Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1151357 - 12/29/05 09:58 AM Do you have a particular compositional weakness and if so, how do you overcome it?
hanna2222 Offline

Loc: Northeast Ohio
I took lessons in composition from a man in
San Francisco years ago..Paul Chiten. I saw his
credit on a TV movie recently and was excited he
had gone so far.
He said I was absolutely terrible in terms
of my rhythms... I was trying to write popular
music and it all came out like "easy listening"
or "classical. " He said I failed to have a core
rhythm thing going on...lacked "soul" in a sense.
He was absolutely right, of course.
I know its still weakness...but I'm much
more OK about my own style. I don't need to
be popular any more.
Back then, I wanted to be "rich and famous".
Now I just want to make music. Big difference.
2. How he treats those who cannot
fight back.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1151358 - 12/29/05 10:46 AM Re: Do you have a particular compositional weakness and if so, how do you overcome it?
hugo Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
My weakness is writing for drums: rock, pop, and country. I realize almost everybody here is mostly into classical-based piano, but I thought I'd add a bit of flavor to the mix.

I just haven't been able to do drums. And I haven't overcome it.

#1151359 - 12/31/05 10:16 PM Re: Do you have a particular compositional weakness and if so, how do you overcome it?
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

My weakness is in finding a good style to write in. I enjoy writing music in romantic and impressionist styles. But in college I was expected to write much more modern music. Now when I try to write romantic or impressionist music, I feel it needs more modern elements. But I don't want to go full bore into modernism. So I'm trying to find a middle ground...

#1151360 - 01/01/06 04:31 PM Re: Do you have a particular compositional weakness and if so, how do you overcome it?
cccyyy Offline

Loc: Canada
One of my weaknesses is always wanting to write everything in c-sharp minor!!!
man I love that key....
and it's obvious how to fix that problem (and not that difficult!)
\:\)

#1151361 - 01/01/06 05:21 PM Re: Do you have a particular compositional weakness and if so, how do you overcome it?
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I hate with a vengeance the physical act of writing out music. I have been known to go months putting off writing out a piece completed in my head. In fact, in recent years I haven't written out much at all and have just recorded hundreds of improvisations. If they ever set the world on fire (unlikely) then somebody can transcribe them after I peg out.

Musically I am a walking mass of weaknesses. I would probably fail every test of musical ability you could contrive. You name it and I probably cannot do it.

Nonetheless, as Aleister Crowley says, "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." I therefore continue to create like a puffed up cream cake of arrogance as if my weaknesses did not exist.

#1151362 - 01/01/06 07:36 PM Re: Do you have a particular compositional weakness and if so, how do you overcome it?
hanna2222 Offline

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Ted,
I've heard some of your music and I think
you're really underestimating your abilities.
You play marvelously and do some of the finest
chord structures this side of Gershwin!
Your pieces are unique and flowing and
rich. I agree, though, its really boring to
have to write a piece down note by note. Those
wonderful keyboard computer things can do it,
but the instrument isn't nearly as fun to compose on.
In any event, Happy New Year!
2. How he treats those who cannot
fight back.

#1151363 - 01/01/06 08:07 PM Re: Do you have a particular compositional weakness and if so, how do you overcome it?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
I think I just discovered one weakness when trying to write something for the collaberative comp. project on this forum. That is adding harmony for piano in the treble clef or r.h. part. In other words make the r.h. have more than a one line melody. I think this is because I think mostly in terms of vocal or pieces that can be sung or have a singable melody.

I used to and still do as others have said have trouble writing out what I hear in my head on paper but the last piece I just wrote seemed to come suprisingly easy. It's almost like it suddenly clicked or something. The only thing I can attribute this to is that I teach private piano and keep explaining all kinds of theoretical elements to the kids in the music they're playing, looking for chords in the music, and finding them on the keys and looking for chords in things they make up. I think all that time I've spent frequently explaining it to others has kept it fresh in my mind, etc.

What helped me also this last time is I discovered I could whistle the pitches I heard in my head a lot better than I could sing them so I whistled them and then tried to find that on the keys and it worked. -Sounds wierd but whatever works!

Another weakness and probably my main one isn't so much harmonizing but figuring out how to notate the rhythm correctly.

8ude, I know what you mean by college and Modern music. I grew to appreciate and even like some Modern music due to learning about it in college but I do think the focus was a little out of balance on it. Certainly the mainstream public enjoys the familiarity and comfort of simple, singable melodies and sounds in music. I wrote a paper in college once on how I think people gravitate toward "comfort" and simplicity in music in the midst of commonly stressful and complex lives vs. the sounds of Modern music. I don't think the prof. liked or agreed with my philosophy too much although I do also like the uniqueness, unusual, and dissonant sounds, etc. of Modern music some too.

#1151364 - 01/01/06 08:37 PM Re: Do you have a particular compositional weakness and if so, how do you overcome it?
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
I feel exactly the same way as you 8ude... in fact.. I think this exactly represents one of the serious problems that faces classical music. We have really dug ourselves into a corner with our modern expectations and we are losing touch with our means of true expression. I know because I am facing that exact same problem in college right now... but I think I may have a solution!

#1151365 - 01/02/06 01:35 AM Re: Do you have a particular compositional weakness and if so, how do you overcome it?
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
hanna2222:

You are too kind. Happy New Year to you too.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
159 registered (Almaviva, ando, adanepst, 51 invisible), 1511 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249288 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
Today at 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
Today at 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
Today at 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
Today at 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission