Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (Amir, Abby Pianoman, Aceituna, Amoled, Amosdoll, 36251, 23 invisible), 1162 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11526 - 08/24/01 10:17 PM Dampp-Chaser Cost
patdad Offline

I'm considering a Dampp-Chaser for whatever upright I finally wind up buying. Our indoor relative humidity levels can range from 30% to 60% depending on the season.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure for the cost of the unit and installation for uprights? Are we talking $100? $300?

Thanks!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#11527 - 08/24/01 11:09 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

For the complete unit, (dehumidifier, humidfier, and control, expect to pay $300 +. Make sure to keep the unit plugged in, the tank filled, and change the paper towel wick occasionally.

#11528 - 08/25/01 06:56 AM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
PatDad:

I was quoted $450.00 for the installation of a complete Dampp-Chaser system.

Regards,

#11529 - 08/26/01 11:17 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
Chris A. Offline

Loc: Ohio
The $450 quote sounds a lot more in the ballpark than the $300 price. IMO, the Dampp-Chaser is a wise investment. But don't expect to skimp on tunings because of the improved tuning stability you'll likely experience.

#11530 - 08/27/01 04:14 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
Lenny Offline

I just had the complete system installed in a new piano by the dealer for $275.

#11531 - 08/27/01 08:55 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
patdad Offline

Wow - $275 to $450! It's more expensive than I thought. At least now I'll be able to budget more accurately for the purchase of the piano, the DC, ongoing maintenance...

Thanks for your help.

#11532 - 08/28/01 04:31 AM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
BruceD Offline

PatDad:

By the way, I would not buy the Dampp-Chaser system for my - or any - grand.

#11533 - 08/28/01 08:33 AM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
Beth Offline

Loc: Atlanta Area
Why not, Bruce?

#11534 - 08/28/01 09:54 AM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Me too! BruceD. I'd like to know your reason for objection...

#11535 - 08/28/01 03:04 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
BruceD Offline

Beth and Andrew:

Given that the humidity affecting a grand piano - any piano for that matter - is that of the room in which the piano is located, and given that it is virtually impossible to create a micro-climate under the (open) underside of a grand piano, all the Dampp-Chaser is doing when dehumidifying is creating two (or three, depending on piano size) strips of heated air immediately adjacent to the sound board, but only in those areas where the strips are located. The rest of the sound-board is subject to the ambient temperature and humidity of the air circulating within the room. The temperature of the room could be considerably lower than that of the air next to the heater bars under the piano. I would argue - I do argue! - that you are doing more harm than good to a piano to have two (or three) narrow strips of the sound board heated to a higher temperature than the rest of the sound board.

It seems to me that humidification would be similarly narrowly localized, although I think the effect on the piano might - I say might - be less damaging.

On an upright, however, although the interior is not hermetically sealed from the ambient room humidity and temperature, there should be a better chance of a Dampp-Chaser creating a somewhat uniform microclimate inside the piano, just by the nature of its being an enclosed structure.

Now, ask me why Dampp-Chaser has been such a successfully marketed product and why so many individuals and institutions use it for thousands of pianos, I will simply have to say I don't know. It defies any elementary logic that I can devise. It makes more sense to me to work on ways of controlling room temperature and humidity than to try to control the humidity and tempoerature under a grand piano. However, I'm not known for the brilliance of my intellect, and I'm willing to be convinced, if I can be convinced, of the efficacy of such a system for a grand piano. Others more informed than I have argued this question on this forum at other times, and I remain unconvinced by their logic. Does any one else care to enlighten my dim-witted stance?

Cheerfully ignorant regards,

#11536 - 08/29/01 04:37 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
Chris W Offline

Loc: Boston
BruceD,

I can't enlighten any better than you did, but I totally aggree with you. With two digital gauges in and out of an upright, one of the biggest things I noticed was just how hard it was to approach a microclimate, where the heater rods could take effect. I can only assume one should forget it with a grand and realize that any thingy's put in it/around it will be a *distant* second to simply controling the room.

The humidistat I bought for my home spun internal system would look very nice on, and, indeed, was meant for a wall. You'd be violating code to do that yourself (BTDT \:D ), but with success you'd really have something to show the forum.

Johnson Controls makes them. Because of a human hair element, they literally signal on/off during bad hair days :).

Chris W

#11537 - 08/29/01 05:25 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
EricL Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
There is no question that controlling ambient temperature and humidity are a lot more effective in perserving the integrity of the soundboard than trying to create a microclimate on just one side of the soundboard. If the humidity on one side of the soundboard is very different compared to the other side, a humidity gradient is likely to be created across the thickness of the soundboard (bear in mind that it takes time for moisture to 'migrate' through the soundboard). The result is the development of internal shear stress in the soundboard (the more humid side tries to expand, but is restrained from doing so by the less humid side). This is definitely not desirable. Despite what people say about the effectiveness of the Dampp-Chaser System, I, like BruceD, will not contemplate its installation.

Eric

#11538 - 08/29/01 10:19 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I agree that Dampchasers are probably limited in their ability to control humidity. The pianos I see still change in pitch, and customers always forget to keep the tank filled. There is no substitute for controlling the ambient humidity.

#11539 - 08/29/01 11:22 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
Beth Offline

Loc: Atlanta Area
OK. I'm convinced. Now, how to retract that order for a damp-chaser I already sent to Santa......

#11540 - 08/30/01 06:27 AM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
BruceD Offline

Beth:

I have it on fairly good authority that Santa orders are retractable up to the third week of November, this year. You should have no problem!

Cheers!

#11541 - 08/31/01 01:49 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
Ivars Galenieks Offline

Loc: Latvia
I agree that if not full climate control in room, it makes difficult to keep all piano in optimal conditions.

But,partially, There are some very simple and some more complicate ways of humidity control in piano.

The simpliest and oldest is putting water tanks either in uprigt or near it, or under Grand.This method I think has both good and bad sides. The good is that water tank 1 to 3 liters dry out quiet a long time and there is not trouble that customer ,if forgot to fill, in mid of heating season occures dry and instrument has more problems,than without.The bad side is that to close to uprights strings it leads to rusting. Also pinblock with years may have problems.
But these systems do not make any profit to technician.And seems too archaic to many technicians.

Another kind of humidifiers are those filled with hygroscopic material. They also work for local area, but are quiet welcome for uprights in pinblock zone.

Third type is device like Dampp-Chaser. Of course it must take time in many years to find it's pluses and minuses. I also have doubts in the locality of the effect,so I'm still going around it But this is most profitable item for making money.Plus-minus 100$ You are not able to make profit from hygroscopic device or inserting water tanks.

One thing is common to all types: warm air circulation is ascending, so this fact makes narrow application of each of them.

The most problematic thing is to keep in good condition great grands.

In grands, moisture moves throgh whole wooden mass starting from open pores to resoning board and pinblock. In that case,effect will be most stable.
If to choose, which way of application to use , one should follow idea,that more important is to keep instrument in enough moisture, that avoids quick loosing of tuning and resonator from cracks and loosing belly.If to say roughly, it is less damage for whole piano if there appears some micro rust,than whole wooden construction dries and cracks. The guarantee terms for strings is approximately 15-20 years.

P.S. Then, what is better to do? - what's better for instrument.

Ivars

#11542 - 08/31/01 02:09 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Let me sound a different tone about Damp-Chaser. I had mine the first day my little beloved grand moved into my living room. I could not be happier since. My piano holds the pitch so good that I only need to have it tuned once a year. I know, I know, normally once a years is kind of less than the widely accepted minimum. Honestly, that's all I need. I do have sentitive ears to the pitch. All I'm saying is for.. well, just to tip the balance a bit. ;\)

AndrewG

#11543 - 08/31/01 03:14 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost
BruceD Offline

AndrewG:

I think I'd rather have two or three tunings a year, and have less concern about what possible damage the Dampp-Chaser might be causing to my piano over the long run. Furthermore, I enjoy my tuner/tech's visits.

Regards,

#2358954 - 12/06/14 04:01 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost [Re: patdad]
mal777 Offline

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
This is a very old thread, and I hope it is OK to revive it ?

If so, wondering what the current thoughts are regarding using a dehumidifier or not? My Yamaha C3X silent is on order, and I want to make sure it has the best possible care, as humidity during summer is quite high here

#2358964 - 12/06/14 04:30 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost [Re: patdad]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
How high is the relative humidity in your piano room, and how much does it fluctuate? Is the room kept at a constant temperature with the use of an air conditioner?
NY Steinway A, B @ work
Schimmel 130T, on loan

#2358969 - 12/06/14 04:41 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost [Re: BruceD]
mal777 Offline

The humidity here can get to over 90% in summer (Queensland Australia), and quite low in winter (well under 40%)
I have an air conditioner but don't run it during the night, or when I am out.

the following post is what has be wondering as to the use of Dampp Chaser is a worthwhile investment or not.

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Beth and Andrew:

Given that the humidity affecting a grand piano - any piano for that matter - is that of the room in which the piano is located, and given that it is virtually impossible to create a micro-climate under the (open) underside of a grand piano, all the Dampp-Chaser is doing when dehumidifying is creating two (or three, depending on piano size) strips of heated air immediately adjacent to the sound board, but only in those areas where the strips are located. The rest of the sound-board is subject to the ambient temperature and humidity of the air circulating within the room. The temperature of the room could be considerably lower than that of the air next to the heater bars under the piano. I would argue - I do argue! - that you are doing more harm than good to a piano to have two (or three) narrow strips of the sound board heated to a higher temperature than the rest of the sound board.

It seems to me that humidification would be similarly narrowly localized, although I think the effect on the piano might - I say might - be less damaging.

On an upright, however, although the interior is not hermetically sealed from the ambient room humidity and temperature, there should be a better chance of a Dampp-Chaser creating a somewhat uniform microclimate inside the piano, just by the nature of its being an enclosed structure.

Now, ask me why Dampp-Chaser has been such a successfully marketed product and why so many individuals and institutions use it for thousands of pianos, I will simply have to say I don't know. It defies any elementary logic that I can devise. It makes more sense to me to work on ways of controlling room temperature and humidity than to try to control the humidity and tempoerature under a grand piano. However, I'm not known for the brilliance of my intellect, and I'm willing to be convinced, if I can be convinced, of the efficacy of such a system for a grand piano. Others more informed than I have argued this question on this forum at other times, and I remain unconvinced by their logic. Does any one else care to enlighten my dim-witted stance?

#2358993 - 12/06/14 06:09 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost [Re: mal777]
prout Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted By: mal777
The humidity here can get to over 90% in summer (Queensland Australia), and quite low in winter (well under 40%)

the following post is what has be wondering as to the use of Dampp Chaser is a worthwhile investment or not.

Beth and Andrew:

In spite of claims made by BruceD above, I have empirical evidence that the the Dampp Chaser produces a very stable micro-climate for my grand piano, both below and, more especially, above. I live in Southwestern Ontario where the humidity varies just as yours. The house air conditioning keeps the RH in the 40-60% range, and the Dampp Chaser keeps the upper surface of the sound board at 45%, +\-3%. Without a whole house conditioning system, the variation at the piano would be greater, but still better than no Dampp Chaser.

Some technicians have posited that the constant cycling of the heating rods causes cellular damage in the areas of the soundboard that are proximal to the heating rods. No statistical evidence has been presented however. Considering that the Dampp Chaser system has been around for decades, there should be some empirical evidence of premature sound board failure.

There is also concern that the humidifier system causes localized swelling of the sound board. Again, no evidence has been presented.

It would be interesting to see if these claims have credence.

#2359034 - 12/06/14 08:18 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost [Re: patdad]
mal777 Offline

Interesting comments....thanks for your feedback prout

Mal

#2359035 - 12/06/14 08:26 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost [Re: prout]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: prout
Originally Posted By: mal777

Beth and Andrew:

In spite of claims made by BruceD above, I have empirical evidence that the the Dampp Chaser produces a very stable micro-climate for my grand piano, both below and, more especially, above. I live in Southwestern Ontario where the humidity varies just as yours. The house air conditioning keeps the RH in the 40-60% range, and the Dampp Chaser keeps the upper surface of the sound board at 45%, +\-3%. Without a whole house conditioning system, the variation at the piano would be greater, but still better than no Dampp Chaser.

Some technicians have posited that the constant cycling of the heating rods causes cellular damage in the areas of the soundboard that are proximal to the heating rods. No statistical evidence has been presented however. Considering that the Dampp Chaser system has been around for decades, there should be some empirical evidence of premature sound board failure.

There is also concern that the humidifier system causes localized swelling of the sound board. Again, no evidence has been presented.

It would be interesting to see if these claims have credence.

There's a possible risk in quoting very old posts. You do realize, I hope, that the quote from me was written almost 14 years ago, and that there is a caveat at the end of the post. I may have learned a few things in the interim. The information I posted was supplied to me by a technician - obviously not a Dampp-Chaser fan. That was given to me in 2000, even before that post was made!

There were some - perhaps as benighted as I - who agreed with me at the time, as you may have noticed. Did I mention that that was almost 14 years ago?

Regards,

#2359042 - 12/06/14 08:38 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost [Re: patdad]
mal777 Offline

Yep I apologize for digging up such an old post Bruce ....just thought it worthwhile to get some newer opinions

These testimonials (on the Dampp Chaser web site I might add) are of interest. It is also endorsed by some well known piano manufacturers, including Yamaha

http://www.pianolifesaver.com/english/testimonials/pianists

Looks like I will go with it, as my last C3 suffered horribly from rusted strings in the high humidity here

Mal

#2359047 - 12/06/14 08:57 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost [Re: patdad]
prout Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
BruceD,

Please accept my apologies for possibly impugning your reputation. It was not my intention. I knew that the thread was old, but did not realize the possible consequences of commenting on essentially stale data.

Prout

#2359057 - 12/06/14 09:40 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost [Re: patdad]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I am not a fan of the humidifier part of the DampChaser system. It produces a localized humidity effect on the part of the soundboard nearest the tank. It does not move humidity evenly across the bottom of a grand soundboard. You can see this by carefully observing pianos where the tank has been operating for a couple of days. Look at the surface of the bottom of the soundboard along the panel joints. The areas nearest the tank will show ridges or valleys depending on grain angle there are not along the same joint-farthest away from the tank.

Wood takes on humidity about five times as fast as it gives it up. So that stacks the deck against getting an even micro-clime of higher humidity across the soundboard.

The de-humidifier system I find very useful. I install the heater rods along the sides of the beams near to the soundboard. This gets the dry air above the edge of the case and creates a little micro-clime that spreads across the entire underside of the soundboard.

I use the 50watt rods and try to put at least two if they will fit in any grand.

I charge about $250 installed depending on travel distance of course.

#2359070 - 12/06/14 10:36 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
KWK Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT
It does not move humidity evenly across the bottom of a grand soundboard.

I've heard of installations with and with out fabric spanning the bottom of a grand. Does the fabric greatly improve the distribution of humidity, or is it still too uneven?

#2359074 - 12/06/14 10:54 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost [Re: patdad]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I don't install the fabric undercover. The construction and installation of it is at best mediocre. It looks like crap!

#2359076 - 12/06/14 11:20 PM Re: Dampp-Chaser Cost [Re: patdad]
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Loc: Northern Virgina
Interesting to see this old thread revived, 'cause I'm pleased to see that some folks agreed with me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_drying#Equilibrium_moisture_content

Read the section I've linked to above about equilibrium moisture content (EMC), and the section directly below it that says wood in service (i.e. finished products) retains the same qualities. It says that "the EMC of wood varies with the ambient relative humidity...significantly, to a lesser degree with the temperature." The relative humidity in the room is key. Humidity "aimed" at the piano will quickly diffuse into the room around it. If the application of humidity is close enough, and constant enough, the affected area may react like Ed described above, but that's only because it "hits" its target before it dissipates. And that's worse--too high in one spot and too low in the others! Because not too far away is wood that isn't receiving the densely moisturized air. I suspect that a system correctly installed ought not be close enough to do damage, but, in either case, the vast majority of the moisture diffuses into the surrounding space. Even the moisture that does end up in the piano will be wicked back out again unless the entire room's relative humidity level increases to match the piano's. So, to the extent that they "work," it's because they raise the RH in the larger space. I know you can get a cover to help with this phenomenon, and that's why the cover helps, but the piano still is not air tight. If you increase the moisture content of the sound board from below, the moisture is going to move to and through the top, into the ambient space (until it reaches EMC).

Think about a space heater that can keep a room warm. Then take the same heater outside and it won't work as well--the heat quickly dissipates into the colder air. It's the same with humidity. And the only thing that can keep humidity "locked in" is an airtight space. No piano is air tight.

I'm skeptical of the heating application to reduce humidity too. Wood is a lousy thermal conductor. So, a part of the wood is "warmed," and the rest remains unchanged. So a little bit of wood has it's EMC adjusted, but not the whole sound board. Again, not good (imo). I would think the only thing worse than humidity fluctuations would be if the entirety of the piano is not subject to them equally. Part going up. Part going down.

A whole-house solution is best (IMO).

People's opinions on this may change over time, but the laws of nature do not...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
circle of 5ths coaster
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Hal Leonard Teacher VIP
Hal Leonard Teacher VIP Your Source for Piano Music
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easy pieces in B major for begginers
by Aceituna
03/31/15 06:10 AM
Should I apply for bachelor or master degree?
by tobevirtuoso
03/31/15 06:09 AM
a special recording of a 1940 N.Y. Steinway D
by Michael Sayers
03/31/15 04:45 AM
Giggle time
by Jytte
03/31/15 03:45 AM
Memorizing After Learning Process Or...
by Batuhan
03/31/15 03:09 AM
What's Hot!!
Trade Regrets: Gary Trafton - Piano Rep
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
78,715 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,872 Topics
2,390,562 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission