Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1153685 - 09/11/07 07:02 AM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint
ZeroZero Offline

Loc: UK
got that Super

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1153686 - 12/22/07 06:26 AM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I'm jumping in from the Adult Beginner forum where Keyboardklutz's example here was posted so I tried to do the exercise. I probably shouldn't be doing this: I started rudimentary theory this year starting with note names but moved rather fast, and am at the very beginning of harmony - just piecing my chords together in combination in root position: smidgin of an understanding of cadences and that there is such a thing as movement.

So this is my version, strictly following the rules Keyboardklutz posted. (I've fixed the tritone, KbK). Now I am reading here that there is such a thing as a cadence, but it's a movement from 6 to 1? Wasn't there a time when there was no 7th note, so no leading note? So that would explain the 6 to 1.

So this is my first attempt, before:

#1153687 - 12/22/07 12:03 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint
Harmosis Offline

Loc: California
Hi keystring,
It's great that you're learning this stuff!

Now, for the fun part:

1) You've got parallel octaves at the end - that penultimate interval is an octave, not a major 6th (See below for more on this).

2) You've got two unison's in the body of the exercise (mm 2, 4). As this is First Species counterpoint in two parts, the unison may only be used at the beginning or end of the piece.

3) You have a whole note in the counterpoint for two half notes of cantus firmus (m 4). Again, as this is a First Species exercise, you should have 1:1 notes in counterpoint to the cantus firmus.

4) You have a P5 to a unison, a perfect consonance to a perfect consonance, in similar motion (m 4, beats 2-3). A perfect consonance must be approached by contrary or oblique motion.

5) You started the piece with an imperfect consonance - a major 3rd. A perfect consonance must be used at the beginning and the end.

As for the leading tone, these exercises do make use of it. The intervals of the cadence should be:

B-C
D-C

This is a major 6th interval to an octave. Notice that the major 6th contains the leading tone, resolving to the tonic.

Keep up the studies!

#1153688 - 12/25/07 05:59 AM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint

Thank you, Harmosis, for all that feedback. I feel like I'm groping in the dark since I barely have my feet wet for the most introductory level of even ordinary harmony theory, where you learn that there is such a thing as a cadence, or such a thing as V - I movement, or there is such a thing as a V. ;\)

So I have the rules you have set out, and the ones listed by Keyboardklutz. Is the basic idea that I am moving from a unison at the beginning to a cadence which is VI-octave, where VI is the leading note and those last two intervals create a cadence, meaning that it gives a finality?

Slightly off-topic: last night we were talking about plagal cadences, which in a certain quarter is being argued is not a true cadence because it contains neither the dominant nor the leading note. But it came to me that it is called "church cadence", and the notes include the VIth degree, which is actually the leading note in the present exercise. Historically might the plagal cadence herald back to earlier times?

#1153689 - 12/25/07 02:29 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint
Harmosis Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
Thank you, Harmosis, for all that feedback. I feel like I'm groping in the dark since I barely have my feet wet for the most introductory level of even ordinary harmony theory, where you learn that there is such a thing as a cadence, or such a thing as V - I movement, or there is such a thing as a V. ;\) [/b]
You're welcome!

Quote:

So I have the rules you have set out, and the ones listed by Keyboardklutz. Is the basic idea that I am moving from a unison at the beginning to a cadence which is VI-octave, where VI is the leading note and those last two intervals create a cadence, meaning that it gives a finality?[/b]
The beginning must be a perfect consonance, but not necessarily a unison (it can be an octave or perfect 5th as well).

The cadence is a major 6th interval resolving to an octave, but that is NOT to say it is VI resolving to I. When working through species counterpoint exercises, you don't often get functional harmony, so it is best not to think in terms of it. But if you wanted to look at it that way, then the cadences in Fux's species counterpoint would be V-I (as we are discussing counterpoint in two parts, I have placed a hypothetical third part in parenthesis make the point more clear):

-B - C
-D - C
(G)-(C)

The D to B clearly forms a major 6th interval, but as you can see, it outlines a V, not a VI.

Of course this is not the case in the phrygian mode, where we would use a phrygian cadence:

-D - E
(A)-(G#)
-F - E

I you haven't already done so, you should pick up a copy of The Study of Counterpoint from Fux's Gradus ad Parnassum, translated into English by Alfred Mann. It is a good step-by-step study of the species counterpoint that we are discussing now.

Quote:

Slightly off-topic: last night we were talking about plagal cadences, which in a certain quarter is being argued is not a true cadence because it contains neither the dominant nor the leading note. But it came to me that it is called "church cadence", and the notes include the VIth degree, which is actually the leading note in the present exercise. Historically might the plagal cadence herald back to earlier times? [/b]
The plagal cadence is absolutely a true cadence. As you pointed out, it is often associated with church music where it was used extensively (and why it is often called the "Amen" cadence). The word, "cadence," comes from the Latin word cadere - "to fall." This stems from the fact that musical passages in general tend to fall in pitch as the phrase closes. It does not mean that the major 7th (leading tone) or the 5th (dominant) must be present.

Even so, there is descending leading-tone resolution in the plagal cadence between the root of the IV chord and the 3rd of the I chord:

D-D
G-F# *
B-A
G-D

Even more so with a minor iv chord (between the 3rd of the iv chord and the 5th of the I chord):

D-D
G-F# *
Bb-A *
G-D

Plagal cadences can be very effective, even though the IV/iv chord does not have the tension of a V7 or viiยบ.

#1153690 - 12/28/07 06:29 AM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint

Now that I have stopped Christmas-hops around the country (I feel like a flea) ... thanks again for the additional explanations. I think I'll try that exercise again.

Quote:
should pick up a copy of The Study of Counterpoint from Fux's Gradus ad Parnassum, translated into English by Alfred Mann
I've also just looked it up and found this write-up Counterpoint (& Species) Definition
My first thought was that I have no business going any further until I have studied basic harmony, but now I'm reading that harmony theory wasn't even invented yet. I don't think I'll mix myself up through this diversion, what do you think?
I see that Fux's book can be purchased on-line. Was the original in Latin?

#1153691 - 12/28/07 12:48 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint
Harmosis Offline

Quote:
My first thought was that I have no business going any further until I have studied basic harmony, but now I'm reading that harmony theory wasn't even invented yet. I don't think I'll mix myself up through this diversion, what do you think?
I see that Fux's book can be purchased on-line. Was the original in Latin?
Yes, it was originally written in Latin.

Harmony theory was certainly known at the time, as evidenced by Rameau's Traite de l'harmonie of 1722.

In my opinion, it would probably be better not to start Fux's counterpoint and common practice harmony at the same time. Although there is much in common between the two, there are enough differences to cause confusion (for example, crossing voices is allowed in species counterpoint, but your harmony professor will not allow it!).

#1153692 - 12/28/07 02:05 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint

I'm not that far yet: just moving chords around in root position, but I skipped ahead in the harmony book and soon there will be those kinds of rules. I would like to get this exercise right though since I started it. How about this?

#1153693 - 12/28/07 03:31 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint
Harmosis Offline

That's much better, except that you have the interval of a 4th (m4, beat 3), which is a dissonance; and dissonances are not allowed in two-part First Species counterpoint. There are a couple places where contrary motion would have been better (as you have a lot of parallel motion). It is also considered bad form to approach or depart from a unison by skip, but, as the cantus firmus is skipping (m1, beats 1-2), it's less of an issue. Overall, this is good work. The only real problem is the 4th in measure four.

#1153694 - 12/28/07 04:31 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint

Thanks again. I did wonder about the 4th. I was conscious that I instinctively wanted to hop down to the dominant which sounds correct to modern ears.

Are you saying that the top voice can actually cross over and go underneath the cantus? If so, that should open up some more possibilities.

#1153695 - 12/28/07 06:24 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint

nonsensical message deleted

#1153696 - 12/28/07 06:46 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint
Harmosis Offline

Quote:
Are you saying that the top voice can actually cross over and go underneath the cantus? If so, that should open up some more possibilities. [/b]
Yes, but be aware of the range of the voice in which you place the counterpoint in. The counterpoint must be a "singable" melody (which is one reason for all the melodic rules), and therefore cannot go past the limits of the vocal range you place it in. The cantus firmus is in the tenor range (fits alto as well), and your current counterpoint fits nicely in the soprano range. Voice crossing can confuse the distinction of the individual voices, so use it only if it makes melodic sense to do so. Keep in mind that you're doing something musical and not simply solving a puzzle.

#1153697 - 12/28/07 09:33 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint

My harmony book lists the following ranges for theory work. Bass: the F at the bottom of the bass clef to middle C, Tenor: C an octave below middle C to G above middle C, Alto: the G where tenor ends to C an octave above middle C, Soprano: middle C to G 12 notes above that. Are these the same ranges? There were no female singers at the time as I recall.

#1153698 - 12/29/07 11:13 AM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint
Harmosis Offline

Yes, those ranges are good. Some books may differ slightly (usually on the bass range) but those will work.

#1153699 - 12/29/07 02:19 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint

This is my last try. I was reluctant to let go of the C in brackets because it sounded so nice. I would have also liked to make the first note in m. 2 a G, but I understand that would have been a parallel movement to a consonant.

#1153700 - 12/29/07 03:36 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint
Harmosis Offline

The C in brackets in acceptable (preferable, actually). The voice leading is satisfactory here. The only thing that I would call attention to is the five consecutive 3rds (m 2, beat 2 through m 3, beat 2). With this much parallel motion of the same interval class in a row, the counterpoint loses its independence for a bit. Otherwise, this is good. \:\)

#1153701 - 12/29/07 04:19 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint

Last one, I promise - 2nd measure fixed.

I thought the C was not allowed because it is an octave, which can only go at the beginning or the end (I thought). It sounded like it should go there - why is it ok?
Thanks again for all the feedback, Hermosis. I feel as though I learned a lot these last few days.

What does "voice leading" mean?

#1153702 - 12/29/07 05:15 PM Re: Quick question about Fux counterpoint
Harmosis Offline

Much better. Octaves are allowed in the body of the music; it is the unison that may only be used at the beginning or end.

Voice leading refers to how the individual voices (parts) that make up harmony (chords) move in relation to each other when the harmony changes.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
96 registered (36251, anotherscott, Abby Pianoman, 27 invisible), 1095 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76027 Members
42 Forums
157204 Topics
2308847 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Upgrading a Yamaha Silent Series piano
by pianelmo
09/01/14 07:14 AM
Stuck in method books.
by Chris H.
09/01/14 06:45 AM
Repeated note legato
by noobpianist90
09/01/14 02:16 AM
"Y.Becker" # 6839 (pin)
by Maximillyan
09/01/14 01:54 AM
Why are semi-concert grands so expensive?
by ColinDS
09/01/14 12:07 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission