Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
126 registered (anotherscott, ando, bennevis, 39 invisible), 1704 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1151549 - 09/29/07 04:39 PM Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
Your choice. The most outstanding single piece of music ever written? Any style. Chuckles... Sandy B

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1151550 - 09/29/07 05:08 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

This would be easier if I could choose a complete work with many pieces, such as Bach's German Organ Mass. Beethoven's Diabelli Variations might fit the bill. Or perhaps one of his late string quartets... Something under the five minute category, something that is strictly one piece of music: Bach's Chorale Prelude "Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ".

#1151551 - 09/29/07 05:34 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

For me, its gotta be Beethoven's Ninth.

Sandra, obviously this is a subjective thread, and everyone's entitled to their opinion, but how can you claim Unchained Melody as the greatest single piece of music ever written? I have always found that song to be extremely boring and trite, following pretty much the same simple chord progression over and over. I also find it ironic, that it is called "Unchained" melody, given that it is firmly shackled in the I-vi-IV-V... progression. To me it doesn't seem particularly original or imaginative... But again, its totally an opinion thing, I just have to respectfully disagree with you on that one...

#1151552 - 09/29/07 06:37 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

8ude... Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini 18th Variation ,written by Rachmaninoff. This the second most requested here where I live and my very favorite selection of all time. Not testing you this time. I am serious too this time. Cheers, Sandy B

#1151553 - 09/29/07 07:00 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Well, the Rach Rhapsody's one I can live with... \:\)

#1151554 - 09/29/07 07:33 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by 193866:
8ude... Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini 18th Variation ,written by Rachmaninoff. This the second most requested here where I live and my very favorite selection of all time. Not testing you this time. I am serious too this time. Cheers, Sandy B [/b]
Ones favorite - or the public's favorite - is hardly a criterion by which to judge a works "greatness."

Unless the terms of "greatness" are established, I find the question absolutely meaningless.

Regards,

#1151555 - 09/29/07 07:42 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hello Bruce D... Good to hear from you. To be more specific I will ask you this:" The greatest composition for whatever your level of music education." For my humble level it is what I stated. Educate me Bruce as I love learning. I am an information hound. Cheers Sandy B

#1151556 - 09/30/07 01:39 AM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I too think the term "greatest" is mostly pointless since it implies comparison with other pieces of music. I usually don't think of one piece being better than another, but I do find myself listening to pieces and thinking that the composer could not have done any better. In other words, in a particular piece, every note is exactly where it should be. None are extraneous and none are missing. Some works that fall into this category for me are:

Symphony #40 in g minor - Mozart
"Wanderers Nachtlied", Op. 96#1 - Schumann
"Blackbird" - Lennon/McCartney
"Ubi Caritas" - Durufle

Runners-up:
Beethoven's Heiliger Dankgesang (3rd movement of the Op. 132 string quartet)
Brahms Op. 116#4 and 118#2
Messiaen Quartet for the End of Time
The postlude Keith Jarrett plays on "Dedicated to You" from the Standards in Norway album (interestingly enough, "Dedicated to You" was co-written by Hy Zaret, the man who wrote the lyrics to "Unchained Melody")
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1151557 - 09/30/07 12:23 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Shall we move on and not nag the word great? OUTSTANDING NOT GREAT... The Beatles are very outstanding indeed. The Boston Pops arrangement of Yesterday I heard years ago was very outstanding. Very great to me in my world. Sandy B

#1151558 - 09/30/07 10:21 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
I saw the movie Vitus today and when I came out of the theater I got in my car and got to hear the last 10 minutes of Mahler's 2nd Symphony. Vitus was an outstanding movie, but Mahler 2 is a great piece of music.

#1151559 - 09/30/07 10:47 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Outstanding music to me is anything played by a great jazz artist. Oscar Peterson for one. Too young to know him? Does anyone here compose jazz? Too boring gentlemen? Has anyone ever studied the From Hanon to Jazz method book with CD by Dr. Bert Konowitz? Looks excellent. I bought this several years ago and will take this on very soon. I had basic jazz studies with two jazz pro's for a year after classical studies. Scales, scales and more scales. Sandy B

#1151560 - 10/01/07 02:22 AM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
Laurel Jean Offline

Loc: Central IL, USA
Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, Pachelbel Canon in D, Hampton's Airmail Special, Bach/Gounod - Ave Maria...It is a fun topic!

#1151561 - 10/01/07 04:17 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Laurel Jean, Welcome to Piano World. Please stay with me and us as we need more women composers as you know. One step at a time to become as strong as the men composers more and more though the years. We are a start. Others visit but do not stay in general. Tell us about yourself. Hope you have many years with us as a member. Please feel free to start a topic of your own. Our Piano World Teachers Forum, they are so caring, supportive of new members, they are very mature and extremely capable and kind members. They will answer any questions you have concerning music or related topics. Always polite and not condescending ever. We are blessed to have all of them. I go there quite often to chat with them. What an inspiration they are to me. Hampton's Airmail Special...What is this please? Most of these you listed Laurel Jean I perform where I live on piano, for the other residents, assisted living, with a CD of a concert level pianist and I play along. The other residents so appreciate the music. They are very excellent choices in our, other residents here, etc, world too. I will introduce myself to you. I am 68 years old, 70 next year in November. Strokes and a brain operation and divorced, no one to help me at home so I live in assisted living with memory problems. Long term memory fine though in general. So I can still perform at the piano, etc. Just new info gives me problems at times. I am a retired decorator and I was an understudy to my classical piano teacher with a Master's Degree in Music Ed. I am also a retired private classical piano teacher for years too, part time. I was also a volunteer to teach children of lower income families free appx 70 students, children, ages 5 to 11 mostly, in the 1990's before the strokes. So rewarding to help low income families children and they are grateful, No one in their communities could afford piano lessons and they became little stars to the other children. They taught their friends in their community, they told me this, to play keyboard too. Rewarding work with these children. A blessing to me... the memories are beautiful. Piano is my world as an elder. Again we care and the teachers are very caring and would enjoy chats with you too. Take Care, Sandy B

#1151562 - 10/01/07 07:29 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA
It's not a real question, of course, but of the pieces I find most evocative I'd have to put several by Duke Ellington near the top -- In a Sentimental Mood, Prelude to a Kiss, etc.

#1151563 - 10/01/07 07:40 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good answer for not a real question? Another fun one. Anything by Oscar Peterson is my answer to not a real question? Chuckles... You made my day. Sandy B

#1151564 - 10/07/07 09:04 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
Xill Offline

Loc: MTL
Any style? That question make no sense but (nothing can be best, only differently well made)

According to the time it was written in I would say thoses:

Late Beethoven (15th string quartet / 9th symphony / 32th piano sonata)

Late J.S. Bach (Musical offering, Art of fugue)

Brahms 4th Symphony

Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique

Mozart late operas

Monteverdi's Madrigaux

Wagner's Tristan and The Ring

Stravinsky's Rite of spring

Debussy's Prélude à L'après midi d'un faune

Scriabin late piano sonatas, Poem of ecstasy

Mahler 9th Symphony

Schoenberg 5 pieces for orchestra, Transfigured night

Berg Violin concerto

Webern Symphony op.21

Penderecki's St-Luc Passion

Messiaen's quartet for the end of times

Ligeti's String Quartet 1-2, Requiem, violin concerto

Xenakis's Kraanerg

Gérard Grisey's Quatre chants pour franchir le seuil, Vortex Temporum

Ferneyhough latest string quartets

Wolfgang Rihm Image-Echo, Jagden und formen, late string quartets

Richard Strauss 4 last songs

Varese's Ionisation/Amerique

Berio's sinfonia

#1151565 - 10/07/07 09:33 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
"I like New York in June How About You?
I like a Gershwin tune, How About You?
I like a fireside when a storm is due,
I like potato chips, moonlight and motor trips,
How About You".

#1151566 - 10/09/07 03:09 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

The Great American Masterpiece is "Rhapsody In Blue" by George Gershwin according to many, myself included. I am working on the original now as my 80's piano teacher too. He will play for me next month. I will then play for him. All 31 pages next month you will perform Sandy you ask? You know the answer to this question. Chuckles, Sandy B

#1151567 - 11/02/07 09:25 AM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
stavroski Offline

Loc: Liverpool, UK
Hmmm, favorite in terms of the way it makes me feel is Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto. Not as dazzling as the 3rd, but for me the melodies are some of the most hauntingly beatiful ever penned. I have so many different recordings of it, and yet I never tire of listening to it.....it's one of those timeless pieces that you can listen to and completely lose yourself in the moment.

There's also a lot of non-classical music that I really enjoy, however will not mention it here for fear of ridicule \:\)
Yamaha EX5
Roland XV3080
Muse Receptor Rev.C
East West Bosendorfer 290 amongst others....

#1151568 - 11/04/07 02:40 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Now that I am working on the original score of Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin this is very high on my list of favorites. I would love to hear your list of songs you enjoy as your favorites. This is educational to those of us who are not ego driven and do not smart off to put others down to elevate ourselves... we are here in the numbers for you. By the way always, "Ignor the idiots and proceed." Most are very young and immature to say the least and clowns at this stage of their life. They will grow up one day. Just silly personalities at this time. Many of us are caring and mature people at Piano World Forums. Mistreating people, verbal abuse, is not a standard here at Piano World Forums. Cheers and PROCEED PLEASE... Sandy B

#1151569 - 12/06/07 07:02 AM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
emopiano Offline

Loc: Botswana
its so hard for me to put one single piece for the greatest cause im like getting new classical music and each one just sounds better than the other...
but the top ones are

rachmaninoffs c sharp minor prelude (also his improv on theme.. paganini)
chopins revolutionary etude
liszt love dream, and Hungarian rhapsody nr 2
\:\)

#1151570 - 12/06/07 07:10 AM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
yoofer Offline

Loc: Vienna, VA
Bach's Mass in B Minor is the pinnacle of Western civilization.

#1151571 - 12/06/07 09:25 AM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
Hi Sandy, if you mean personally I would have to go for a Scriabin prelude - I love miniatures in general but Scriabin's above all. A pieve doesn't have to be long to be great...

#1151572 - 12/06/07 09:47 AM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It would be impossible for me to pick anything from 1600 onwards because there are so many masterpieces from which to choose.

So I'll select Greensleeves. It was the first song in recognizable modern format that achieved tremendous popularity, leading to sets of variations, numerous renditions with different words, and even Shakespeare had Falstaff make a reference to it.

IMO music changed mightily after Greensleeves.

#1151573 - 12/06/07 11:20 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
xtraheat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: WV
Ummm New World Symphony 4th Mov. and Bach/Busoni Chaconne are pretty great
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--

#1151574 - 12/09/07 04:22 AM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Prokofiev's Sonata in Bb.

For starters.

#1151575 - 12/13/07 09:39 AM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
Art of the Fugue Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
See my screen name. A pretty good candidate, I think. (by Bach)

\:D

#1151576 - 12/14/07 12:30 AM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
Alexander Hanysz Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
Just to be different, let me put in a vote for "Autumn in Warsaw" (no. 6 in book 1 of Etudes) by Ligeti.

#1151577 - 12/15/07 11:39 AM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
CPKM Offline

Loc: California, USA
Hi, I'm new here, and am another female composer/pianist.

There are so many different kinds of music that it would be impossible for me to say that any one piece is the greatest. We all have our favorites, but for me, it is easier to note those works, or composers who have been the bridges connecting innovations in music. Composers like Bach who took counterpoint to a whole new level; Beethoven who expanded the musical language and scope of an instrument's ability with his symphonies, etc.; Liszt, Wagner and Stravinsky who moved us into a whole new era in music. The Beatles, as someone already mentioned, who took popular music to another realm. All these composers (and their music) and many more...how can I pick just one?
--Kat

#1151578 - 12/16/07 04:51 PM Re: Your Choice. THE MOST OUTSTANDING PIECE OF MUSIC EVER WRITTEN ? ANY STYLE..
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Eryri/Manchester
Chopin's opus 25.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Transcribing jazz piano solos
by mc9320
12/29/14 09:03 AM
My Roland F-130R giving electric shock! Ouch.
by nigelchen
12/29/14 05:38 AM
Just built my first piano ... from a kit ...
by Paul S.
12/29/14 05:10 AM
Vpc1 connections
by daz100
12/29/14 04:05 AM
Beat Speed Difference Sensitivity Test
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
12/29/14 01:47 AM
Forum Stats
77484 Members
42 Forums
160218 Topics
2352766 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission