2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I just got a "Seven Metal Meditation Gong" from Amazon.com and want to determine what note it rings with.

I have tried listening to my Roland FP-4 digital piano and matching the note I'm hearing. What procedure do piano technicians use for this type of thing. I have it narrowed down to approx. the 2nd B up from middle C.

Are you listening to vibrations when getting this matched up with a note. What can I do?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
It's not likely any ET note, dead-on. I think most all ETD would give you something like B +27 or whatever cents, but I don't use'em so can't really say...

Probably some funky cosmic tone with lots of weird partials...

PTG Associate Member

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)
That's similar to my drums. The only way I can decide what note it's playing is to hit the drum, hum the note I hear then go to the piano. Like Mr. Morton says, it has lots of partials, but your ears (hopefully coupled to your brain) will decide on one main note.

You could download the demo for Veritune or TuneLab and give that a try just for fun.

Scooter

Scott
Associate Member Piano Technicians Guild
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm not Morton...he's probably been dead, like, seventy years...LOL!!

PTG Associate Member

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)
Oh! No!. I see the quote now.

Sorry, JDelmore

Scooter

Scott
Associate Member Piano Technicians Guild
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What is this doing in a Piano Tuner-Technicians forum?

Search the web, I am sure you will find a "Seven Metal Meditation Gong" user group.

JG
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Thanks Scooters,

I like your ideas very much.
"The only way I can decide what note it's playing is to hit the drum, hum the note I hear then go to the piano...it has lots of partials, but your ears (hopefully coupled to your brain) will decide on one main note."

I will use that approach and listen. I am finding no single note but lots of partials.

Supply: the reason this is in this forum is the knowledge possessed by piano technicians isn't found in other arenas!!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sorry, but your question has nothing to do with piano technology or piano technicians.

Humming a note and looking for it on a piano is not an activity piano techs engage in.

Musicians perhaps, composers perhaps, builders of chimes, marimbas and other instruments perhaps, and others I am sure. That is why I suggest a web search - to find the expertise in the field you are talking about.

JG
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
oops, sorry about the double post

Last edited by RPD; 03/12/09 09:06 AM.

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
They're right, you can get better information probably from the manufacturers of gongs or chimes...

What I can tell you is that we purchased a hanging gong in Halifax a couple years ago on a trip, and it rings beautifully. As a percussionist/guitarist, I love the sound. However, it does not actually produce an "in tune" note. I doubt the makers were shooting for reaching an actual pitch...I could use a strobe tuner to dial it in, and the cents adjustment (as mentioned above) to find the actual pitch. But, you won't generally find gongs that ring at exact notes in the western scale.

Jane uses the thing to wake me up in the morning and remind me its time for meditation before our coffee time (meditation and coffee works for me, your mileage may vary!)

Hope some of that helps. If, in the future you ask an acoustic piano related question here, you'll get a better response from more techs...

Enjoy that Gong! RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Download a spectrum analyzer program, might be called RTA.

Even a cheap computer mike will probably give you the fundamental frequency and the overtones.

Sounds like this, where the overtones are not in any simple relationship to the fundamental, can be hard to recognize. Our brains are hardwired to assemble overtones into a "pitch" sensation, including when some overtones are missing, or when the fundamental is missing but sufficient overtones exist to reconstruct it. However, this only works when the overtones have a simple musical relationship (harmonicity), like with a wind instrument, or only small inharmonicity, like a piano.

If you want to go low tech, invite a trombone player over, have him move up and down until he matches. Sometimes an infinitely variable pitch is an advantage, sometimes not!

gotta go practice

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission