Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1159070 - 03/07/09 02:49 PM Comparison of CASIO: CDP200CSPB AND PX120CSCBSP.
Elie Offline

Great forum!
I will be starting as a beginner again after 20 years of not touching a musical keyboard.
I am in the market to buy one of these two CASIO: CDP200CSPB AND PX120CSCBSP.

Any idea what's the meaning of all these suffixs? I don't get responds from Casio so far.

I read a lot of the posting here in respect to these two models as well as in general. These two models are in my price range. Either of the two is C$599.99. I read their specs several times and have attempted to compare them. I am look to have a fair balance between price, quality of DP sound, the feel, and certainly its features and so on.

Please, I would truly appreciate if you could offer me your own personal review, opinion, pros, cons, and or comparison of the two.

Thankx!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1159241 - 03/07/09 09:14 PM Re: Comparison of CASIO: CDP200CSPB AND PX120CSCBSP. [Re: Elie]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
no idea about the suffixs, but after all it's just a CDP200 or a PX120. i haven't seen CDP200 in stores, but PX120 has been around for a while already. so, if you want to compare the 2, then first check each one's specs, and secondly, try them out in stores to see which one you like the best.

#1159543 - 03/08/09 02:22 PM Re: Comparison of CASIO: CDP200CSPB AND PX120CSCBSP. [Re: signa]
avko Offline

Loc: Brampton, ON
Costco.ca has CDP200 on sale online for $499 till March 15

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx...&lang=en-CA

Here is comparison of some Casio and Yamaha DP.

http://www.mannsmusic.co.uk/admin/pdf/CDP200%20-%20AP200%20Comparisons.pdf

CDP 200 looks like to have more features than PX120. If you truly want a portable too checkout PX320. My daughter learns on a PX 720 bought at Costco and it sounds awesome.

#1159554 - 03/08/09 02:52 PM Re: Comparison of CASIO: CDP200CSPB AND PX120CSCBSP. [Re: avko]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
As far as I can tell, the technology in the CDP200 is pretty much the same as in the Casio CTK-5000 and WK-500. From hearing the sounds in these models, I would suggest that the base samples used for the pianos and electric pianos are the same as in the PX-120/320/720. However, the method of reproducing the sounds appears to be different. The CTK/WK keyboards use AHL (Acoustic & Highly-compressed Large-waveform)whereas the Privias use AIF (Acoustic & Intelligent Filtering System).

The difference in practice seems to be that the grand piano sounds have more presence, body and expressivity in the AIF Privias. Maybe the very high compression in the AHL-driven keyboards sucks some of the life out of the samples. When it comes to EPs, the difference may not be so great - both systems seem to use only two sample layers for EPs and the sound is not so hot anyway (IMHO). I would hazard a guess (again from listening to the two systems) that the tri-element AIF Privias employ (as the name suggests) three sample layers for acoustic-type pianos, as opposed to two on the AHL keyboards.

You would need to play them side by side to decide which you like best, but if you can't do that I would suggest sticking with the PX-120, if you don't need all the extra sounds and features of the CDP200.

#1159561 - 03/08/09 03:06 PM Re: Comparison of CASIO: CDP200CSPB AND PX120CSCBSP. [Re: voxpops]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I forgot to mention that polyphony is far better on the PX120 - 128 notes as opposed to 48. Although 48 sounds plenty, you have to take into account that stereo piano samples use half of the available polyphony for each channel, so the effective polyphony is cut to 24 on the CDP200 and 68 on the PX-120. Do a long sustained run on the CDP and you'll soon get notes cutting off. Add in some strings as a layer and you'll be down to 12 notes on the CDP.

The PX-120 also has piano-oriented features such as half-pedaling (with a suitable pedal) and acoustic resonance. I don't know what the differences in action are, but the PX series has been praised for having a good piano-like action in a very lightweight, compact body.

#1159570 - 03/08/09 03:27 PM Re: Comparison of CASIO: CDP200CSPB AND PX120CSCBSP. [Re: voxpops]
avko Offline

Loc: Brampton, ON
Thanks for adding the Polyphony, I was just thinking about it.

The PX 720 that I have has a wonderful sound system. The speakers do not distort on high volume setting and are built separately in box. The piano comes with 3 pedals.

For entry level PX120 is good but when PX720 goes on sale it as at the same price as PX120.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10306698&lang=en-CA

http://www.priviapiano.com/products/PX-120/

#1160069 - 03/09/09 01:31 PM Re: Comparison of CASIO: CDP200CSPB AND PX120CSCBSP. [Re: avko]
derekp Offline

Loc: Chicago Area
I can give a partial answer to the numbers after the model number. Usually they indicate a particular bundle. For example, Best Buy sells the PX120 bundled with a stand and 3-pedal unit (which is why their price is $100 more than normal). So their part number has the "CS" (Casio Stand) and "SP" (Sustain Pedal) added on it. The "CB" means that the Casio Bench is included.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
Today at 02:59 PM
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
Today at 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
Today at 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
Today at 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
Today at 11:42 AM
Who's Online
155 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, 49 invisible), 1734 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76379 Members
42 Forums
157892 Topics
2318888 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission