Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1160107 - 03/09/09 02:40 PM Re: Piano Predictions Thread [Re: daniokeeper]
Seneca Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Personal predictions.
The accoustic piano is going to be around for a long time to come. The main technological impact will fall in two areas. One, the availability of constantly improving digital keyboards as an alternative will tend to make the piano, more and more, a luxury item. Two, technology will lead to improved manufacturing and maintenance practices--pianos will be manufactured to closer tolerances, of raw materials that are cast, dried, etc. to higher standards, and the technological gadgets available to those who service pianos will mean fewer bad tunings, etc. In other words, the piano itself will be on the receiving end of the changes rather than changing itself, and, bottom line, look for better, more expensive pianos (note, I'm not talking Steingraber or Boesendorfer, here, I'm considering what middle class parents might buy for an interested child or a recent college grad might buy for himself).

Also, it's easy to knock Walmart, but as tjbsb noted, Walmart payrolls are pretty important to many a local economy. I shop at Costco, not Walmart, and in the Pacific Northwest, Costco is well regarded for providing health insurance and decent pay for its employees. How many small businesses can provide health insurance for all their staff? And, in the last year, I've personally seen the following piano brands on the floor at Costco--Estonia, Boesendorfer and Yamaha. I didn't bother to look at the prices, but I'm sure that, one, you could get a better deal somewhere else if you shopped hard enough, and two, the prices were fair, firm and inclusive.

Edited by Seneca (03/09/09 02:44 PM)
Edit Reason: clean up typos

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1161105 - 03/11/09 08:21 AM Re: Piano Predictions Thread [Re: daniokeeper]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Quote:
“I’ll be searching for a "real piano without strings". aspiretobe

There's a bit of humor in that sentence, but I'd like to avoid any lame efforts, so I'll pass on the cheap shots.

Your new guitar has strings. It needs tuning, adjustments and new strings from time to time. A real piano is bigger and much more complex, so the only real difference that I can see is that it's not a DIY instrument for maintenance and tuning, but then neither are the Digital Pianos.

Good luck with the search. That receipt will be interesting.
-----

#1161238 - 03/11/09 12:15 PM Re: Piano Predictions Thread [Re: daniokeeper]
TsonicTsunami Offline

Loc: Melbourne Village FL.
Self tuning pianos are in the cards. The technology exists and surely will be implemented.
They will have the ability for standard A=440 or with the flick of a switch go to any tuning loaded into it by software. As someone just getting into the field of piano technology it is easy for me to see this and it will rise well above the level of "gadget".

It is not the end of anything but the beginning of everything. The piano technologist of the not to distant future will need a skill set of computer hardware,software and robotics to go along with traditional skills. After all it is piano technology!

I am attaching a link to Gibson guitars and their Robot Guitar. I know a guitar is not a piano but I'm sure someone somewhere has this all figured out. They just have to get a price point that will work.
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric...o/Features.aspx

#1161262 - 03/11/09 12:53 PM Re: Piano Predictions Thread [Re: TsonicTsunami]
aspiretobe Offline

Loc: PA
"It is not the end of anything but the beginning of everything. The piano technologist of the not to distant future will need a skill set of computer hardware,software and robotics to go along with traditional skills. After all it is piano technology!"

Absolutely agree! No different than a car mechanic that has to go around with a laptop to troubleshoot/diagnose a car. Yes, the "engine" may be very similar but the tools change; in order for the tools to change, the technology needs to change (it's been available in the other industries for many, many years) and piano companies that will not adapt and change will go by the wayside. The same thing happened to equipment mechanics that used to replace belts or gears to change machine speeds and now all they have to do is download new settings to the servos. ( the "same" servos used by Gibson!)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (36251, accordeur, Al LaPorte, AndresD, 42 invisible), 1867 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156227 Topics
2294433 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
Today at 12:52 PM
What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
by Spuds
Today at 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
Today at 11:32 AM
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
Today at 08:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission