2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
What do you use primarly to record your compositions? Do you just record with the notation software or have additional recording software?

I just got a home computer for the first time ever this Spring (Dell) and I always have had in the back of my mind for the last 10+ years that whenever I did finally get a computer, I would get notation software, hook up my old keyboard if still feasible, etc. So now I'm at the juncture of doing all that only I'm overwhelmed trying to research even the basics.

I got some info. here on the Piano World site so far on notation software, hooking my keyboard up to my computer, and a little recording info.
Only I'm still not sure what decent basics I need for recording.

I want to: 1. Make recordings of compositions I create on the notation software. 2. Record off my keyboard (I got directions on hooking it up, but am vague on what I need for recording onto computer, i.e. if I need recording software or not). 3. Be able to record with a microphone of playing on my acoustic piano (what kind of microphone do I need?) Most of my recording would primarly be for personal compositions.

I really need a book for 'Dummies' on all this. I just tinker around writing music for personal enjoyment mostly so just need some basics. Especially recording software. Do I need additional recording software if I had notation software? In other words does the notation soft ware have all the recording capabilities one needs without buying additional software for recording? What do you all recommend? I don't need or anything complex, if there is such a thing.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if you use Finale(full version or "Notepad plus" at least) or Noteworthy, you can "save as" your composition entered to the notation software to a "midi" file. then upload your midi file to 'savefile.com' so that everyone else can download from there.

C
C
Hi Sarabande,

I'm by no means an expert but I have a basic setup that works fairly well and is the simplest way to get going pricewise.

You don't mention using the keyboard as an input device to notation software so I assume that the goal is purely to create recordings mp3.

I also assume that you're after a budget solution.

1. Sound card
on your computer you need a sound card with audio-in connectors to accept the signal from your keyboard. You probably have some kind of a sound card already. If so, check what kind of inputs it has, not all sound cards built into the computer motherboard have audio-in but there usually is a microphone jack.

There are usb audio devices that allow fairly simple setups. I don't have one of these myself. I use an Audiophile sound card, so I can't comment on them other than to say that it's probably the simplest way to go if you don't have a suitable audio card already. This is what I would do if I wasn't already setup as it's simple to connect the setup to different computers and laptops. I don't know how there rate price wise. A simple creative soundcard is the entry point here, if you ask around you could get one real cheap if not for free.

2. Cable
this depends on the connectors on your keyboard and computer. Usually an audio cable, although new keyboards apparently have usb as well. I assume that these simplify things even more.

3. Software
there's a freeware program called audacity that will record your signal and save to mp3 format. You can edit with it too. I also use a program called TotalRecorder while not free I find it better for recording certain things than audacity.

That's the simplest setup to create mp3s. There are a probably million other ways to set up and lots of things to look out for like noise (hum), normalisation, etc.

Google is your friend. try keywords like "home recording". You'll find too much information.

Good luck.

Recording an acoustic piano can be easy or tough, depending on the quality you wish to achieve. Here's a link you might find useful:
http://audiominds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2661
It's a discussion about my own journey into the same area. If you've got questions after you digest all that, feel free to ask smile

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission