2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
nonsensical message deleted

Originally posted by keystring:
Are you saying that the top voice can actually cross over and go underneath the cantus? If so, that should open up some more possibilities.
Yes, but be aware of the range of the voice in which you place the counterpoint in. The counterpoint must be a "singable" melody (which is one reason for all the melodic rules), and therefore cannot go past the limits of the vocal range you place it in. The cantus firmus is in the tenor range (fits alto as well), and your current counterpoint fits nicely in the soprano range. Voice crossing can confuse the distinction of the individual voices, so use it only if it makes melodic sense to do so. Keep in mind that you're doing something musical and not simply solving a puzzle.

My harmony book lists the following ranges for theory work. Bass: the F at the bottom of the bass clef to middle C, Tenor: C an octave below middle C to G above middle C, Alto: the G where tenor ends to C an octave above middle C, Soprano: middle C to G 12 notes above that. Are these the same ranges? There were no female singers at the time as I recall.

Yes, those ranges are good. Some books may differ slightly (usually on the bass range) but those will work.

This is my last try. I was reluctant to let go of the C in brackets because it sounded so nice. I would have also liked to make the first note in m. 2 a G, but I understand that would have been a parallel movement to a consonant.
[Linked Image]

The C in brackets in acceptable (preferable, actually). The voice leading is satisfactory here. The only thing that I would call attention to is the five consecutive 3rds (m 2, beat 2 through m 3, beat 2). With this much parallel motion of the same interval class in a row, the counterpoint loses its independence for a bit. Otherwise, this is good. smile

Last one, I promise - 2nd measure fixed.

[Linked Image]
I thought the C was not allowed because it is an octave, which can only go at the beginning or the end (I thought). It sounded like it should go there - why is it ok?
Thanks again for all the feedback, Hermosis. I feel as though I learned a lot these last few days.

What does "voice leading" mean?

Much better. Octaves are allowed in the body of the music; it is the unison that may only be used at the beginning or end.

Voice leading refers to how the individual voices (parts) that make up harmony (chords) move in relation to each other when the harmony changes.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission