Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1160310 - 03/09/09 08:38 PM servicing the action v. regulating the action
JF Offline

My tech wants to service (tighten?) the action now and regulate later. Should I have him do both at the same time? Am I wasting my $$ having him service the action now? Will the servicing work disappear once the action is regulated?

Thanks, guys, any help you can give is great.

JF

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1160324 - 03/09/09 09:13 PM Re: servicing the action v. regulating the action [Re: JF]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Well, I usually tighten everything down when I regulate the action so, if I were to "tighten it down now" I'd tighten it down again later too just to make sure things stayed that way.

Maybe the action screws are so loose that he thinks it should be tightened now but, doesn't have the time until later to do the whole job?
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1160334 - 03/09/09 09:44 PM Re: servicing the action v. regulating the action [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
The best person to ask would be your tech, but most "service" on an action might mean a little less work later. You probably will not be paying for the same work twice.

#1160355 - 03/09/09 10:22 PM Re: servicing the action v. regulating the action [Re: BDB]
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Tightening loose screws is necessary before reguation. So make sure you are not paying twice. For future reference, find out why the Tech can't do all the work necessary within a certain time frame. How much later?

#1160499 - 03/10/09 03:50 AM Re: servicing the action v. regulating the action [Re: Ron Alexander]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
When I am servicing an action I usually have a couple of hours to work with. A complete regulation on can a good two days worth of work or about 12-16 hours. It could even take more time if there are issues with repinning and key weighting.

Today I serviced a 20 year old Yamaha G-3 at a church where the local teachers will be conducting adjudications. Hammers had not had any work done in many years, the action was stiff, pedals out of adjustment and a tuning about 20 cents flat. A "servicing" in this case consisted of pitch raising and tuning, lubricating the key pins and bushings, adjusting the pedals, adjusting the damper upstop rail, a light filing of the hammers followed by a little voicing to even up the tone.

It is possible there may be some redundancies if he services the piano now and regulates later. But if the tech keeps track of the work that he does and not too much time lapses in between, the servicing may give him/her a head start on the regulating. Just make sure they really know what they're doing.

How did you find your technician and how do you know they are qualified? From your post, it sounds like your not 100% confident that your tech is serving you well.

Edited by rysowers (03/10/09 03:51 AM)
www.pianova.net

#1160539 - 03/10/09 07:13 AM Re: servicing the action v. regulating the action [Re: rysowers]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
Of course, it's difficult to know from a distance...

In my vocabulary, servicing might mean only making things work. Maybe you've got a few keys that are loose due to the dry indoor air? Maybe a few wobbly parts in need of care?

Regulating usually means a whole lot more work - depending on the tech and the situation it may mean replacement of some or all of the worn parts to bring it at least back to factory specs...

If you don't need/want to play right away, then just do the big job now. If you want to play now, then go for the servicing and then schedule the regulation when you and the tech both have time.

Ron Koval

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

#1160554 - 03/10/09 08:00 AM Re: servicing the action v. regulating the action [Re: RonTuner]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Ron:

That Avatar really dates you.

#1160558 - 03/10/09 08:07 AM Re: servicing the action v. regulating the action [Re: UnrightTooner]
JF Offline

Thanks, everybody. The tech is new to me but highly recommended, and I like him on the phone.

Sounds like I am not going to waste my money, and I do want to play now and spend more time, money later.

I am just going to keep track of all that is done to the piano, with the date, so that the work is not duplicated in the near future. I will have it fully regulated in a few weeks.

You guys are great--

JF

#1160607 - 03/10/09 10:11 AM Re: servicing the action v. regulating the action [Re: JF]
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

JF, with questions like this it really helps if we know how old the piano is, how long it's been since it was serviced, what kind, etc.

If your tech is doing "service" to "get it working" now, and later 're-does' some of the same things in the context of regulation, it's really not 'paying for the same thing twice'. Sorta like changing a tire on the road (the dreaded "donut"...) then changing it later (to a "real" one). You've done the "same thing", but not really...

I'm not saying you shouldn't be conscientious--you, and every other consumer should be, always. Ask questions! Most of us will talk your ears off about pianos!!

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Two treble clefs
by Amwriter
09/21/14 04:27 PM
Arpeggios! How and how much do you practice them?
by malkin
09/21/14 04:17 PM
Canon in D in 2+ parts/voices
by kobethuy
09/21/14 02:50 PM
Advice on Hammer purchase.
by plns
09/21/14 01:37 PM
Light Hammers- Computer Analysis of 3 Grand Piano Actions
by chernobieff
09/21/14 01:12 PM
Who's Online
142 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, 46 invisible), 1495 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76277 Members
42 Forums
157672 Topics
2315952 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission