Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
114 registered (AZ_Astro, Anne'sson, 661-Pete, anotherscott, Barry1963, 36 invisible), 1340 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1152474 - 12/30/08 09:29 PM Should i continue...
ZPomeroy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: australia
i have been working on a composition for a couple of hours, and am unsure if i should continue. unfortunatly due to my copy of sibelius not fully working i can only provide the score.

Photobucket

thanks for any advice in advance

Zac

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1152475 - 12/31/08 09:32 AM Re: Should i continue...
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
Have you actually played this on the piano? The stretch in the left hand for the last chord in the left hand is beyond the capability of most pianists -- that takes a really large hand. The same is true for the first left hand chord in measure 5. The grace note run in measure 3 is awkward.

This sounds like something that was composed directly into Sibelius rather than on a piano and, as a result, doesn't actually work well on the piano.

As for whether or not you should continue -- that's entirely up to you. I have no idea what the inspiration behind the composition is so I can't speak to why you would continue or quit. If, however, you hope to have people play it on the piano, I think you need to reconsider what you have already written.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1152476 - 12/31/08 09:52 AM Re: Should i continue...
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

There's no way I can tell you whether to continue or not based on only 5 and a half measures. Tell us more about what kind of piece you want this to end up as, what other ideas you have for it, how you envision the rest of the piece, etc...

Just looking at what you have, yeah, there might be some promising ideas and things that can be done with what you've started, but it's way too skeletal and preliminary to know if you should continue on with it or not...

#1152477 - 12/31/08 04:46 PM Re: Should i continue...
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
It sounds as though you are stuck. Instead of trying to write from start to finish, perhaps write the middle part now, where you want it to end up, and then fill in the space between the beginning and the middle.

Not all ideas are great, either. Do you think this is a great idea? Or are you keeping it because you spent some time on it? Don't be afraid to throw things away that aren't excellent, or aren't working for you at this time.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1152478 - 12/31/08 07:30 PM Re: Should i continue...
ZPomeroy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: australia
i nactually composed it on piano and then transfered it into sibelius. i think i'll let this one go, thanks for your help.

Zac

#1152479 - 01/02/09 07:09 PM Re: Should i continue...
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
When I get stuck, I just add it to my "stuck - revisit" later file. It's around 75-80 pages and growing fast...
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1152480 - 01/05/09 02:34 PM Re: Should i continue...
Tar Offline

Loc: Munich, Germany
 Quote:
Originally posted by epf:
Have you actually played this on the piano? The stretch in the left hand for the last chord in the left hand is beyond the capability of most pianists -- that takes a really large hand. The same is true for the first left hand chord in measure 5. The grace note run in measure 3 is awkward.
[/b]
Actually, there's nothing unplayable about this score. The huge stretches are in fact overlapping the other, more comfortable hand, and excess notes can be transferred across the staff. As for the grace notes, I don't actually know what your intention is (grace notes and rubato'ed ornaments look similar).

But as Ed has hinted, I would suggest that you try this composition on the piano. In fact, I'd go further: don't use Sibelius at all for the moment. Just manuscript paper and pencil. Then, instead of experimentally clicking on staves on the screen, experiment on the real keyboard. Then if something pleases you, it will be because it sounds great and is playable! See if you can rekindle your inspiration by doing this.

Aside: my high school Maths teacher told our class that the first thing to achieving an A was to "throw away your calculator". I agreed with him totally, and similarly, I would urge anyone to make progress in piano composition to "throw away notation softwares". For piano composers, I personally think they're only used for notation (and JUST notation), not for composition. Sibelius can't be a better pianist than you are.

And I agree with Kreisler too: file "stuck" stuff together. More than once I have managed to put "stuck A" and "stuck B" together and create a great piece!

Keep going \:\)
verbis defectis musica incipit

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160049 Topics
2350407 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission