2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
oh I wish I was old enough to go :P

"Why do you have to be like the Cleveland Browns when you can strive for excellence like the Pittsburgh Steelers?"

--our orchestra director to the 2nd violin (he's a diehard Steelers fan wink )
My wife and I have cruised a few times with Holland America (HA) (we're "Mariner" members) but we can't make this cruise. Too bad! But I do have a serious suggestion for all piano-playing cruisers.
There's a dearth of available pianos on cruise ships. HA has several Yamaha grands aboard but they are all in public spaces (lounges, restaurents, also behind the stage) so the passengers can't really use them. There are good reasons for this: one is that you're "competing for time" with the professional entertainers (of course they come first) and, secondly, you really must NOT inflict your playing (and in my case, lack of competence!) on paying passengers. And you can't make a noise at night! On the last HA cruise I found myself sharing the Yamaha upright behind the screen in the Wajang movie theatre with one of the classical piano entertainers between movies, cooking demos and late at night (he copied one of my Mozart scores to practice!) Even he could not get the piano time he wanted! In the two week cruise I barely got in 4 hours of practice in.
I wrote to HA Head Offcie and politely suggested that they install half a dozen digital stage pianos (with NO speakers!) in the ship for passenger use (pick up headphones at the pursor's office or, better, bring your own), but I got no reply. I will write again.
May I ask Frank and all interested parties to lobby the cruise lines for this? (Including our still favourite HA!) We might then find a "sea change" in the passenger-accessible piano population on-board.
What other ideas do people have for getting more passenger-accessible pianos on cruise ships?
Cheers,
Roger

Last edited by analogdino; 04/13/09 03:54 PM.

An engineer(EE) from Thornhill, near Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
General Music PRO1 stage-piano plus very good audio system.
"Repair, refurbish, rebuild, reuse, re-engineer, recycle..." Keep the old 'uns playing! Applies to pianos as well as vintage radios (my other hobby!)
Hi, all.
My wife and I have cruised a few times with Holland America (HA) (we're "Mariner" members) but we can't make this cruise. Too bad! But I do have a serious suggestion for all piano-playing cruisers.
There's a dearth of available pianos on cruise ships. HA has several Yamaha grands aboard but they are all in public spaces (lounges and behind the stage) so the passengers can't really use them. There are reasons: one is that you're "competing for time" with the professional entertainers (of course they come first) and, secondly, you really must NOT inflict your playing (and in my case, lack of competence!) on paying passengers. And you can't make a noise at night! On the last HA cruise I found myself sharing the Yamaha upright behind the screen in the Wajang movie theatre with one of the classical piano entertainers between movies, cooking demos and late at night (he copied one of my Mozart scores to practise!) Even he could not get the piano time he wanted! In the two week cruise I barely got in 4 hours of practice!
I wrote to HA Head Offcie and politely suggested that they install half a dozen digital stage pianos (with NO speakers!) in the ship for passenger use (pick up headphones at the pursor's office or, better, bring your own), but I got no reply. I will write again.
May I ask Frank and all interested parties to lobby the cruise lines for this? (Including our still favourite HA!) We might then find a "sea change" in the passenger-accessible piano population on-board, e.g. several fully-weighted keyboards with headphones only (no speakers.)
What other ideas do people have for getting more passenger-accessible pianos on crusie ships?
Cheers,
Roger

An engineer(EE) from Thornhill, near Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
General Music PRO1 stage-piano plus very good audio system.
"Repair, refurbish, rebuild, reuse, re-engineer, recycle..." Keep the old 'uns playing! Applies to pianos as well as vintage radios (my other hobby!)
A
A
Oh man I'll love to go! I wish that I didn't live on the other side of the world and were financially independent. Keep this cruise going every year or so!

B
Bex Offline
B
Can you tell me what opportunities we will have to play and perform the piano? Also, can someone give me the total cost of the cruise, excluding optional shore trips, but including taxes and other fees? Of course airfare is a separate cost.

Thank you.

On the piano stand:
Widmung
Partita in c minor
Jardins sous la pluie
V
V
Hi Frank,

I'd dearly love to go - but 2010 is out. I'd be available for a 2011 sailing though.

There are a lot of mega ships coming on line the next year or so. When the time comes could you look into the Norwegian Epic, Royal Caribbean's Oasis/Allure of the Seas, etc. for possible outlets. With such gigantic ships maybe they'd have more pianos on board and more venues. Just a thought.

Thanks for putting together such an interesting outing. Hope this fabulous idea continues for years to come.

V

B
B
We only have one more month to confirm the group space and guarantee the NEW LOWER RATES for everyone. I will be making all deposits for those who have confirmed in mid August and the final payments will not be due until December.

NEW LOWER RATES:

INSIDE FROM $ 799
PROMINADE FROM $ 913
OUTSIDE FROM $ 956
BALCONY FROM $ 1087
JUNIOR SUITE FROM $ 1899

As before these prices are per person and do not include airfare, transfers to ship, gratuities, Govt taxes (currently at $97 per person), possible fuel surcharges, and insurance.

It is imperative for more information or booking that you contact me at 860-887-6481 or email dvtravels@hotmail.com

We only have a few cabins left and these prices will not be offered after 20 August.

As noted before with a group we do have access to the lounge with piano on the beautiful deck 14 during both sea day afternoons. Look forward to meeting you all.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
B
B
see info above on new lower costs of the cruise.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
J
J
so ho much would it be for just one person to go on this cruise.. does the price include flight and what oher exspences????

"Music is what feelings sound like"
B
B
It is unfortunate that the cruise lines charge just about double for a "single" occupancy. Perhaps someone else on the "thread" will want to join you and make a "cabin". Email me as noted above and I can give more info.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
B
B
I have posted the new rates which are less than the original ones. Our deadline for price guarantee is mid August. Email dvtravels@hotmail.com Hope you can join us.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
B
B
A note to all who have confirmed the cruise. All cabins are reserved. Deposits will be made on August 20th as they would hold cabins without money. We have deposits from 5 couples and room for a few more. After 25 August the price and space cannot be guaranteed.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
B
B
With one more week to go before prices go up on cruise here are the single rates and INCLUDE all taxes and port charges.

Inside: Total $ 1548
Outside: Total $ 1850
Prominade: $ 1764
Balcony: From $ 2180 to $ 2390

This does not include gratuities, airfare, shore excursions (optional), and on board charges.

It isn't as bad as I thought earlier.

It is important to contact me by August 24th. You can hold a cabin without penalty with a refundable $ 500 deposit (until January 2, 2010). PRICES WILL BE GOING UP AFTER AUGUST 25TH.

Call me at 860-887-6481.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
B
B
RCCL has agreed to keep the old lower rates in effect as long as group space is available. If you would like to have fun and play a piano on a cruise ship please contact me today at dvtravels@hotmail.com.

Look forward to seeing everyone going to Cape Cod.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
B
B
IMPORTANT NOTE:

Group space in the two lowest balcony categories are no longer available. Also effective October 20, the prices for inside, outside and prominade cabins will increase from $50 to $ 100 per person. Please if you are even thinking of going please call me before the 20th at 860-887-6481.

I booked another couple tonight and we are now up to 7 cabins. Join us for fun.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Frank, my wife and I are in the process of pricing various cruises so I am really envious of the cruise you have advertised. Since we are much further away your cruise would be ideal but much more expensive as we would have to fly to the US.

We are currently looking at Venice/Greek Islands/Turkey - all without a piano.

If my lottery numbers come up in the meantime, I'll join you!
Good Luck.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Cruise is coming up soon, but there is still time to join us!

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Pricing has come DOWN!

There's still time to join us...

Frank,

I have great news for the pianoworld family

Due to my agency volume with Royall Caribbean everyone who has booked on the cruise already, I have had their final invoice reduced between $ 400 and $ 500 and will be notifying them.

EQUALLY AS IMPORTANT IS THAT IF ANY MEMBERS HAVE NOT BOOKED AND RESERVE PRIOR TO JANUARY 1ST, THEY ALSO WILL GET THIS LOWER PRICE SAVINGS.

Can you please send out an 'EMERGENCY NOTICE" to your membership and have them contact me as soon as possible. Even rates for singles in cabins has been dramatically reduced. Then can call me at my office phone 860-887-6481.

Saw the ship last week and it is in great condition and awaits us now less than 90 days away.

Bill Potuchek,
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Prices are down, now is the time to sign up!

Check out the ship we will be sailing on, it has a fantastic collection of fun stuff to see and do. Plus we get to play the pianos.

You will also be the group that helps us begin the plans for our European tour in 2011.

Give Bill a call, he has all the details.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Come on folks, still time to join us for our first ever piano lover's cruise.

Details are at the start of this thread.
Pricing has actually come down, so it's a good time to contact Bill our travel agent.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission