Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1152992 - 11/11/08 07:37 AM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
Are we teaching in depth, or are we short-cutting?
This highlights an important point. I would think that most of the teachers on this board are teaching in depth. It would seem impossible to really set out how you teach in a forum. I teach in teaching units, for example, which means a sequence of lessons, activities, and assignments which are based on well thought out aims, objectives, method and processes, which is what teaching is about. Seasoned with this is the interaction with the actual student within whatever situation and context you find yourself.

If any teacher describes something, I believe I am seeing a sliver of something larger which has many dimensions in time. I would hate anyone to think that the fragment of a larger exercise that I posted the other day was a "how to" on teaching scales, especially since it is not meant to teach scales - though ripped out of the context of that particular discussion it seems to have been considered such. I am not qualified to post any "how to", and even if I were, I'm not sure that I would because the entire teaching unit could not be sufficiently presented: time line, intermeshing of different elements, tools and support material etc.

The question I quoted is an important one. I wouldn't begin to know what a "shortcut" looks like, but it certainly doesn't sound like a good idea. The warning is an important one.

Back on topic, now.... ?

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1152993 - 11/11/08 08:26 AM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
Hey, this feels a bit naughty entering the 'composer's lounge'. I've never been in here before.

On topic - We (UK) say tones and semitones. We do know what whole and half steps are though. Time names are controversial. Most of my colleagues use semibreve, minim etc. but I use whole note, half note. The fraction names are more useful IMO because you can relate the length of one note to another. It also helps with understanding time signatures. People over here can get quite irate about it.

Off topic again \:D - If I were to walk a mile I would not need to explain that I am walking a *mile. If you play the tetrachord on C you already have your starting note. I can't see the need for the *. Sorry Betty. If it works for you then great.

#1152994 - 11/13/08 09:37 AM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?

Thank you Chris. When it was first pointed out to me that the terminology that I learned might not be familiar everywhere, it seemed important to see what is actually what across the English speaking world. Communication about ideas could go serious amiss, otherwise.

"tone" is used in the UK and Australia to mean an interval of two semitones, or two half steps, or one whole step. But in another part of the world it means a pitch. I didn't know that one week ago. How about everyone else? We could talk right past each other. This is just one example.

There was a link a page back where cadences were given different names. What else?

The theory book that I use is the one on which RCM exams are based. They told me that 100,000 students per annum write the exams in Canada. So there are an awful lot of people learning this terminology. But there has to be an awful lot of students doing the same thing in the US, Australia, the UK, New Zealand, according to whatever system is prevalent there. Suddenly we're internation meeting in one place and talking to each other. "hemidemisemiquaver" tends to stand out ;\) , but two meanings for "tone" don't.

#1152995 - 11/13/08 11:57 AM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
ScottM Offline
500 Post Club Member

"Step" is probably more common, but it doesn't really matter much.

#1152996 - 11/13/08 12:44 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottM:
"Step" is probably more common, but it doesn't really matter much. [/b]
You're right, it doesn't matter. "Tone" matters if it is misunderstood to mean pitch and an interval is meant. If something is ambivalent depending on background, maybe that's what matters the most.

#1152997 - 11/13/08 03:07 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Chris H.:
Hey, this feels a bit naughty entering the 'composer's lounge'. I've never been in here before.
[/b]
You .... you mean ..... there are composers in here? It just looked like the ...... teachers forum to me. ;\)
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1152998 - 11/13/08 03:43 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
 Quote:
[/b]
You .... you mean ..... there are composers in here? It just looked like the ...... teachers forum to me. ;\) [/b]
:D Some of us are teachers and composers.
But what are you doing out of the Parents' Forum!!? Get back there immediately ;\)

#1152999 - 11/13/08 04:03 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?

I've come to the conclusion that we are actually in a giant ship underwater that sometimes springs a leak, so that things from one forum leak into the other. The ship shape shifts from time to time so that everything looks odd and unfamiliar. Tone and tenor can be more than one thing, and often not what we think.

#1153000 - 11/13/08 09:31 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by currawong:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
 Quote:
[/b]
You .... you mean ..... there are composers in here? It just looked like the ...... teachers forum to me. ;\) [/b]
:D Some of us are teachers and composers.
But what are you doing out of the Parents' Forum!!? Get back there immediately ;\) [/b]
Now THAT is funny! \:D \:D
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1153001 - 11/14/08 06:59 AM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
I'm thinking maybe we should make up a song before we get kicked out?

#1153002 - 11/14/08 09:25 AM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe we should make up a song before we get kicked out? [/b]
To the tune of Mr. ED, perhaps?

A tone is a tone, a tone, a tone,
A semitone twice is a tone, alone,
Unless, in the US, or in the rest
of the world a note's a tone!

Noting that I got the lyrics wrong, here's the original:
Mr. Ed song

#1153003 - 11/21/08 08:41 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?

Back to terms. I just noticed "parallel scales (keys) / relative keys" where I've learend "tonic major /relative major". Is this another difference between Canada and the US or something else? Is "tonic major / minor" used when discussing, for example, B major and B minor?

#1153004 - 11/22/08 07:16 AM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
In the key of B; B minor is the parallel minor.
G# minor(same key signature)is the relative minor.

If major and minor have the same tonic they are said to be parallel. If they have the same key signature they are called relative major and minor keys.

#1153005 - 11/22/08 07:29 AM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?

Thank you, jw. Your answer confirms that we are talking about the same thing. What I am trying to find out in the context of this thread, is where the terms I learned fit in.

What you call "parallel minor" I was taught to call "tonic minor". "Relative minor" stays the same. So in Canada, or at least the material I studied via RCM, we say "tonic minor" and "relative minor ". Is this used throughout Canada, is parallel also used? How is this in other English speaking countries: US, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand?

"A major scale and a minor scale that share the same tonic .. are called 'tonic major' and 'tonic minor'. Thus, C major is the tonic major of C minor, and vice versa."

The term "relative major / minor" is the same.

#1153006 - 11/22/08 10:34 AM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
Keystring; I've never heard the term "tonic minor" before. I'm from the U.S and I read many forums that have international members.

Look up the term 'parallel keys' in the Virginia Tech Dictionary of Musical Terms:

http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/

This is the most complete resource of musical terms that I have found. It's on line and free.

#1153007 - 11/22/08 11:08 AM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?

I'm trying to sort out the terms used in different countries for a number of reasons. One is communication: there has already been one misunderstanding because "tone" designates an interval in some countries, but a pitch in another country. In one link somebody gave, some cadences had different names. I'm thinking now that this thread is turning into a bit of an international glossary of English terms.

I've just done some googling, and have found a lot of hits on "major tone" so at least we know it's also used. Dolmetschonline unravels part of the mystery here:
Dolmetsch - see point 5
 Quote:
Because the key signatures for A flat major and f minor are identical, f minor is said to be the relative minor to A flat major and A flat major is said to be the relative major to f minor. However, this 'relationship' is specious. The real 'relatives' are the pairs of keys with the same key note - for example, A flat major and a flat minor. These are called parallel keys. The pair can also be termed tonic major and tonic minor to indicate the common tonic or key note. [/b]
So now - WHO uses which WHEN, and WHERE geographically? In fact, I'm curious whether "parallel" is used in Canada, and how often in comparison to "tonic".

#1153008 - 11/22/08 01:43 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
When asked such questions, I immediately Google and see what comes up.

Both parallel minor scale and tonic minor scale get me to the same place, so I would just be aware of both, to be flexible.

#1153009 - 11/22/08 01:47 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?

Anyone from Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand (did I leave anyone out?) - we already have the US - what say ye hie and yonder?

#1153010 - 11/22/08 02:10 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

In the US, you would normally hear only
the term "relative minor," which is
used to describe the (natural)
minor key that uses the same
notes as a particular major key. For
example, A (natural) min. is the relative
min. of C maj. I suppose one might also
then say that C maj. is the relative maj.
of A min., but that's cumbersome usage
that you would not normally hear in the
US. I've never heard it.

In the US, you sometimes hear C maj. and
C min. referred to as "parallel keys,"
since they share the same tonic. But this
is mainly just to drive home the point in
theory classes that the relative min.
of C maj. is A min., not C min., which
can be confusing to novice theory students.
This term could easily be eliminated from
the music vocabulary with no harm done.

In the US, the term "parallel scales"
would not normally be used as a
synonym for "parallel keys," as in the
US, the words "key" and "scale" generally
have very different connotations.

In the US, the term "relative keys" would
not be heard, as this would sound
ambiguous to American ears. There are
many keys that have relations to each
other: C maj. and C min., C maj. and
A min., C maj. and G maj., etc.--which
one do you mean? The terms
"tonic maj./min." would not be used in
the US, as this sounds redundant to
American ears: a key is determined
by the tonic note, and a tonic determines
a key.

In casual speech in the US, the words
"tone" and "cadence" do not immediately
bring to mind the music theory field. "Tone"
is typically heard in sentences like
"I don't like the tone of your voice."
or "He's building a tone generator for
his physics project." "Cadence" in
the US is normally associated with keeping
a rhythmic motion, like in marching.

#1153011 - 11/22/08 02:31 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?

Tone and cadence also has those meanings in Canada for the non-musician. This is a piano forum comprising musicians, students, and music teachers discussing music and we're discussing terms as they are used in music. And since we're international, it's not a bad idea to be aware of how those terms have developed in the various English speaking countries. Most of the time we would tend toward American terms simply in order to have a common vocabulary. Once in a while some of us are caught out unexpectedly.

#1153012 - 11/22/08 06:09 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

In Australia we tend to use the same terms as in UK - so we use the relative minor/tonic minor terminology. I hadn't heard of the "parallel" minor until very recently (here on PW). What could be also confusing is the use of terms to describe scale playing - we (and the Brits) use similar and contrary motion to describe the two ways of playing scales on the piano - it seems self-explanatory, but I believe in US they use other terms. Parallel motion for similar?

#1153013 - 11/22/08 06:29 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?

This is getting more and more interesting. It seems that Canadian terms are more in line with British. What bothered me about parallel major is that it's not really parallel. A lot of the notes are different though they begin and end on the same note.

#1153014 - 11/22/08 06:38 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
"Parallel minor" doesn't need to be any more different that relative minor is. Remember, there are three degrees of the scale that may be lowered, but often only one is. That makes ascending melodic minor very close to major. We would need some very sophisticated analysis to find out how often 6 and 7 are actually lowered, at least in music written in the last two centuries or so.!

Regardless, worrying about what makes sense will just give you headaches. A crotchet doesn't have to make more or less sense than a quarter. Both names exist, so we just have to learn both. \:\)

#1153015 - 11/22/08 06:41 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary D.:
Regardless, worrying about what makes sense will just give you headaches. A crotchet doesn't have to make more or less sense than a quarter. Both names exist, so we just have to learn both. \:\) [/b]
Wise advice \:\) .

#1153016 - 11/22/08 06:51 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?
sudoplatov Offline

Loc: Near Dallas Texas
Quartering a doily isn't necessarily the same as crocheting a doily.

#1153017 - 11/22/08 07:07 PM Re: whole tone or whole step - terms?

Quartering a doily and wrapping a doily around a quarter or having doilies in these quarters are also different things. ;\) For the British and American terms, the "crotchet" makes me think of the shape of the thing (the hook-like flag) while "quarter" reminds me of its time value relative to a whole note.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (Anticlock, Almaviva, A Guy, 30 invisible), 906 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76011 Members
42 Forums
157172 Topics
2308403 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
EDTA solution to clean pedals, handles, etc
by Olek
46 minutes 51 seconds ago
AMusA exam questions
by Badinage
56 minutes 19 seconds ago
ES7 - Gig Bag or Hard Case
by gbitw
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
special gloves to reinforce good hand position
by Will1
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
Frederick Historical Concert Season - Fall 2014
by Terrytunes
Yesterday at 08:44 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission