of accordion players. The caption, "This way maestro."

#1640951 - 03/14/11 06:03 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: Steve Chandler]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler
As for the OP, perhaps you've seen the Farside cartoon where the devil is showing a maestro into a room full of accordion players. The caption, "This way maestro."

"There ain't no coda" :-)

#1648460 - 03/26/11 05:14 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: hanna2222]
Happy Birthday WinsomeAllegretto Offline
500 Post Club Member

The biggest musical torture I could think of right now would be having to listen to that awful "Friday" song on repeat.

#1648596 - 03/26/11 09:13 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: hanna2222]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
RAP
I say RIP to RAP...

Music is my best friend.

#1648725 - 03/27/11 04:00 AM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
AdlerAugen Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Originally Posted By: WinsomeAllegretto
The biggest musical torture I could think of right now would be having to listen to that awful "Friday" song on repeat.

I couldn't make it past 30 seconds into that particular song...

And on topic again:

1. Having no fingers
2. Having vocal chords damaged as to cause an inability to phonate.
3. Having to listen to that song "let's get physical" for an eternity. It's bad enough when it shows up on the oldies station even once.

#1653155 - 04/02/11 02:08 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: hanna2222]
Shadow2662 Offline

1.) Listening to Rap or Metal Rock for eternity
2.) Listening to Jurassic Park theme for eternity (Long story but took a band trip to disneyland once, rode on Jurassic Park ride, and sat outside it talking to two friends and all we heard was the main theme over and over again! AAAARRRGGGGHHH)
3.) I hope I don't offend anyone with this but listening to John Williams music (is it just me, or do most of his themes sound similar to one another?)
4.) Playing Mozart for eternity
5.) Playing the piece "Four Scottish Dances" for eternity (that last movement is the death of all clarinetists!!!!)
6.) No chemicals to play with (I'm in chemistry and I love this stuff. No chemicals=eternal suffering!!)
7.) Playing and/or listening to the piece "Hoedown from Rodeo" by Arron Copland

and finally, not being able to hear music in my head. that would be the death of me!! cry

Shadow2662
"...Through composition musicians can teach themselves so much about the depths of music, and feel the mystery of our art as they could in no other way." (Reginald Smith Brindle).

#1656636 - 04/08/11 12:25 AM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: hanna2222]
Jared Hoeft Offline

Loc: Hutchinson, Minnesota, United ...
Popular Rap drives me bonkers before too long. There's a lot of underground hip-hop that's really unique and interesting, but the radio stuff makes me want to be deaf sometimes

#1658800 - 04/12/11 05:50 AM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: hanna2222]
WingNL Offline

Loc: Dordrecht, Netherlands
For me, definitely reggaeton (or w/e you spell it) it's so much worse than Rap.. Rap CAN be okay when it's done as it suppose to. But even worse is ABBA...brrr

#1664349 - 04/21/11 05:56 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: hanna2222]
Tar Offline

Loc: Munich, Germany
Having to sit through a grammatically accurate but soulless performance of any classical music really tears my insides. Last year I heard Bach's B Minor Mass that totally and utterly slain by a choir frown
verbis defectis musica incipit

#1665586 - 04/23/11 10:59 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: hanna2222]
woodfab Offline

Loc: Stoneham, MA
I can't take RAP
A new employee was hired last week and took over the radio.
After three days of rap I put the radio on the ground and ran it over with the fork lift.

Dan

#1672264 - 05/05/11 09:26 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: hanna2222]
John_In_Montreal Offline

Loc: Montreal Canada
A world without any music, (but then again, how could I miss something I never heard about ?)
Rap,
Hip Hop,
Bland, uninspired Pop,
Opera,
Country & Western.

In that order smile

John

#1672299 - 05/05/11 11:34 PM Re: What would be a musical torture chamber for you? [Re: John_In_Montreal]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Entertainer

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (accordeur, 36251, Abby Pianoman, Alexander Borro, 53 invisible), 1408 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157250 Topics
2309626 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
kitchen studio for summer just gone
by toddy
9 minutes 50 seconds ago
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
Today at 06:39 PM
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
Today at 06:16 PM
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
Today at 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
Today at 04:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission