2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi, i'm new here...I'm just beginning piano, but my mom and brother have been playing for years so I want to get a used piano (currently have a non-weighted casio :rolleyes: )

I have a chance to buy an Everette studio/full upright for $200 and its only a few miles from my house. Looks like the "school" model i think. I will check it out this afternoon and look for serial #, mechanical noises, etc...

I've also been looking at a Heinzman console/studio (42.5in)only 45min away from me...Looks like the owner can't find the serial# but he says the first date for tuning reads to January 21, 1954. It's going for $400 but i'm sure I could get it lower because it's been on Craigslist for a month and he has been very aggressive in providing any info.

Next is a Wurlitzer studio (46in) and was recently refinished and is supposedly working nice. Its going for $500, but I don't want to go above $400 with tuning.

Which of these would any of you recommend? I know I don't have much info, but whatever you can tell me is helpful. I spoke to a piano tuner about the Everett and he said its a VERY good deal if its working.
Also I don't care too much about the finish...i'm looking for that old-school studio/upright look and sound is more important than anything.

Thanks

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If you have spoken with a tuner/technician, I would suggest that you meet with this person and hire them to help you make a decision. We do not know where you are located, and none of us here can inspect the instruments in question.

For myself, I would go with either the Everett or the Heinzman. In reality the Everett, a couple of miles from home and only $200 dollars is the one I would check……….

Dan Silverwood
www.silverwoodpianos.com

OP Offline
Thanks...

Well I checked the Everett yesterday and I was very dissapointed. I'm not so picky about the look, but it was very rough on the outside, chunks of wood were gone, finish was very stripped in many places, wasn't very pretty at all and my mom wouldn't allow that in her living room (college student still at home). The sound was nice, but I could tell there were a few issues and would cost too much. The serial # indicates 1962.

I might check the Heintzman today. I found out it is the "elgin" model.

J
J
Originally posted by JAVez1983:
Thanks...

Well I checked the Everett yesterday and I was very dissapointed. I'm not so picky about the look, but it was very rough on the outside, chunks of wood were gone, finish was very stripped in many places, wasn't very pretty at all and my mom wouldn't allow that in her living room (college student still at home). The sound was nice, but I could tell there were a few issues and would cost too much. The serial # indicates 1962.

I might check the Heintzman today. I found out it is the "elgin" model.
You need to have a technician check out these pianos. You have no idea whether an "issue" is 15 minutes of taking up lost motion or 15 hours of major action overhaul. End of story. Of course it might need some major action work but so might anything that is 45 years old and not taken care of.

As to the case, if I were a poor college student again I would not worry about the case. If the innards were good then I would haul the thing into the garage and go to work with some sand paper and wood filler and stain markers.

The reason the Everetts were such good school pianos is that they took a TON of abuse and still worked decently. I have five still in my district and they are in the running for lowest maintenance issues. Maybe that's because the lids are bolted shut but I call that an inspired design in a school where kids will just reach in and snap off hammers (like one of my Baldwin Anniv verticals).

Piano Technician
Pro horn player
Recording Engineer
OP Offline
Good point about the reconditioning, but i'm a bit strapped for time (engineering student). I'll keep that in consideration in case I do go for it. I tried to get the piano tuner to take a look at it, but he was busy.

Like I said, I actually really liked the sound, and it was in tune with itself, but I don't have money to be taking risks. If it's not gone soon i'll convince the tuner to take a look at it and see if it's worth it.

Any info on the Elgin Heintzman?
Thanks

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The Elgin was an entry level instrument from Heintzman. It will have the patented agraffe bridge up top.

Not a bad instrument at all, small at 42 inches, but durable. Nothing really special about them, at one time they used an action from Germany that had plastic jacks. I still have some of those whippens here from the old Heintzman days……

There was a thread back a ways I have found for you here……

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/3/3133.html

I typed in Heintzman Elgin and this is the front page for a bunch of internet links.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=heintzman+elgin&aq=f&oq=

Happy reading. Usually this instrument would be about 1500.00 (still) so have a techie check the mechanics for proper function.

Dan Silverwood
www.silverwoodpianos.com

OP Offline
Well I wasn't able to see the Heintzman yesterday, but I might this weekend.

Thanks for the thread, gave me some good info. Well considering what it's going for compared to others online, its a good deal and the pics suggest it was well taken care of.

I'm looking at two Wurlitzer studios at $500, how would those compare...they are 45-46in and the Heintzman is only 42.5. Of course considering they are all in the same condition, which I think they are.

I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on the original 1936 Schubert studio that was on craigslist for $280. It was gone less than two days later...I would have picked it up on the spot...according to the seller it was "the nicest piano i've played" and "has very nice action". At least thats what he put on craigslist. The pics showed it was in great condition and the color and style were EXACTLY what I was looking for (light walnut satin, sort of dual tone)! This will haunt me forever which is why i'm trying to hold out until a similar deal comes again.
Any leads on an original Schubert studio?

Hay Jav,

What I would do, :rolleyes: since your a student and all, is this... Save your money, use the electronic keyboard that you've got now, and later after school is done and you've saved some more cash, get the Piano. By then you might run into a really great deal or a better piano than any of the ones you've been looking at.
Don't rush into it!

Scooter

Scott
Associate Member Piano Technicians Guild
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2
OP Offline
Scoot,

I understand your logic, and it would be a good one in any normal situation. The problem is i'm not a normal person. I won't be satisfied learning on unweighted Casio we've had for 12 years...and we used to have a baby grand, not sure what brand.

Also, i'm an avid musician (bass and drums)and like collecting good instruments that are very playable, somewhat unique, and affordable. I have a Fender Jaguar bass, Spector NS2005 bass, 1970's Ludwig drumset (re-ring), and a limited edition Squire telecaster in butterscotch blonde. I'm what you call a gearhead. Love instruments!

So in this case, i'd be better off getting a real piano that I can learn comfortably on and that my mom and brother can also enjoy.

But thanks for your advice.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
JAV...where are you located?

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
OP Offline
Mon,

I'm in Tampa, FL.

Why whats up?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Maybe someone from here could help steer you to a decent unit...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oops please disregard my post. I don't think I can delete it anymore. Didn't notice I was in the tech forum.

OP Offline
Thanks Mon, any help is appreciated

guest1013,don't worry, nobody replied to the post i put on the "piano forum"

I've seen both pianos on craigslist. I'm sort of weary about old uprights because of age, but this one seems in decent condition. Is Kingsbury a good brand? Compare it to another brand say Wurlitzer, Baldwin, etc...
The acrosonic is only 10 min away, but i'm getting pretty picky and I really want a studio more than anything else. It does look in very good condition however.

I think the deal that got away has spoiled me rotten and i'm willing to wait out till I get another one.

I'm also looking at a Baldwin studio that I am pretty sure is a Hamilton 243 and I really like the color and style. It's going for $750 but has been on craigslist for a month. It is at a piano wholesale warehouse. The Baldwin Hamilton 243 is an ideal piano for me, but most are a out of my $ range.

Here's the link http://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/1018528306.html

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by JAVez1983; 02/27/09 09:27 PM.
OP Offline
Hello,

I will be looking at several pianos this week and one today.

Two are Wurlitzer studios...both claim to be in very good shape and one has a de-humidifier in it and looks very well kept. It is from the 1970's and $500. The other has been refinished and they say that all the inner parts are in very good condition "The hammers have been reshaped , the felt bushings in for the keys have been replaced and the keytops have been replaced" at $400.
Can anyone tell me anything about Wurlitzer studios, compared to a Baldwin Hamilton or Weber studio?

The next piano is the one I will look at today...a Weber studio ($300). The owner doesn't know where it was made or how old it is but the serial # appears to be 1715382...is this a Young Chang version? Where is it made? Any good?
It is only a few miles away, but looks a little worn on the outside.

The last piano is a Baldwin studio (most likely hamilton). It is in decent condition, nice finish and is at a piano wholesaler and he says everything is good on the inside.
It's going for $750, but if I could get it at $500 I might do it.

Any info on the best buy and quality of each?

thanks

Last edited by JAVez1983; 03/02/09 12:18 PM.
OP Offline
Thanks all,

I ended up with a Baldwin Ham studio for $250...thats right $250...the tuner was stunned as well. Mid 1970's, Original owner, climate controlled, and only a little over an hour away. Piano went with owner everywhere, even when he moved to Boston AND London.

Sounds very good even untuned...I'll try to be back on to report how it sounds after tuning, but for now i'm taking a PianoWorld and Craigslist brake!!! I've spent COUNTLESS hours scouring craigslist and this forum getting info and looking for pianos and it paid off...

Way to go Jav!

Now, How about some pics. I like pics! laugh

Good luck with it!

Scooter

Scott
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
No offence, Scooters, but we technicians know what a piano looks like. We see dozens every week. I know it is all the rage to post a picture of any given regular piano on the Piano Forum, and it would probably be good if that habit stays over there on that forum.

Jay, sounds like you got a good deal. Happy music making.

JG
Offence?? Gee wizz Supply... I was just trying to share in his happiness of buying a "new" used piano? If he posts some Pics, please try and don't look. I don't mind if you don't look. whome

It's up to you Jay... Anyway, I'm happy for ya too.

Scooter

Scott
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission