Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1159723 - 03/08/09 09:24 PM Damping Resonance vs. Stereo Sustain Samples
rgb12 Offline

What is the difference between these two features? The definitions for both in the yamaha manuals see to be same, basically to simulator the resonance created when the damper pedal is depressed.

ie.
CLP-330 - Has damper resonance but no stereo sustain samples
P140 - Has stero sustain samples but no damper resonance

So, which would sound better when the damper pedal is depressed?

Comparing digital pianos is frustrating; too many fancy names and not enough good explanations of the underlying technology being used. (of course, thats why we try them out before buying smile )

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1159730 - 03/08/09 09:43 PM Re: Damping Resonance vs. Stereo Sustain Samples [Re: rgb12]
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ignore the marketing hype and just trust your ears.
If you like (or dislike) what you hear, that's all that matters.

#1162551 - 03/14/09 12:02 AM Re: Damping Resonance vs. Stereo Sustain Samples [Re: Horwinkle]
rgb12 Offline

Anyone know the difference between stereo sustain sampling and dynamic resonance? I'm quite curious as they both pertain to the damper sound.

#1162568 - 03/14/09 12:49 AM Re: Damping Resonance vs. Stereo Sustain Samples [Re: rgb12]
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Stereo Sustain Samples
The Yamaha web page has sample mp3 files, comparing with and without stereo sustain sampling (SSS). It seems that **with** SSS you hear the decay of each note, as recorded. As a tone decays, it doesn't just get softer. It changes in a subtle way. Without SSS you won't hear that change. (The difference is significant. Frankly, I find this more important and noticeable than string resonance. BTW, the also have mp3 files comparing with/without string resonance.)

Dynamic Resonance
That's not a Yamaha term is it? Do you mean Dynamic Damper Effect (DDE)? Yamaha lists that as a feature on the CLP240, 270, 280, 340, 370, 380. My 240 has a button to turn it on and off. The difference ... nothing that I can hear!

Yamaha describes it as follows:
.. "DDE recreates the subtle resonances that occur when
.. you press the damper pedal down on a grand piano."

Translation:
.. "Bullcrap."

#1162617 - 03/14/09 07:07 AM Re: Damping Resonance vs. Stereo Sustain Samples [Re: Horwinkle]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
It seems like if they recorded the sample properly (i.e. the whole note with decay and not just the initial strike plus a loop) then you would automatically get the "SSS" effect as the original recording source decays. Of course you'd you to do that for each of the different loudness sample levels (3, 4 or 5) on each key. But any recent DP with good samples should have a natural decay sampled from the original. I'm not sure if that should have to be a "feature".

As for damper resonance, this is *very* noticeable on the Roland HPs and adds a lot to the overall sound. If you don't notice it much on the Yamahas, than it hasn't been implemented well, because it's a very important element to a realistic piano sound.

#1162673 - 03/14/09 11:01 AM Re: Damping Resonance vs. Stereo Sustain Samples [Re: Geoffk]
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

As for SSS ... yes, it seems that if they sampled the decay, they wouldn't need to do looping. So, if they loop, they must not be using decay samples. Well, I don't know their specific methods. They have very little to say about it on the web, and that little bit is mostly marketing-speak.

As for string resonance ... I do hear it on the Yamaha mp3. It's there, but not very noticeable. It's not very noticeable on acoustics either, or on the synths that I've tried (Pianoteq, etc.) Yes, I hear it, but I just don't find it striking. I guess it's easy and cheap to implement, compared to some other improvements that would produce greater benefit (like better speakers).

#1162743 - 03/14/09 02:43 PM Re: Damping Resonance vs. Stereo Sustain Samples [Re: Horwinkle]
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
You can also approximate the decay of a string by putting the looping sample through a gentle low-pass filter. This slowly removes the higher harmonics from the sound. (This is actually the most basic form of physical modeling.)

#1163332 - 03/15/09 08:26 PM Re: Damping Resonance vs. Stereo Sustain Samples [Re: mahlzeit]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Actually, I find string resonance to be a very subtle effect, and I might not miss it much if it was gone. The damper resonance is very noticeable, though, and I'd miss that a lot. You hear that every time you press the pedal.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (accordeur, 36251, Alkanaut, 41 invisible), 1715 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74215 Members
42 Forums
153524 Topics
2249803 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
04/17/14 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
04/17/14 10:50 AM
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
04/17/14 10:50 AM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 09:37 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
04/17/14 09:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission