Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 27 of 100 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#1161706 - 03/12/09 07:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Key Notes]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
AWTPTP & Key Notes - here's 2 versions of Light & Blue that I recorded some time back, which might give you some ideas about what to do with this fun piece - this was one of my favorite Book 2 pieces which I have long since memorized and still play once in awhile just for the sheer joy of it - the "modified" version below has a new opening (just a short run found elsewhere in the piece as a transition), a double repeat of a certain key measure (this happens twice) and an enhanced ending - hope you enjoy and that this is remotely helpful!

Regards, JF

Light & Blue (Book Version)

Light & Blue (Modified)

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1161877 - 03/12/09 01:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: TrapperJohn]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Thanks Key Notes smile : sorry again for the shaking camera (resting it on the piano is a mistake), I’ll search for a solution (ie a non piano stand) for any future recordings and I’ll try to do some Alfred’s pieces so we can all relate.

John Frank: Your modified version of L and B was great; I really enjoyed your alterations.

Update time:
I started Night Song (Nocturne) today. Circus March had some dynamics that were slightly tricky but overall wasn’t so bad (and is a recognizable tune).

As for Hokey Pokey: going in my expectations were very, very low. I had read (from previous generations on this thread) that it was frustrating and not appealing to play (ie La Bamba all over again frown ). The LH staccato and RH long-short style legato melody combination was difficult at the beginning but my hands (the team) eventually cooperated. Afterwards, I actually found myself enjoying playing this worn tune.

As for Night Song: it is absolutely beautiful to play thus far. There is a concise preamble stating it is “easier than it looks/sounds”. This is true (surprisingly); it is a simple chord inversion progression (at least the first half).

Edited by Waltz (03/12/09 01:32 PM)

#1161892 - 03/12/09 02:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
crystalncrew Offline

Loc: SC
How proficient do you all get before you move on to the next song? Do you memorize? I'm thinking getting good enough to play with the cd maybe? I'm progressing through(slowly) but I'm not sure if I need to sit on the pieces a little longer or not. Thanks!
Crystal

#1162058 - 03/12/09 08:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
mmikle Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
do you know where i could find or purchase the sheets for waltz in g minor or do I have to buy the whole book

#1162079 - 03/12/09 09:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: crystalncrew]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: crystalncrew
How proficient do you all get before you move on to the next song? Do you memorize? I'm thinking getting good enough to play with the cd maybe? I'm progressing through(slowly) but I'm not sure if I need to sit on the pieces a little longer or not. Thanks!
Crystal

I think it depends on your goals and personal ability. If your goal is strictly to “learn” then I don’t see the utility in “memorizing” a piece (that is, committing it to memory without the aid of the sheet music). This is where I fall; I memorize the piece to the extent where I can play it with the music in front (a combination of motor memory and sight reading). If your goal is to build a repertoire of Alfred’s music then you may want to dedicate more time to “memorizing” pieces (to play in front of friends/family etc.). I do, however, spend disproportionate amounts of time with pieces I feel are “challenge” pieces. Calypso Carnival has certain technical features that have kept me coming back to it nearly daily since I “passed” it. I could play it sufficiently then but now can do so much more smoothly and probably could play it strictly from motor “memory” if I was inclined to do such things. However, I am not. My goals are strictly learning to play. After Alfred’s I’ll build my repertoire, not during.

#1162192 - 03/13/09 05:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
crystalncrew Offline

Thanks Waltz. Right now I am really focusing on some other seperate pieces but still going through the book. I am not giving it near the attention as the other pieces. That's also why I am moving slower but that's ok smile

#1162233 - 03/13/09 09:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: crystalncrew]
Undone Offline

Loc: USA, CT
Crystal

I don’t necessarily try to memorize any of my Alfred pieces before moving on (though sometimes it happens), but I do work on each piece until I am able to get a recording of it that I am happy with. Just what makes me “happy” with any individual recording may vary somewhat from piece to piece.

I found out early on that it was too easy to fool myself into thinking I “had a piece down” if I didn’t record it. I am not working with a teacher and only play for myself (and occasionally my friends here in ABF). Often a “little mistake here and there” would be easy to overlook (or then there’s my favorite “if I can play it through twice without making mistakes in the same place each time, then I’m done”), but by trying to get a decent recording of each piece before I move on, I know I’m not falling into these traps. Besides, I now have a nice collection of every Alfred piece I’ve completed and its fun to go back and listen to these from time to time to hear how I’ve progressed. smile

Some people consider this overkill and I won’t argue that. I would certainly be further along in the Alfred books if I allowed myself to move on once I thought I “learned enough” from each piece. As to whether my overall playing ability would be any further along or not - well who knows?

Undone

#1162266 - 03/13/09 10:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: crystalncrew]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Certainly: an important aspect of practicing/playing the piano is determined by one’s unique preference on their journey (versus simply ultimate goals). It will be a while before many of us will have the ability to learn our “dream” pieces so enjoying the voyage there is just as important as arriving (even though, personally, I tend travel with haste…) smile

#1162286 - 03/13/09 11:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

I made two new recordings of two recent Alfred's 2 pieces this morning and have now uploaded them. I will post the links this afternoon smile .

#1162378 - 03/13/09 03:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here is my rendition of Brahms's Lullaby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sweV7I-7Nx8

#1162381 - 03/13/09 03:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here is my rendition of Calypso Carnival:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpHoo55cuc

Mark... ,

There is no performance of this piece on page one. If you feel it is worthy I would certainly not mind if mine was used.
smile

#1162561 - 03/14/09 12:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
JF: Thanks for sharing your versions of Light and Blue. It's always helpful to be able to hear different interpretations of the same piece. I also enjoyed your modified version as well, especially the ending. smile

Waltz: Great job with your latest recordings! Calypso Carnival seems like it would be a fun and fast piece to play. Thanks for sharing.

Key Notes smile

#1162589 - 03/14/09 02:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: crystalncrew]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Crystal

Hi crystalncrew,

I too, have similar interests and mentalities as Waltz and Undone when it comes to how much time I spend on any given piece. Since there are so many variables and factors for each of us, I believe that it would ultimately depends on you and your personal interests and goals.

Basically, I'll only move on if I felt that I've throroughly learned the intended theories and/or techniques presented in that particular lesson, and can play the piece quite well with both my body and fingers relaxed (yet upright), and with the correct rhythms and intended tempos. This can vary anywhere between a couple of hours to a couple of weeks per piece so far, depending on the levels of difficulties and how much time I spend on them (and I have to confess that I don't practice every single day blush). And while I don't try to intentionally memorize anything, it does come naturally for certain pieces through sheer repetitions.

I hope that our collective answers has helped you with your gauging somewhat.

Best regards,

Key Notes smile

#1162590 - 03/14/09 02:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: mmikle]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mmikle
do you know where i could find or purchase the sheets for waltz in g minor or do I have to buy the whole book

Hi mmikle,

Try this site.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com

#1162616 - 03/14/09 06:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Key Notes]
crystalncrew Offline

Thanks everyone! Undone, I might just try the whole recording thing. I think it's very easy to trick myself into thinking that I have a piece down but when the adrenaline picks up, I discover the truth shocked

#1162801 - 03/14/09 05:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Key Notes]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Key Notes

[b]Waltz:
Great job with your latest recordings! Calypso Carnival seems like it would be a fun and fast piece to play. Thanks for sharing.

Key Notes smile

Thanks! smile CC is kind of fun to play but easy to lose rhythm and make errors. You couldn't really see my LH due to the camera angle but throughout the entirety of the song it is stretched over an octave (and in staccato) which is tiring to practice. The tempo is "moderoto" but every version I heard online was played at a slightly faster tempo and I think it sounds more festive to play it quickly.

What is the latest on your progress? I'll be anxious to hear when you begin La Bamba crazy

#1163094 - 03/15/09 11:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
Undone Offline

Waltz, I really enjoyed listening to your recordings of Brahms’s Lullaby and Calypso Carnival. Job well done! I particularly liked the Brahms piece and remember having to struggle a little to get the nice flowing sound that you demonstraite.

On Calypso Carnival, if your open to a little constructive critisisim from someone with absolutly no credentials to give such, I think it sounds a little bit rushed. It’s not that this piece can’t be played at that tempo, but while listening I get the feeling that your “pushing it” just a tad beyond your comfort level. I think those quarter notes (tied eigths) need to be held just a little longer so that it doesn’t sound like your in a hurry to get to the next phrase.

This of course is just nitpicking, you did a great job on this selection. I’m just trying to provide what I hope is some helpful feedback; the same sort of thing I would like to hear regarding my own recordings.

Undone

#1163165 - 03/15/09 01:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Undone]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Undone,

Actually, you are right on the money. The quarter notes were easy to "blow past" due to anticipation of the next section. Next time I practice the piece I'll try to slow the tempo down (maybe a little counting out loud :P ) and give the quarter notes their full value. Thanks for being honest and for the kind words smile

#1163168 - 03/15/09 01:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Also Undone, if you still have your recording of Night Song I would love to hear it. I have heard multiple interpretations of the tempo and they all sound nice so I'm not sure exactly how quickly to play each section. The piece begins "andante moderato" eventually changing to "a little faster" and then "a little slower" . . . That's a little ambiguous haha.

#1163679 - 03/16/09 04:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
Undone Offline

Originally Posted By: Waltz
Also Undone, if you still have your recording of Night Song I would love to hear it. I have heard multiple interpretations of the tempo and they all sound nice so I'm not sure exactly how quickly to play each section. The piece begins "andante moderato" eventually changing to "a little faster" and then "a little slower" . . . That's a little ambiguous haha.

Here you go Waltz. This is the recording of Night Song that I made back in July of last year. As you will hear, my interpretation was to take this piece much slower and to try and make it more “Nocturn-ish”. I found it to be a great piece to work on both feeling and expression (and to pretend I was playing a Chopin Nocturn at the time). smile

Night Song

Undone

#1163769 - 03/16/09 08:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Undone]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Undone,

Beautifully played! That is the slow counterpart I had hoped to hear (z32 and the other youtube video are at a much faster tempo). I gave myself the "pass" on Night Song yesterday (I may try to make a recording sometime, I don't know) and am now on Hava Nagila. If you finished Night Song ("halfway mark") in July is it safe to assume the difficulty of the second half is much higher? Thanks for posting the recording and great job once again!

W

#1163933 - 03/17/09 05:49 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Undone]
crystalncrew Offline

Great Job Undone!

#1164516 - 03/18/09 09:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: crystalncrew]
Undone Offline

Waltz, yes, I found that the pieces in the second half of Alfred’s book 2 do keep getting more difficult to complete, in part because many are longer. But it’s also true that at about the time I was finishing Night Song, I also started working a lot more on supplemental pieces and that certainly slowed my progress in Alfred’s quite a bit.

Oh, and by the way, Hava Nagila was definitely one of those songs that took a long time for me to complete (at an appropriately quick tempo), but it’s also one that’s a lot of fun to play.

Undone

#1164526 - 03/18/09 09:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Undone]
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Two questions on Light and Blue:

1. What is a "moderate blues tempo"?
2. How do you keep the LH from sounding like it is just droning on and on... when I get to about measures 13-18, that left and part just gets annoyingly repetitive. Perhaps this improves as I quicken the tempo?

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1164630 - 03/18/09 01:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Undone,
I concur about Hava Nagila being fun to play, I generally end up bouncing my left leg to the rhythm as I play. The only gripes I have are that my left hand fatigues as I practice and for the "third movement" (please forgive the liberal use of the term) Alfred's suggests A and C to be played with 3 and 1 respectively: that hurts my hand haha.

AWTPP,
AlexMan's youtube video of L and B is a tad on the fast end of the tempo spectrum (but it can be played that way if one wishes). Have you listened to John Frank's recording? His tempo feels "right" to me, but it is mostly up to the interpretation of the performer. I am not sure exactly how "moderate blues tempo" would be strictly defined: to me it is slightly ambiguous (as are much of Alfred 2's written tempos).

#1164632 - 03/18/09 01:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Always Wanted to Play Piano
Two questions on Light and Blue:

1. What is a "moderate blues tempo"?
2. How do you keep the LH from sounding like it is just droning on and on... when I get to about measures 13-18, that left and part just gets annoyingly repetitive. Perhaps this improves as I quicken the tempo?

AWTPP - a "moderate" blues tempo might be in the range of 80-100 bpm, or at least that's how it sounded good to me - I used to listen to a lot of blues and have a fairly large CD collection - I played my versions at 90 bpm (see back on page 32 of this thread).

The left hand part is what it is and it'll sound the same no matter what the tempo - it was designed to be simple and serve as a drone against which the RH melody is a sharp contrast - but the basic LH pattern is actually broken at several points, which does break up the monotony somewhat - instead of fighting it go with it, tone it down and let the RH dominate as it should - or get creative and invent your own LH variations - and enjoy the music!

Regards, JF

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1164946 - 03/18/09 09:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: TrapperJohn]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Just checking in, working on Theme from Symphony No.6 ( 1st Movement ) this week. Sounds a little muddy so I gotta "polish" it off before tomorrow's lesson. Also finding this a little challenging on the dynamics but that'll come..

thumb

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1165138 - 03/19/09 07:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: TTigg]
Undone Offline

TTigg, How did you find Waltz in G Major? I’m on this one now, and have also started on Symphony No. 6. I like Waltz, but its gong to take some time before I’ll be finished with it. I suspect I’ll finish Symphony first.

Undone

#1165176 - 03/19/09 09:21 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Undone]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Undone
TTigg, How did you find Waltz in G Major? I’m on this one now, and have also started on Symphony No. 6. I like Waltz, but its gong to take some time before I’ll be finished with it. I suspect I’ll finish Symphony first.

Undone

Not in my book #2 (not the all-in-one). For #3 the only option was all-in-one and it's not often the 2 books don't have the same stuff.

From looking @Alex's video it looks nice, complicated, but nice. I would agree you'll finish Symphony first

thumb

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1165190 - 03/19/09 10:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Undone]
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
Re The LH in Light and Blue. If you look at the score you will see the bass line is 12 bars repeated. It follows a standard 12 bar blues chord progression of a definite pattern, which is very slightly different to the pattern introduced in Book 1 with Got Those Blues.

Light and Blue
Pattern I , IV , I , I , IV , IV , I , I , V7 , IV , I , V7

Got those blues
Pattern I , I , I , I , IV , IV , I , I , V7 , IV , I , V7

Commas inserted merely to improve the spacing as the preview reply box seems to ignore repeated spaces.

Just thought I would throw that in. I've always enjoyed Light and Blue, as for tempo I play it at a tempo I am comfy with, a little bit faster than The Entertainer, which I don't play fast!

Good to hear the progress you are all making.

Page 27 of 100 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (Al LaPorte, accordeur, Almaviva, 36251, 44 invisible), 1674 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153605 Topics
2251266 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just can't get my head around temperament!
by LarryShone
17 minutes 10 seconds ago
clavinova clp 115
by rochoula
21 minutes 53 seconds ago
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
Today at 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission