Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
139 registered (Alexander Borro, 36251, ando, 45 invisible), 1731 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1152169 - 01/28/08 08:34 PM Re: "Composing" vs "Songwriting"
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by piano_deb:
So, odd as it may sound to a musician, referring to the composer of a poem, etc. is correct.
[/b]
Correct perhaps, but confusing. Well actually, not so much confusing as not specific enough for me. I do find that language is getting more and more general, and in so doing is not as bright and vivid as it could be. Anyway, son is pleased to be finished with English and is heading off to uni to study his first love, science \:\) .

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1152170 - 01/28/08 08:46 PM Re: "Composing" vs "Songwriting"
Late Beginner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: West Australia
Hi,

I think that this is more a matter of accepted common usage and personal preference than ‘correctness’ as such.

The words composer and composition have a wide range of uses, but they don’t always go hand in hand.

For instance, we might talk about the ‘composition’ of a painting, but we wouldn’t then talk about the role of the composer – we’d say ‘artist’ or ‘painter’. Similarly we might argue about the composition of a football team but we’d hardly call for the ‘composer’ to be sacked – we’d just say that whoever picked the team got it wrong.

If I got angry and lost my ‘composure’ most people would accept it if I said that I needed to go outside for a moment or two and compose myself. But some might giggle at that and find it a slightly quaint way to put it. There’s no hard and fast rules based on the original derivation of a word.

It’s perfect usual to refer to essays, poems and the like as ‘compositions’ but most people would expect their creators to be referred to as ‘authors’, ‘writers’, ‘poets’ or a number of other possibilities before ‘composers’. It might be technically not a mis-use, but it would still sound odd to many people. Depending on the area in question, you may find 'composition' widely used yet the verb form 'to compose' more rarely, and 'composer' not at all.

However, common usage changes constantly, so if a word gets used often enough in a certain way, then – like it or not – that’s what it comes to mean. Some words that we use today started out historically meaning the exact opposite of what we use them to mean now.

Cheers,

Chris

#1152171 - 01/28/08 09:03 PM Re: "Composing" vs "Songwriting"
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by Late Beginner:
There’s no hard and fast rules based on the original derivation of a word.
[/b]
Good points, Chris, and interesting. I would actually refer to the "composition" of a photograph, but I would be meaning "the putting of this object here on the left and balancing it with this other thing over there", not the act of clicking the shutter. And i would definitely call its creator a photographer and not a composer, just for clarity's sake. Maybe "creator" is the general all-purpose word I'd prefer to the English course's "composer".

#1152172 - 01/28/08 09:12 PM Re: "Composing" vs "Songwriting"
Late Beginner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi again,

Here's another example. I might talk about the 'composition' of a chemical compound. I might even say "it is 'composed of'... " but I'd probably be unlikely to say "Im off to compose a new compound..." or refer to somebody who did as a 'composer'.

No real reason, except that we don't usually use the words that way. ;\)

Actually, there is a reason. \:\) English is an unusually mongrel language that has absorbed words from all over the place - Latin, Greek, French, German, Scandinavian languages, even from India, China, America, etc, etc. So we have an unusually large number of synonyms and alternatives to choose from. And we have a habit of switching from one form or usage to another in a way that must be completely baffling to non English speakers.... \:D

Chris

Recommended reading: Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson. A very readable book on the development and use of the English language.

#1152173 - 01/28/08 11:59 PM Re: "Composing" vs "Songwriting"
Late Beginner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by currawong:
Maybe "creator" is the general all-purpose word I'd prefer to the English course's "composer". [/b]
I'm with you on that one too. \:\)

I've done a fair bit of writing over the years, including co-authoring manuals, occasional poetry, song lyrics, work for the theatre, odds and ends for newspapers, etc. But I never thought of myself as the 'composer' of any of it - just the writer. However, the beauty of having so many options in English is that you can also employ less used words to add a bit of extra meaning, such as in: "I'll have to compose a suitably apologetic letter to the Board.." or "I've been asked to compose an ode to Councillor Blowhard on the occasion of his retirement"... In that case, you'd normally use 'write', but 'compose' adds a touch of slightly tongue in cheek seriousness to the process. Maybe they just thought that calling them 'composers' made the course sound a bit grander than it really was?

Gotta love English though....

Cheers,

Chris

#1152174 - 03/25/08 06:14 AM Re: "Composing" vs "Songwriting"
blacvi Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Late Beginner:
 Quote:
Originally posted by currawong:
for me:
writing music = composing
one who writes music (of any sort) = composer
music which is composed = composition
composition which is sung (solo or small group) = song
one who writes songs (of any sort) = songwriter. Or composer, depending on the context. I'm happy to call Schubert a songwriter! [/b]
For me too!

And, incidentally, for any dictionary that you'd care to consult as well. ;\)

Where the personal opinions, bunfights and general snootiness comes in is when you capitalise it and start talking about Composers[/b] with a capital C.

Rough Rules of Thumb for Recognising Composers:

1. Dead (the deader the better). During his lifetime Puccini was probably regarded as a popular tunesmith - much like Andrew Lloyd Webber - but he is unquestionably dead enough now to be revered as a Composer. As a long time fan of Opera By Dead People, I can assure everybody that much of it was as corny and awful in its day as anything modern (and if you remove the veneer of deadness respectability, much of it still is. ).

2. Serious. No jingle writers, penners of pub tunes, or dirty limerick merchants please.

3. Extra points for bizarre hair and/or episodes of madness or angst.

I am a composer (small c). I have created and written music. I can even (grammatically correctly) claim to have composed the odd thoughtful letter (usually asking for something). However I'm definitely not a Composer (but check the obituary columns, I'm not getting any younger... :p )

Cheers,

Chris [/b]
Ahah, that made my very short day.

#1152175 - 03/26/08 05:37 AM Re: "Composing" vs "Songwriting"
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
I consider myself a composer/songwriter.

A "song" is only one kind of composition. If you only write songs, then you're a songwriter or a “composer of songs”.

If however, you write instrumental music, you're a composer.

If you wear both hats, you're a composer/ songwriter.

At least that's how I see it.

Best, John

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations - Piano World Headquarters 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
29 minutes 27 seconds ago
5 adjacent dead keys
by levendig
48 minutes 46 seconds ago
Like Someone In Love - a rhythmic approach
by marcuslchoi
Today at 12:43 PM
mp11
by mike2014
Today at 11:42 AM
Merry Christmas from TromboneAl
by TromboneAl
Today at 10:26 AM
Forum Stats
77372 Members
42 Forums
160015 Topics
2349856 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission