2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 54 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 53 54
B
B
Hello. Been lurking for a couple weeks, and now I've decided to register.

Played violin from around years 11 to 18 of age. Flute around 11 to 15. Piano from around 13 to 16. These have all been pretty much "formal" playing; that is, with lessons. Came back perhaps three years ago (currently 24) to the piano, playing on my own... very on-and-off, although I'm playing a lot more these days for the past half-year -ish. Mostly learning music from Japanese videogames I've played. I may, at times, play a lot of piano, but I don't intend to take it to anything beyond hobby status. I'm more a math and science kind of guy, anyway.

I've recently taken a liking to jazz, particularly jazz trios where piano is boss =), so I'll probably be wanting to get some of that sort o' stuff up in my repertoire.

E
E
Ah, hello all! I'm fifteen and have been playing piano for ten years now. It has only been recently (talking about the last year or so) that I've gotten a lot more serious about piano, though I've been competing (and if you'd like to know whether or not I'm good, yes, winning) ever since I started.

I can't really say anything here that most of you (probably) already know: music is more than incredible and piano, piano is love. My new baby grand just came in a couple of days ago- I'm still smiling. I'm ecstatic! Yes, I'm serious about piano. It's depressing the number of hours in a day and all the obligatory things in life that take away from the time I can be playing.

In addition to piano, I play cello but I'm not serious about that at all. It's something fun, something different.

I'm kind of wary to put myself online here but I have to admit it's intriguing and I'm looking forward to being uh active? Anyways, hi, nice to meet everyone, and I'm excited to start conversing (or just lurking wink ) here! Oh- and CLASSICAL! I play classical piano, neh? Not that I have anything against other genres (e.g. jazz) but I'm really strictly a classical pianist.

E
E
Hi, I'm Edel!
I am 15 years old and have just bought my very first grand piano! It is a Wendl & lung 161, from 2007. I know it is not exactly the best you can get but is good enough for me.

I have played for about 6 years, and I really love it. At the time I play Aufswung by Schumann, and I am working on two rhapsodies by Bhrams. I am here to get inspiration from other pianists, and to have discussions and conversations about music.

M
M
Yow everyone!!! grin I'm a new member here.. laugh
Lemme introduce my self 1st..

I'm Amel..
From Bali, Indonesia

I lovvvveeee pianoo really much..
Esp. Chopin and Bach..

Well umm.. as a new member, I wanna say.. I hope we can be friends... and nice to meet you all.. laugh

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I'm glad you graduated to a real piano. I often judge competitions here in So. California and occasionally a young student will come in and become disoriented at the grand piano, not knowing which octave to play in. This is a sure sign that he has been practicing on a short keyboard.

Your current program is an interesting and challenging one.

If you are interested in practice tips and technical suggestions, you can find some of this information on my blog: neilstannard.blogspot.com.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
J
J
Hello! OSK and some others in the Van Cliburn Amateur Competition chat room pointed me to this forum. I've been playing piano for almost thirty years now, and am currently working on polishing about an hour's worth of music for competitions and recording. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area with a Grotrian 192 and a cat. Hope to see some of you this summer at one of the amateur piano competitions!

Welcome!! Glad to have you aboard. smile

J
J
Thanks! Is there a pointer to etiquette and/or common practice for the Members' Recordings section? (e.g. Is editing discouraged? What streaming/hosting platforms do people prefer?)

I don't think there is, justarobert... A lot of folks here use box.net to upload recordings, with Youtube for the videos of course. I don't think most PW members have a problem with general editing techniques (adding reverb, cutting out mistakes or page turns, and the like).

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by justarobert
Thanks! Is there a pointer to etiquette and/or common practice for the Members' Recordings section? (e.g. Is editing discouraged? What streaming/hosting platforms do people prefer?)

Right. It might be nice to slip in that you edited a recording if you did, but aren't studio recordings edited anyway? I just wouldn't use them for auditions or saying that you didn't edit them.

M
M
Hello robert! Good to see you. I'm originally from the SFO area, my family is there. Welcome to the forums. :-)

B.M.Ed.
M.M.Ed.

Elementary Music/Choir Teacher

Estonia L190
A
A
Hi there! i'm from Malta (Europe) here's a link to another thread where i introduced myself smile

My Thread

Anna

Music is a result of inspiration and love for life. It's a means to make life more exciting and interesting!
A
A
Hi Grobanite,

I found you by chance here, are you really a grobanite? are you on fojg? i am there too, let me know who you are i'm curious!! LOL!

Music is a result of inspiration and love for life. It's a means to make life more exciting and interesting!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I Lurk =)

N
N
I'm new to the site. Blogged and enjoyed the V.C.Amateur
competition. Learned much from the comments & inspired by
the performers, so much that I am learning "Widmung" and
a Rach.Prelude and back to Czerny et al.

Will there be live streaming video of the Boston competition?

N
N
nice to meet you and share your enthusiasm and appreciation for the piano.
Keep on posting!
Are you liking your new grand piano? It will be a life-long treasure.
I love mine. It was given to me by my parents and for that has special
meaning.

E
E
Yes! I love my piano. I can't quite remember how it felt to practice on an upright (my former piano)

S
S
I took my first piano lessons as a sophomore in college (I think) and progressed at a satisfactory rate (to me) given that I rarely practiced. Upon transferring to a different university, I continued lessons for two more years but grew frustrated with my slowing progress (although not surprising as I still was not inclined to practice).

After graduating, I didn't take lessons and didn't have access to a piano, so I played sparsely (if that) on an inexpensive keyboard until I broke down and purchased a Roland digital piano probably around 2002 or 2003 (about 8-9 years after graduating). I enjoyed it immensely for the first year or two but began to grow dissatisfied with the clacking keys and general action (even though the sound was really nice). The digital piano began to collect more and more dust until I finally decided to sell it and purchase an acoustic upright piano in 2008 (new Yamaha P22).

With the new piano, I found great pleasure in the sound and action and became motivated to sign up for lessons again. I am still taking lessons as of now. I practice more regularly, but finding time and motivation seems to be a great challenge. Without the lessons, I think my skills would continue to languish.

My current teacher is really good, but I feel that I am learning things (posture, hand movements, etc) that I should have already learned but didn't. I am trying to cultivate better habits, but progress seems to come at a glacial rate compared to when I first started over 15 years ago. In addition, while barely better than a beginner (especially when it comes to sight reading and rhythm), I have a growing desire to move from my upright to the action and expressive capabilities of a grand piano (mostly from my experience of playing on one for my lessons).

I am now looking to purchase a grand piano, thus coming upon this forum while searching for information. Currently, I am investigating a rebuilt (actually still being rebuilt) Mason & Hamlin 1952 AA (yes, it really is a 1952 AA, see https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...ential%20Mason%20and%20Hamlin%20Pur.html for more info).

I probably will be primarily a lurker, but I hope to continue to learn from the knowledgeable people here.

Mason & Hamlin AA
P
P
Hi everyone,

I'm a 17 year old incoming college student from the Philippines. I've been playing the piano since I was 5 years old. I joined because I found these forums to be a great source of guidance and knowledge and because I wish to learn more. I wish to further enhance my playing. Right now I'm learning Debussy's Deux Arebesque No.1, Bach's two part invention No.8, Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu, and Ernesto Lecuona's Malaguena. As my username says, please teach me, I'm more than willing to learn.

Thanks!

Knowing is half the battle.
R
R
Hello my name is Renata, a 16-year-old level 8 pianist. I have been playing piano for 9 years but I did take a year off to take some dance classes. I also play French horn, guitar, recorder, and trumpet. I am a performing arts high school student. I hope to learn a lot about pianos at this forum.

Page 25 of 54 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 53 54

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission