Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1151702 - 01/04/09 05:40 AM What do I need to do to prepare?
xxmynameisjohnxx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Diego
Hey, so I really am working towards preparing to apply at schools to be a composition major, but the issue is that the community college I'm at right now doesn't really have a composition program as most of the students are performance majors. I wanted to know what exactly I'd need to do to prepare for the application process. My dream school is UCLA which requires 4 submitted scored with more instruments than just piano. I'm also wanting to apply as a piano performance major, but I know how to prepare for that...but this composing thing I just don't know what exactly they're expecting. They say on the site that they want the score to show knowledge of modern music or something like that, does that mean that they want me to write an atonal piece? Or what?
I'm enrolled in music theory, next semester I'm going into number three. I understand that the more music theory I know, the more I'll be able to compose interesting music, but I just have no idea what they're expecting. Are they expecting a full piano sonata, a symphony, a set of etudes and something else? Or are they just expecting me to be able to show I have a certain amount of aptitude with composition and they'll teach the rest? I just don't know what to expect! Can anyone help? I know contacting professors at the school would be my best option, but I want to have an idea of what to expect even before that and have at least one score I can send the professor at that time.
Also, how long will each piece need to be? Is something like 3 pages okay? Or will they be wanting a FULL score, like hundreds of bars, 20-30 pages? I realized lately I've been concentrating to much on piano performance and not as much on what my real passion is, composing.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone can/will help me as I'm COMPLETELY lost as to what I need to do right now. Right now I've written two piano pieces and am working on a third. The two that are done are quite good, or so people tell me, but I don't have them notated. I've attempted composition just inputting into sibelius, but often times it doesn't come out right or something ends up that it would be awkward to play or something. I really want to compose music for movies/tv shows/video games and I'm willing to work to get there, but as of right now I don't even know WHAT work I need to be working on. Thanks in advance for replies!

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1151703 - 01/04/09 09:23 AM Re: What do I need to do to prepare?
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Chances are they will want an extended work. A three page piece is fine for one of the four, but you'll need something that shows that you can write larger forms (sonata, something narrative, arch, etc...) Think of it this way - film composers have to produce hundreds of pages worth of material in a few months' time. They won't expect you to be able to do that as a beginning undergrad, but they will want to see some evidence that you'll be able to reach that goal in the future.

They'll want multiple instruments so that they know you can handle the transposition and write with a sense of how different sounds go together.

Committees will also want to see whether or not you can notate the sounds you hear. Bad composers will hand you a score that doesn't make sense - it lacks performance indications, or the parts don't match the score, or the notation is confusing, or all of the above. If you can't notate your music well, nobody will want to play it.

As for modern music, it means they'll want something that shows you can write beyond what people do in theory class. In other words, something that doesn't rely on four part harmony and major and minor chords in 4/4 and 3/4 time.

There are a lot of things that could fit the modern aspect:

Mixed meter and complex rhythms

Music whose harmonic language revolves around something other than triadic harmony - quartal/quintal, cells, intervals, etc...

Unusual or uncommon instrument combinations, textures, and timbres, including a wide variety of percussion and/or non-traditional instruments

The use of extended techniques - flutter tonguing, quarter-tones, string effects (harmonics, col legno), feathered beaming, aleatoric techniques, electro-acoustic music, etc...
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1151704 - 01/04/09 10:49 AM Re: What do I need to do to prepare?
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Yo add to Kreisler's excellent answer, they want you to show a sense of drama and long line. Also think about writing in different styles, if you know anything about jazz or rock music an ability to incorporate that into a serious work would be a strong asset at a school like USC (less so for others). Knowledge of jazz harmony could be an especially strong plus.

Most importantly they want to see that you've already developed something of a personality as a composer and some smkills to go with it.

#1151705 - 01/04/09 12:31 PM Re: What do I need to do to prepare?
xxmynameisjohnxx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Diego
Thanks for the replies! Especially Kreisler!
So what I need to work on a lot is multiple instrument writing and learning about the different techniques on instruments and how to properly use them. Like, I know how harmonics work on a guitar[I'm assuming they're similar on all string instruments, yes?], but I'd have no idea how to notate to use them. I've also virtually no idea about the different techniques for wind instruments, so I'll need to research that and play around with writing styled for them.
And at the "audition" for composition, will they want me to do some aural notation for them?
and I know a decent bit about rock, but nothing about jazz. But I'm gonna take Jazz theory in the fall, that'll be fun and help with learning about jazz harmony and stuff.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
09/18/14 05:35 AM
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
09/18/14 01:21 AM
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
09/18/14 12:19 AM
Will this Piano Room have good Acoustics?
by flamenco88
09/17/14 10:59 PM
Proud new owner of a Yamaha P22
by amanda416
09/17/14 09:04 PM
Who's Online
60 registered (Al LaPorte, alexbergauer, 36251, ando, aesop, allakart, 13 invisible), 940 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157598 Topics
2314885 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission