2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, 8 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1153073 08/26/06 09:47 PM
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
I've been working on a theme and variations this summer. It's kind of neat; it's the longest piece I've written so far (75 measures (theme + 4 variations)) and the most 'developed' - a really good learning experience for me, especially as I go back and edit it a lot (which I never really did before; I even cut out a whole variation which I didn't like as much, and wrote a new one to take its place, but then cut that one out because I didn't like it as much either, and wrote a third one which I'm definately keeping, but still maybe needs a little work).

Sam
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Every year, the Basel Symphony Orchestra asks four composition students of the Music Academy of Basel to write a piece of about eight minutes' duration for them. This year, I'm one of them, so I'm working on that. I already have some 4'30" done. It will be performed in March 2007.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have an unfinished piano concerto that im still working on. I recently decided to change completely the main theme of the first movement, which meant rewriting a lot of the material. I still have to orchestrate a lot of the brass and woodwinds, its mostly strings at the moment.
I started some Variations on a Theme of Dvorak this summer that I still havent finished. So far I have a main theme/introduction and sketches for about 5 variations. I tend to leave a lot of the 'tieing together' to last.
I also am aiming to write a prelude for each key, and I have about 10 so far.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Current projects:
- A piano suite evoking the four seasons. Actually, I just finished this one and am putting some finishing touches on it. It's 18 pages and about 10 minutes in duration.

- A scherzo for piano. It's quite difficult pianistically, but it does fall nicely under the hand (it's just really fast). I'm having a lot of fun writing this one. So far I've got about 260 measures and I'm working on the middle section.

- A nocturne for piano. I actually wrote it about 6 years ago, but I'm making a few small revisions. I might try out some publishers on this one after a little editing.

- 3 untitled pieces for piano - they'll eventually form a suite. 1 is totally finished, second and third are just in formation.

- I'm considering re-working a piano concerto I wrote back in high school, but I don't know if it's worth it. As proud as I was of it back in High School, admittedly it would need a lot of work.

That's about it - I'm in a piano phase now, but I'm hoping to get back to writing some music for other instruments. I haven't don't that since college, when I had the instruments and players right at hand. Now as I only have a piano handy, I'm writing mostly for that.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My two big projects this summer are:

A Symphony
Music for "Blackwater Isle"

The Symphony will be played by my High School Symphony Orchestra once its complete. It was commissioned the Orchestra's conductor.

The music for "Blackwater Isle" is a game mod of a popular RPG called "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion." I'm writing the entire soundtrack to this new game, and that should be done around December.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I'm doing nothing except recording a colossal amount of improvisation, if that counts. I've more or less given up trying to notate anything; it takes too long and it interrupts the flow of ideas. I do have a respectable heap of compositions accumulated over the years but I don't think my spontaneous sort of brain has ever really suited the process.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
P
P
ive been working on a sonata recently and so far its going great but i havent written any of it yet because like ted said "it takes too long and interrupts the flow of ideas" which is a bad thing for me since i dont record any of my works either, which means im subject to losing some of them(which has already happened) im also working on a piano concerto and numerous other things!!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A ridiculous concerto to be written for my school music teacher as a joke about something he made up called "bread people".

You can only imagine how it will sound.

I'm working on a symphony which has a solo flute, harp and piano with lots of strings in the background. I just started it recently, so I haven't named it yet. And also I've been notationally cleaning up my piece, Il Pleure Dans Mon Coeur, which is almost finished. I think I might write a second movement to that sometime.

“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.”- Claude Debussy
A
A
I have the piece that I started for the poem. It's kind of taken on a life all it's own and I'm taking my time with it (as usual)

I have another piece in c minor I'm also working on.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i want to write a sonata (from the poem themes i started a while ago), but haven't got time to do it yet. i do want to get back to it sometime in winter...

P
P
Ahh, for me? A set of Etudes, Op.6, and a Piano Sonata.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
woops! just realized I had already posted!

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Hm

It started off as a dance back in September. (Though at the time I simply titled it "Music").

It sat in a pile for a few months.

In the mean time, I wrote down other tunes that popped into my head, but didn't really think much about writing anything big.

The other night, I came up with a new contrasting theme, that is a development of part of what I had in my earlier unfinished dance.

So I added that, and then figured out a way to lead that into a further contrasting section in a new key/meter using a theme that I was just toying with a few weeks ago.

Now it's seeming more like a little ballade, but I'm hesitant to give it a name other than simply "music" because I don't know where I am ultimately going with this! (Nor am I certain that I'd be happy giving it just one generic name like "Ballade" or "Dance", etc.)

Sam
D
D
I'm putting toghether my most developed and conciously made work so far. a piece I'll call my first "Sanata for piano" (sAnata with an "A", in our Buenos Aires dialect means a phony, a fake)
-first mov. (presto) is already finished and sharing here soon.
-second is a "fantasy-shaped" adagio which still needs tons of adjusts to see the light...
-third is a ragtime over 1st mov opening theme.

I'm working this year on the music for a theater play for children. of about half hour.
and a project I'd really like to start, in collaboration with a friend, (flute player and composer)is a concept-work inspired on Argentina's best known comic mag, "El eternauta" (this one will take a couple of years)

"You are what you listen to..."
A
A
A nocturne. I threw out my other pieces cause they weren't going anywhere and I can't write for an orchestra yet :p I'm still keeping my ideas for the composition with the orchestra.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by asherf:
A nocturne. I threw out my other pieces cause they weren't going anywhere and I can't write for an orchestra yet :p I'm still keeping my ideas for the composition with the orchestra.
Never throw out your ideas - you never know when you might want to resurrect an old idea for a new piece... smile

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
A
A
they weren't written down to begin with, you can't erase things from your mind... necessarly. They were basically just stressing me out and only came up with forced stuff that sounded terrible. there are "some" that I do want to ressurect I'm just pretty sure it's in the wrong format.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission