Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1152026 - 01/30/06 05:38 PM transitions
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Does anyone else have trouble making clean transitions between different sections/themes?

I just had this great idea today for a transition to the middle section of my new piece, but it's only one measure, and it seems like there really should be something more to it. But I'm not sure how to do that... are there techniques that you guys have for making a good transition?

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1152027 - 01/30/06 08:18 PM Re: transitions
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
I just had this great idea today for a transition to the middle section of my new piece, but it's only one measure, and it seems like there really should be something more to it. [/b]
It's amazing how changing one single note can make the entire passage sound so much better!

#1152028 - 01/30/06 08:22 PM Re: transitions
Prophetic Offline

I do. I've experienced this issue within one part of the piece though. I had this falling bass in quarters notes that was three notes down to a falling note, the one you'd expect. But I could go down another octave so I enlarged the downward falling arpeggio which made the entire passage sound so much better, as you said.
What does get me hung up is the transitions, but I like to let it sit and think of the shapes I see when I play it... because as Tori Amos opened my eyes to this idea, you're writing for a higher power (in my opinion, not everybody believes this of course) so if you translate it wrong your muse will just be upset with you. I just let it set and I know when I have it. Sometimes these two things I think won't go together are meant for each other. Expirementation goes a long way for me at times.

#1152029 - 01/30/06 09:17 PM Re: transitions
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
always. it's hard to find some good 'bridge' passages between sections. when i play Beethoven's Tempest 3rd movement, i was amazed how great such bridges are in it, especially those modulation passages which even by themselves sound amazing.

#1152030 - 01/30/06 11:09 PM Re: transitions
Sostenuto1016 Offline

Loc: Pineville
I never really have trouble with were I want to go. Beethoven makes it look extremely easy though. In the moonlight sonata around the middlish part (I think) there are those inversions that are so wild and exotic. It sounds like the storm is coming or something. Then it does a long inversion way up and then way down to convert into some triplets. (with me so far?) And it is just like the storm is raging!....

..then..... it becomes so serene and traquill. Oh just B-E-A-U-tifal. \:\)

-The T

#1152031 - 01/31/06 07:57 AM Re: transitions
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
you're writing for a higher power (in my opinion, not everybody believes this of course) so if you translate it wrong your muse will just be upset with you.[/b]
Of course, traditionally, the idea of a muse is one such that they "tell" you what to write by speaking through you. In otherwords, you don't translate anything...they do the talking through you. ;\)

Ah, and nice "Bruce Almighty" Sostenuto. \:D

#1152032 - 01/31/06 05:44 PM Re: transitions
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Transitions are an issue that come at various stages of learning the craft of composition. Beginners may start with a melodic idea and harmonize it. More advanced composers may start with something idiomatic, harmonic, rhythmic or textural for a particular instrument. Other composers feel each piece requires a reason for being that goes beyond melody, harmony, rhythm or texture. At some point we all feel the need to piece together larger pieces that combine and/or contrast these ideas over time. Initially the idea may be to move seamlessly from one to another. Perhaps later a composer might discover the wonder of DRAMATIC EFFECT!!!!!? / ? / ?

By that I mean the value of sudden changes in texture, harmony, rhythm or melody. Simply put, in creating a piece of music it's all up for grabs. You are the God of this little universe and the only one who needs to be pleased with the results of your experiments is the creator him/herself (i.e. you, not any real deity).

So in an effort to offer some wisdom let's look at these possibilities regarding transitions:

The smooth transition; for a transition to be smooth or seamless it can't be obvious where a phrase or section ends. This would imply continuation of key identifying features of a given section (be it rhythm, harmony, melody or texture). Since the intent is to go to something different then gradually working toward that something different is the key to keeping the transition smooth.

Sudden transitions; perhaps the best example of this is after a cadence. Often a composer will work tension to a pretty high level and use the dramatic effect of relative quiet to signal the transition. However, it can be just as effective to lull the listener and use a SFORZANDO to wake them up! Stange modulations can be quite effective in gaining the listeners ear after you've lulled them with 32 bars of tonic and dominant. The key point to keep in mind is you've done something for long enough and a dramatic change will get the listener's attention.

Like anything these techniques can be overdone and the most important lesson for the budding composer is realizing that some of what you write is crap. Of course the people who need to hear this the most will be the one's who pay the least attention to it. So if you've paid attention to this paragraph it probably doesn't really apply to you.

My last point will be the most important, concern about transitions indicates a curiosity about efficacy in overall structure of music. It is also important to hear your music after you've written it. This is the real world test of whether your musical structure works. Many proudly acknowledge the ability to compose away from sonic reference (usually a keyboard), but do they listen to their finished product? Do they play it when they're done to verify that it is worthy of their impramatir. For me this is the funnest (yes I know, grammer moment) moment in musical creation, playing through my newest creation usually makes me feel like a proud papa. But if it doesn't, that's OK too, note what's not right and fix it or start over. I did a lot of that just writing this post (can you tell?).

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kissin plays...
by JoelW
34 minutes 24 seconds ago
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
Today at 05:51 PM
Dream Keys Complete - Your Opinion Please
by Vas
Today at 04:56 PM
First tuning my piano with TuneLab
by Pablo Arturi
Today at 04:03 PM
Getting back into it
by Upside
Today at 03:32 PM
Who's Online
127 registered (ando, anotherscott, Augustina, 255, AEMontoya, 34 invisible), 1169 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157569 Topics
2314457 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission