Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1153432 - 04/19/08 06:38 AM switching from B flat clarinet to A clarinet: modulation question
absent-minded professor Offline

I realise that if the music is in flats, B flat Clarinets are used, but I'm not too clear about when you would switch to an A Clarinet.

Let's look at the following example:

why did the composer (Shostakovich) switch from B flat clarinets to A Clarinets? Was it because it modulated?
I tried analysing the modulation and I thought it modulated from B flat major to A sharp major, however I am confused why the key signature (for the A Clarinets) has no sharps or flats (red circle, near the question marks), only accidentals.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1153433 - 04/19/08 08:38 AM Re: switching from B flat clarinet to A clarinet: modulation question
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I am SO curious about this! I thought the A clarinet would get a key signature of G major so that when the tonic is played you would hear Eb matching the tonic of the other instruments (if it's in Eb major and not C minor). I am just learning a tiny bit about transposed instruments. It moves two notes as I expected, but in the opposite direction of what I expected.

But wouldn't this be primarily a transposition question rather than a modulation question.

#1153434 - 04/19/08 09:15 AM Re: switching from B flat clarinet to A clarinet: modulation question
mrenaud Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
In theory, the A clarinet would have to get a G-flat major key signature here. However, if you look at the music, it is clear that it wouldn't make sense and in fact be confusing to the player. So he left out the key signature and applied accidentals where necessary. It's nothing new, Beethoven already did that in the Seventh.

And it's correct that clarinets were chosen according to the key: B-flat clarinets for flat keys and A clarinets for sharp ones (in the classical era, C clarinets were also common) due to keys with many sharps or flats being especially difficult on the clarinet. But with all the improvements during the 19th and 20th centuries, those difficulties became smaller and composers started choosing the clarinets according to their timbre, with not much regard to the key. The A clarinet sounds warmer and darker than it's brighter B-flat cousin. Also, it obviously goes a semitone lower.

#1153435 - 04/19/08 09:51 AM Re: switching from B flat clarinet to A clarinet: modulation question

Thanks for the info, Mrenaud. My knowledge is still in its infancy. So does that mean the clarinetist has two clarinets with him, or would a different clarinetist kick in when it's a different clarinet being played?

I'm missing something in my knowledge here. I dismissed Gb major as the key because it is not two full tones up from Eb. Eb to F is one whole tone, and F to Gb is a semitone. So then I thought it would have to be a G major signature. And then I thought that a signature with a sharp would look odd, plus there is the question of how semitones are handled with flats vs. sharps.

So then I thought that if a key signature with sharps is not appropriate when there are key signatures with flats, the composer got around it by using C major (no sharps or flats) and fixing it up enharmonically with accidentals so that it functions like a G major signature (which I was fixated on) without looking like one.

By what you are saying I got it at least partly right.

Quote:
So he left out the key signature and applied accidentals where necessary.
So is C major a kind of "default signature" to get past thorny issues by creating a blank page so to say?

#1153436 - 04/19/08 10:12 AM Re: switching from B flat clarinet to A clarinet: modulation question

Oops, I think I see my mistake. There is only a semitone between Bb and A. I should not have dismissed Gb - gotta hit the rudiments books again, metaphorically speaking.

#1153437 - 04/19/08 12:02 PM Re: switching from B flat clarinet to A clarinet: modulation question
absent-minded professor Offline

Should point out that Shostakovich uses the A clarinet for a few pages and then switches back to the B flat clarinet. In a different context though, what would make a composer switch back and forth?

#1153438 - 04/19/08 12:35 PM Re: switching from B flat clarinet to A clarinet: modulation question

Mrenaud tells us that the different clarinets have different tone colour. And also that the two clarinets work better for signatures with sharps or flats because of how the notes tune to each other because of the physical properties of the instrument. I imagine it lies somewhere in what the difference is between a G# and Ab, and how that affects the colour of harmony and melody. I can't imagine there would be much of a range difference between a Bb and A clarinet.

Mrenaud? Someone else?

#1153439 - 04/19/08 01:03 PM Re: switching from B flat clarinet to A clarinet: modulation question
JohnEB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
Clarinets play flat keys more comfortably, and of course it's easier for the player not to have to cope with many accidentals or a key signature with many sharps or flats. So those are two reasons that a composer might choose an A rather than a B flat clarinet - to get the key into a flat key for the player, or to simplify the key.

There's a small difference in tone, and of course the A clarinet goes a semitone lower as has been said. Generally also A clarinets are more difficult to tune than B flat clarinets, no idea why. It may just be that the slight change in shape means it's more unstable around the register change.

Yes clarinettists have two clarinets and switch between them when necessary. Usually you keep the same mouthpiece. The composer has to allow time for the switch to take place: sometimes the time available is very short and the clarinettist is really struggling to get the right instrument! Also as an instrument is sitting idle it's not as warm as the one you're playing, so there's always a problem of tuning when you've just switched from one instrument to another.

(Yes, I play clarinet and have had to cope with all of the above. I also play bass clarinet so occasionally also have to switch between bass and 'ordinary' instrument).

#1153440 - 04/20/08 05:12 PM Re: switching from B flat clarinet to A clarinet: modulation question
ryank@12 Offline

I am not familiar with this piece. Maybe the clarinet part descends to (Concert) C# later, where only an A clarinet could realize the part. If not, I don't see the reason, because if it doesn't go too low, both instruments could play the passage just as well. Maybe in the composer's time, the modern system didn't exist.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
88 registered (adultpianist, Atrys, AZNpiano, alberto, 17 invisible), 1132 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250100 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission