Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1152666 - 02/25/06 10:59 PM STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
DCshoesGIRL Offline

I finally bought a good mic and stand.....so now ive hooked the mic to my computer and set of the mic over the open piano, and turned on my computer, and for some reason the sound isnt working.....ive tried EVERYTHING!!!!!! Ive recored before using a mic and it worked....but now it isnt working....I checked and made sure the mic wasnt on mute and everthing!!!!!!IM very frustrated, ive been working on it for about an hour now any help, i just dont know what to do.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1152667 - 02/25/06 11:11 PM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Is it a condenser mic? if it is, did you put battery in it or a power supply connected to it? and is it on? you plug into the mic port of the computer?

Plug your old mic back and see that everything is working, then unplug the old one and plug in the new one. If it quits working then you know something isn't right with the new mic, and not anything at the computer.

#1152668 - 02/25/06 11:13 PM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Make sure that the microphone port hasn't been muted. I did that recently and spent quite a long time checking out everything else.

John

#1152669 - 02/25/06 11:17 PM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
DCshoesGIRL Offline

Yep, Ive done all that, im currently using the old mic now cause i wanted to see if it was the new mic, but still nothing....I know it has to just be something with the settings but I cant figure it out.

#1152670 - 03/02/06 01:50 AM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
Rob Mullins Offline

Loc: LA CA
Hi,
I guess by now I have used about 70 computer systems to record music over a 25 year period and whenever I get new equipment, the day I get it home is always the same-I am livid within about an hour's time that the manual isn't any good and the equipment doesn't work better and faster and isn't easier to set up. My experience says that the best thing to do is find someone from the music store that sold you what you bought and have them come over and set it up. Even when I have had to pay music store doods to come over, it has always been the fastest way to get everything going, plus if it still doesn't work when the music store guy tries to make it work, you can hand it back to him and send him out of the house with the faulty products. Works for me!

#1152671 - 03/02/06 01:13 PM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
DC:

You still using Cakewalk? If so, could be it's not looking to the mic port for input. Or you're trying to record audio to a midi track. Make sure you fire up an audio track, that its set to the mic port for input, and arm it for recording. You should see meter activity when you tap the mic.

Howard

#1152672 - 03/02/06 10:04 PM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
DCshoesGIRL Offline

Well....I finally have figured out the problem, While trying to record, I stretched the microphone chord to the piano which was barely long enough.....so a couple days ago while still trying to get the program to record I just unplugged the mic from the computer...then saw that the end of the mic plug, the peice that is plugged in the computer was bent......so I bought a new adapter(which was the damaged peice) then I realized the mic wasnt working because the end of the chold into the computer needs to be pushed to the right(I guess I have permanently damaged the jack in the computer)So...I really dont know what to do now....except maybe tape the plug pushed to the right in the jack.....its the only way it works......I see no other way of fixing the damage except buy a new tower(which is out of the question)

#1152673 - 03/03/06 12:38 AM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
You don't need a new tower...just get a new jack. (Or tape it to the right ;\) )

#1152674 - 03/04/06 12:42 PM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
DCshoesGIRL Offline

lol....the tape thing worked, yesterday I finaaly recorded for the first time, and put it on cd for the first time...YAY!!!!!!....

but I was wondering how to put recordings in the member recordings forum.....what exactly do I do? Its probably simple but I really dont know how and I couldnt find anywhere to tell me how.

#1152675 - 03/04/06 02:17 PM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

you could always install a new sound card...pretty easy to do. open the side of the computer and you will see slots slide it in and run your drivers cd and you will have a new sound card installed. put the side back on and your done. soundcards are fairly cheap and the one you install will be nicer than the ones that come from the factory. just an idea:) good luck with it. if you need help send me an email i will get back with you:)

#1152676 - 03/06/06 11:51 PM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
Yeah, sounds like you really need a new soundcard! I recommend one of the nicer ones with breakout boxes so you don't ever have to fiddle around back there ever again! ;\)

#1152677 - 03/06/06 11:57 PM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

but I was wondering how to put recordings in the member recordings forum.....what exactly do I do? Its probably simple but I really dont know how and I couldnt find anywhere to tell me how.[/b]
I telled ya, didn't I? Go to www.savefile.com, register an account. Then upload your music to that website. When it uploads, you'll get a link. Post the link here. ;\)

#1152678 - 03/07/06 08:46 PM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
DCshoesGIRL Offline

Well, Derulux, I typed that question in this forum first, and nobody was answering it, so I thought I'd get a quicker response by turning that question into its own post.....so I did, and I did see your reply in the other post...THANX.......I just didnt get a chance to reply. But I have recorded Un Suspiro which I will be posting soon in the members recording......as soon as I get it right...lol

#1152679 - 03/07/06 10:48 PM Re: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Can't wait to hear it! \:\)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
65 registered (AZNpiano, Atrys, bennevis, beet31425, 17 invisible), 1209 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156349 Topics
2296345 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new work for Japanese Harp "KOTO"
by Iori Fujita
Today at 03:41 AM
Pianos in timber homes vs brick homes
by Jibbers
Today at 02:37 AM
Debussy's opinion of other composers
by phantomFive
Today at 12:37 AM
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission