Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
134 registered (36251, anamnesis, 36 invisible), 1626 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Forum Stats
76981 Members
42 Forums
159223 Topics
2338943 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1152420 - 02/25/09 10:25 AM Re: Least computer looking notation software
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Both of them look good to me. The music output from Lilypond looks marginally better, but I don't like the font for the vocal text (something which can obviously be adjusted). This is a matter of some importance to me as I'm finishing up a set of ten pieces to submit for publication. If accepted I'm sure the publisher will have their own ideas about typesetting the music. If not then I'll self publish it and then Lilypond may become an important part of my workflow.

I looked at the documentation this morning on how to import XML files and found that I could also use an ETF file. Am I correct that either requires running a program in the command line? I've done a little of that (IP config, etc) and I know how to get there (click on start, click on run and your command line appears) but it's definitely outside my comfort zone. It would be helpful if you discussed that aspect in more detail. Thanks.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1152421 - 02/25/09 12:09 PM Re: Least computer looking notation software
mkorman Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Chandler:
I looked at the documentation this morning on how to import XML files and found that I could also use an ETF file. Am I correct that either requires running a program in the command line? I've done a little of that (IP config, etc) and I know how to get there (click on start, click on run and your command line appears) but it's definitely outside my comfort zone. It would be helpful if you discussed that aspect in more detail. Thanks. [/b]
It seems that the ETF convertor is not maintained anymore, so I wouldn't expect it to work very well. But yes, that requires running a command-line program, just as with the MusicXML convertor. It wasn't difficult to use, though. To run the MusicXML convertor, I just typed "musicxml2ly ", where is the name of the MusicXML file, and it created a file with a .ly extension. I then ran LilyPond on that file, and it created the PDF.

If you're not comfortable with the command line, or not willing to learn, maybe LilyPond isn't for you. Although, it does seem there's a frontend for Windows: http://denemo.org/

If you would like to learn, I highly recommend you read the LilyPond tutorial: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Tutorial#Tutorial

I myself am a computer programmer, so I find this to be a highly natural way of working. But I understand that this may not be typical. I'd be happy to help in any way.

#1154105 - 02/27/09 05:38 PM Re: Least computer looking notation software [Re: mkorman]
James McFadyen Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
Speaking as a Music Publisher I can say that LilyPond gives the most musical and professional looking prints possible with computer software.

The tweeks in Sibelius and Finale do not compare with even the most basic layout of a rough LilyPond score.

LilyPond may not WYSIWYG but the power and quality far out-weights this rather mute point for someone who really cares about the look and musical feel of scores.

We have started our own LilyPond Service Station at http://www.devilishpublishing.com/lilypond

This might help you get started not to mention the great LilyPond manuals which are light years ahead in simplicity and organisation than any 400 software!!

#1154436 - 02/28/09 06:56 AM Re: Least computer looking notation software [Re: mkorman]
gnu Offline

Originally Posted By: mkorman
Although, it does seem there's a frontend for Windows: http://denemo.org/

I think that Denemo is even more of a work in progress than MuseScore. It kept crashing when I tried it.

The best frontend is probably Rosegarden, which doesn't run on Windows, unfortunately.

#1160015 - 03/09/09 11:41 AM Re: Least computer looking notation software [Re: gnu]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Well I just tried using an xml file in Lilypond and ran into a basic problem. I've put the xml file in my my documents folder. My DOS skills are rusty to nonexistent. How do I specify the file, I tried just the name plus extension (Melody.xml) and it's unable to find the file. If someone would remind me what the proper syntax is for addressing files in the command line I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What music do play for your partner/husband/wife
/sweetie?

by Johan B
11/20/14 04:51 PM
One for you soundboard gurus...
by RonTuner
11/20/14 03:08 PM
Yamaha YDP-S51 or Roland F130R?
by Vetyver
11/20/14 02:35 PM
Musical Neighborhood?
by DancerJ
11/20/14 02:01 PM
Dream Piano Search & Purchase
by Miguel Rey
11/20/14 01:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission