Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
154 registered (ajames, 36251, accordeur, Alegretto, 44 invisible), 1758 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1152881 - 01/02/06 06:14 AM Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
hanna2222 Offline

Loc: Northeast Ohio
How hard is it for you to let others experience
your new material?
It matters who they are, how safe you feel
with them, how judgemental and open they are
I imagine....
Or does it?
2. How he treats those who cannot
fight back.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1152882 - 01/02/06 03:50 PM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Absolutely. This is something we all need to overcome. Just be brave and play it as best you can. I think now, a few years later from the first time I had to, I am not as afraid anymore, and while I still feel vulnerable, I know that there is nothing to worry about, either way I will learn something from the experience.

#1152883 - 01/02/06 03:54 PM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
Although I haven't had this experience much except for a few college assignments, I was excited about how it, excited about sharing it with others, and wasn't worried about what others might think. I appreciate others comments good or bad. I really like what I write and don't worry about if anyone else doesn't like it. If I don't quite like how something I write sounds, I just ask around and try to get help. If someone has an idea for improving it, I consider it and make the appropriate changes if it sounds like a good idea. If it doesn't sound like a good idea to me, I keep it the way I like it.

I think lack of confidence seems to be a musicians worst enemy. I have read so many comments of others whether composing, playing an instrument, or teaching music that imply a lack of confidence on the person's part. We all need to quit putting ourselves down and tell ourselves we ARE capable. All of us are a lot more capable than what we give ourselves credit for and never get as far because we have ourselves convinced, "we're not that great". It "waters down" a person's composition, performance, teaching to make an excuse for it when presenting it. I wish people wouldn't do this.

My piano playing, composing may not seem all that great to others and I know myself it may not be that great. Well, my piano playing I don't think is that great but my true love is composing and I am usually proud of my compositions even if they don't seem that great in others minds because I impress myself when I go beyond what I think I'm capable of and when the finished product is played, I think, "wow, I did that!" even if no one else likes it.

We all need to tell ourselves we are capable and quit listening to those who tell us we aren't including those messages we tell ourselves.

There's also a difference between constructive criticism of someone who thinks you can improve - they see you're potential and potential for the piece and so this is positive criticism. Then there is "put-down" criticism of those who say, "your'e no good". We need to listen to the former and ignore the latter.

#1152884 - 01/02/06 03:57 PM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ps: Perhaps it can depend how much one has at stake - if one's career and livelihood are riding on it, it might be more nerve-wracking. For me as a hobbyist, I have nothing to lose.

#1152885 - 01/02/06 04:21 PM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
It doesn't bother me one way or the other. It's nice if somebody enjoys my music but the underlying process is going to persist regardless of praise or blame.

#1152886 - 01/03/06 05:47 AM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
It depends on whether or not I care what the other person thinks. If I do care, then I am very conscious of their approval. If I don't care, then it doesn't matter to me at all. ;\)

When I know I have a good product, I lose all inhibition...doesn't matter who I'm showing it to because at that point, I'm confident in my work. ;\)

#1152887 - 01/03/06 05:55 PM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
 Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:
When I know I have a good product, I lose all inhibition...doesn't matter who I'm showing it to because at that point, I'm confident in my work. ;\) [/b]
I agree with this attitude, but the nature of composing is such that we're always exploring, always learning new things or trying new things. In a sense I hope I never stop trying new things when it comes to my composing. That's the time I'd probably start getting bored with it.

Now I will admit I've been composing for some time now (> 30 years) and maybe the new things I'm trying are different from the issues those with lower mileage are wrestling with. It doesn't matter whatever is new will be a source of insecurity. In addition I have yet to write a piece that matches exactly with my initial conception of a work. They always change as I do the job of putting notes on paper. The important thing is to be commited to doing the best you know and writing as expressively as you can. I only get worried when I start getting bored. If I'm excited about a piece I know someone else will be too.

One last thing. I used to be one of those composers who didn't play his own music. Never again, I play it all, perhaps not well, but I can play it. How can I expect others to learn my music if I won't invest the time. I'm not a great player, but I will say that learning my own music has stretched my technique. I'm a better player for it. YMMV.

#1152888 - 01/05/06 12:51 AM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New England
Steve: I really enjoy reading your posts. I feel similarly, maybe, about composing. If I had my druthers I'd just compose, have someone ELSE play the stuff. (Fat chance of that happening - HA.) I enjoy the creative process very much, but have to admit, playing a piece really well, is a bit of MAGIC. \:\)

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000

#1152889 - 01/06/06 06:02 AM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Steve: I really enjoy reading your posts.
What about me? \:\(

:p ;\)

#1152890 - 01/06/06 11:05 PM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
Sostenuto1016 Offline

Loc: Pineville
If the song is not about my feelings it's easy to play in front of a crowd, but if I play a song about my feelings (especially love) I get very nervous. Especially if the person it's for is listening.

#1152891 - 01/06/06 11:29 PM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Have you seen the movie "Deathtrap?"

#1152892 - 01/24/06 02:24 PM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
I love sharing my music. Music is meant to be heard. Without the audience it goes to waste.

Thanks for bringing that up. Here's a swing tune I composed the music for. I really enjoy playing piano in this style.

"Never Be Me"
Lyrics: Cal Francis DiFalco
Music: Me
Vocal: Myles Loud
http://www.artistcollaboration.com/~johnny-boy/neverbme-Cal\'s%20Mix.wma

Best, John

#1152893 - 01/24/06 04:14 PM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
 Quote:
 Quote:

:p ;\) [/b]
Hey Derulux,

Let me enjoy my kudos. I don't get them all that often. We all know you're the resident stud.

#1152894 - 01/24/06 06:31 PM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny-Boy:
I love sharing my music. Music is meant to be heard. Without the audience it goes to waste.

Best, John [/b]
Those are excellent points! I did listen to your piece. Sounds like something that would make a great song in a movie or theatre production. Hope that isn't taken as an offensive compliment. It reminds me of that alley cat on Aristocats. I could picture a cartoon character singing it. (You can tell I have little kids and so you know what I end up watching!)

#1152895 - 01/24/06 08:30 PM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
 Quote:
Originally posted by sarabande:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny-Boy:

Best, John [/b]
Those are excellent points! I did listen to your piece. Sounds like something that would make a great song in a movie or theatre production. Hope that isn't taken as an offensive compliment. It reminds me of that alley cat on Aristocats. I could picture a cartoon character singing it. (You can tell I have little kids and so you know what I end up watching!) [/b]
Thanks Sara!

Not offended at all, I write a large variety of music. I've been going through a swing and blues thing lately.

I'm delighted when people enjoy it.

Best, John

#1152896 - 01/24/06 08:44 PM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Chandler:
 Quote:
 Quote:

:p ;\) [/b]
Hey Derulux,

Let me enjoy my kudos. I don't get them all that often. We all know you're the resident stud. [/b]
How did I miss this before? *laughs* Me? Well, certainly not by playing...maybe if I took my shirt off.... :p

#1152897 - 01/26/06 12:58 AM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
hanna2222 wrote,
"It matters who they are, how safe you feel
with them, how judgemental and open they are
I imagine....
Or does it?"

It's something like playing a contact sport, such as football. By the time the fourth quarter rolls around, your so used to it that the game is all that matters.

Once you're in that frame of mind---experience helps---you realize that you will never receive a critique from which you do not benefit in some way.

#1152898 - 01/26/06 01:36 AM Re: Do you feel unusually vulnerable when sharing your original music for the first time?
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

It's something like playing a contact sport, such as football. By the time the fourth quarter rolls around, your so used to it that the game is all that matters.[/b]
As a contact-sportist, I've never been in a situation where one's nerves are caused by "spectators". Usually, it's the individuals/team you're competing against who cause nerves to fluorish. I've never played a sport (including football) where I cared what people thought of my performance. Either you perform or you do not...you either catch the ball, or you do not.

And many athletes are the other way around... you feel pressure at the beginning, but once the first drive is over, you're fine... until the fourth quarter, when the "end-of-game" pressure comes back to bite your arse. If you're behind, there's a pressure to win. If you're ahead, the pressure's to stay there. The LAST two minutes of a game are often the most nerve-wracking...especially in close games. But either way, the game is the only thing that matters, and it's the game that makes you nervous...not the spectators.

I think musicians would benefit very much from playing sports. Not only will they become better athletes all-around (which will help with strength, endurance, timing, accuracy, speed, flexibility, etc. etc. etc.), but it would definitely help them get over performance-anxiety due to "spectators". ;\)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Restoration referrals needed
by Dewdman42
15 minutes 19 seconds ago
Single note with a "harsh sound"
by i1lsia
30 minutes 17 seconds ago
Schaff Bros baby grand piano $300
by Paul678
Today at 11:24 AM
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
Today at 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
Today at 09:11 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159986 Topics
2349429 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission