2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
There are a lot of reasons cuts or interpretive changes might be made- in plays, music, etc.

Any film version of a Shakespeare play will usually have cuts fro time reasons. Many stagings of plays for the same reason.

I don't understand this blind adherence to the score. It's not very smart or interesting, and in some cases could go against the composers' actual intentions. Beethoven, for example, might stop a descending line, and raise it up an octave because of the limited number of keys on the piano of his day.

What does FF mean on his piano vs a modern instrumnent, and how does that affect how you play FF?

For this type of thing it takes intelligence, judgement, and knowledge. I think a lot of people hide behind the idea of adherence to the score, and use it as an excuse for thinking.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Phlebas
[...] For this type of thing it takes intelligence, judgement, and knowledge. I think a lot of people hide behind the idea of adherence to the score, and use it as an excuse for thinking.

Well, maybe you're on to something here.

I have no education in music, and my knowledge pales in comparison to that of experts and professionals. For me, then, "blind adherence" is erring on the side of caution; I lack the requisite background to make informed decisions about doing otherwise, and would never choose to do so capriciously.

I value skillfulness, and playing safe is far more prudent than risking bad choices.

Steven

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Wood-demon
Originally Posted by sotto voce

I see deliberately loose or contrary interpretation of precisely notated music as self-indulgent transgressiveness for its own sake. I imagine those who defend doing their own thing find faithfulness to and even reverence for a musical score to be backward, retrograde and hopelessly old-fashioned.

Steven

Not at all. Excessive adherence to the composer's score is a very modern concept.

Piano performance has been around for 250 years. I'd say the last 80- 100 years or so there has been a very strong trend towards following the score. That not very modern and it's 40% of the piano's history.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Excessive adherence to the composer's score is a very modern concept.

Oh, dang. I was wrong about building practices, wrong about stagecraft—and now wrong about being old-fashioned, too? Steven

Don't worry! You..like composers and, indeed, myself (who often trips up over the use of English) ..do not belong to the race of gods. grin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I see deliberately loose or contrary interpretation of precisely notated music as self-indulgent transgressiveness for its own sake. I imagine those who defend doing their own thing find faithfulness to and even reverence for a musical score to be backward, retrograde and hopelessly old-fashioned.

Steven

Not at all. Excessive adherence to the composer's score is a very modern concept.

Piano performance has been around for 250 years. I'd say the last 80- 100 years or so there has been a very strong trend towards following the score. That not very modern and it's 40% of the piano's history.

Quite true, but notated music has been around a whole lot longer.

The idea of respecting some-one's creation "In Toto" proves inadequate in consideration of Baroque music. The dearth of directions in most scores would result in some most unattractive performances if players stuck rigidly to only what appears in the composer's manuscript.

I think that since there is a dearth of directions in Baroque music, it's understood that the composer meant for the performer to choose the articulation, dynamics etc. It's not assumed that the dearth of indications means the composer meant to do nothing.

Is Liszt's "pp" the same as Dvorak's "pp"? And, if we play Tchaikovsky's "PPPPP" so that it is audible at all, just how loudly must we play his "ff"s in order to realise the range of his ideas?
It's up to the performer to know/figure out what "pp" meant to each composer. Why would one assume they must mean the same things(I think they mean reasonably close for all composers)? I think a notation of ppppp just means "as soft as possible" and doesn't mean one has to be concerned about the relaitve level of an ff marking.

And how does one cope when asked by Schumann (G minor Sonata) to play "As fast as possible" when later in the score we find a direction to play quicker and in the closing pages an injunction to play faster still? Surely it's down to the taste and judgement of experienced performers to adjust their performances according to the instrument they find themselves playing, the acoustic of the hall, the orchestra they might be working with etc., in order to project the music in the most vivid way to the audience and not to be overly-concerned that every hair-pin in the "Urtext" edition is observed.
I don't think being faithful to the score means "overly concerned to every hairpin".

It is reported that Scriabin played his own Concerto in a tour of around twenty places and played it differently on each occasion. Many would say that it was his right to do so as he was the composer of the work, but I would suggest that this example shows that, for Scriabin at least, his score represented no "one-way" of performing it.
The composer can do what he wishes in any performance of his own work. When things are changed by a performer other than the composer, it is not necessarily a disaster or wrong IMO. Remember this whole discussion began about Lang Lang where many people feel his changes are (a) frequent and (b) not musical. It's a question of degree and frequency.

The fact that a performer cares enough about a work to re-think his interpretation of it in order to make it live and breathe rather than just slavishly following a set of directions every time he wheels it out shows commitment to it rather than contempt, in my view.
Your statement implies that a work cannot "live and breath" if it is faithful to the score. "Slavishly following a set of directions" has a negative connotation, but "following the score" sounds far less negative IMHO.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/12/09 03:50 PM.
Originally Posted by Phlebas

I don't understand this blind adherence to the score.

Wouldn't you agree that the huge majority of professional pianists in the last 70+ years follow the score the huge majority of the time? If not, which pianists would you say don't follow the score a lot of the time?

In the 150 or so master classes I have gone to I have often heard the teacher say something like "Chopin wrote p there, why didn't you play it p?" I have never heard a teacher say "Beethoven wrote f, but I really think you should play that mf".

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The idea of respecting some-one's creation "In Toto" proves inadequate in consideration of Baroque music. The dearth of directions in most scores would result in some most unattractive performances if players stuck rigidly to only what appears in the composer's manuscript.

I think that since there is a dearth of directions in Baroque music, it's understood that the composer meant for the performer to choose the articulation, dynamics etc. It's not assumed that the dearth of indications means the composer meant to do nothing.

Is Liszt's "pp" the same as Dvorak's "pp"? And, if we play Tchaikovsky's "PPPPP" so that it is audible at all, just how loudly must we play his "ff"s in order to realise the range of his ideas?
It's up to the performer to know/figure out what "pp" meant to each composer. Why would one assume they must mean the same things(I think they mean reasonably close for all composers)? I think a notation of ppppp just means "as soft as possible" and doesn't mean one has to be concerned about the relaitve level of an ff marking.

And how does one cope when asked by Schumann (G minor Sonata) to play "As fast as possible" when later in the score we find a direction to play quicker and in the closing pages an injunction to play faster still? Surely it's down to the taste and judgement of experienced performers to adjust their performances according to the instrument they find themselves playing, the acoustic of the hall, the orchestra they might be working with etc., in order to project the music in the most vivid way to the audience and not to be overly-concerned that every hair-pin in the "Urtext" edition is observed.
I don't think being faithful to the score means "overly concerned to every hairpin".

It is reported that Scriabin played his own Concerto in a tour of around twenty places and played it differently on each occasion. Many would say that it was his right to do so as he was the composer of the work, but I would suggest that this example shows that, for Scriabin at least, his score represented no "one-way" of performing it.
The composer can do what he wishes in any performance of his own work. When things are changed by a performer other than the composer, it is not necessarily a disaster or wrong IMO. Remember this whole discussion began about Lang Lang where many people feel his changes are (a) frequent and (b) not musical. It's a question of degree and frequency.

The fact that a performer cares enough about a work to re-think his interpretation of it in order to make it live and breathe rather than just slavishly following a set of directions every time he wheels it out shows commitment to it rather than contempt, in my view.
Your statement implies that a work cannot "live and breath" if it is faithful to the score. "Slavishly following a set of directions" has a negative connotation, but "following the score" sounds far less negative IMHO.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think you've missed my point about Baroque music. I agree with your conclusion.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Here's a repost of my original question.

"Does anyone have any thoughts on the origin of "composer's intent?"

My guess is that it first came about in connection to Mendelssohn's revival of interest in J.S. Bach about 1830. The recovery of other forgotten composers, beginning with say Schubert, may have further reinforced the idea. Musicology and music history being recognized as academic disciplines would also have reinforced the concept. I'd guess that happened in the 1930s. My first real awareness of the concept of composer's intent came from reading Albert Schweitzer's Bach biography when I was in college. I believe that was also written in the 30s. The antiquarian music movement started in the 60s, and that movement too was certainly interested in composer's intent.

Anyone have any thoughts along these lines?"

---------------

So far I'm not getting a lot of response to my query. Mostly we should, or we shouldn't. It's like I just dropped a hockey puck and everybody is hitting it with a stick. That wasn't my "intent."

Perhaps if we understood the genesis of composer's intent we might be able to discuss this without arguing ourselves into corners and ending by agreeing to disagree. But few musical scholars touch on it as far as I have been able to determine. That's why I put the question out there. To see if any of you had any speculative thoughts, or better yet, some real knowledge.

We need to understand its history and tradition. With out that, composer's intent seems like a dictum without authority.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

There's something important that's being lost in this conversation, and that's the fact that composers aren't of a single mind on the issue, either.

Some composers intend for you to follow the score very carefully, and others do not. There are also many instances where composers changed their minds on things. I've worked with many composers and ALL of them welcomed suggestions and alternate interpretations.

I'm actually playing something tonight that I've added octave doublings and changed several dynamic markings - all with the composer's blessing. Even the printed score I'm playing from differs from a 2007 recording of the work.

A person familiar with the 2007 recording, the printed score, and my performance tonight would have a very difficult time answering the question "which of these most closely represents the composer's intent?"

All 3 were intended.

I'm also playing a piece that is meticulously engraved with very specific notes on articulation, tempo, and character. I will be following that score VERY closely, but there are still things in it that are almost impossible to play as written. Most of the recordings of the work sacrifice dynamics and articulation for tempo. I'm going the other route - sacrificing tempo for articulation and shape.

I will report back with the number of people who come up to me after the concert and say "gee, it's a shame you didn't follow the composer's intended tempo, otherwise I would've applauded."

I will also report back with the number of minutes it takes the Artistic Police to arrive and arrest me for Compositional Non-Compliance and throw me in Music Jail.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I guess you could define what you mean by "composers' intent." I have an idea, but i'm not really sure what you mean.

Does it mean a composer having an idea of how he wants his works performed, or performers becoming aware and sensitive to the printed score?

Also, it's the nature of internet forum threads to go in different directions on and off topic.

Originally Posted by Kreisler
Some composers intend for you to follow the score very carefully, and others do not. There are also many instances where composers changed their minds on things. I've worked with many composers and ALL of them welcomed suggestions and alternate interpretations.

Suppose you made a suggestion and the composer said he didn't like it. If you real;y thought it was a good idea, would you still play it your way in a performance?

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I

Wouldn't you agree that the huge majority of professional pianists in the last 70+ years follow the score the huge majority of the time? If not, which pianists would you say don't follow the score a lot of the time?

In the 150 or so master classes I have gone to I have often heard the teacher say something like "Chopin wrote p there, why didn't you play it p?" I have never heard a teacher say "Beethoven wrote f, but I really think you should play that mf".

Yes, I think that performers are very VERY faithful to the score. They said that Horowitz took liberties, but I don't know all that many cases in which he actually changed notes (different from adding lower octaves) in composers who weren't writing for mainly the pianistic effect or virtuosity (Liszt, etc., whose music needs changing sometimes (Vallee d'Obermann, some paraphrases), in my opinion)

Most pianists in the 20th century that I have heard took very few liberties, and some took none: Arrau, Kempff, Argerich, Michelangeli, Perahia, etc.

I think many pianists ignore difficult expression markings, or perhaps don't see them when they are beyond their abilities to play, hence the rampant lack of observance of piano or pianissimo markings. I think it is clearly a technical issue.

Also, with the unbelievable lack of good editions until fairly recently, who knows if a pianist was being faithful or not? One recording I have been wondering about to no end is Glenn Gould's recording of Scriabin's 5th sonata. The chords he blatantly plays wrong I have to assume are wrong in his edition, because he didn't record wrong notes, did he?

No. I'll go ahead and do it their way. Not all the wisest choices come instantly, and I've learned to be a good sport about setting my initial ideas aside and searching for something better.

Suppose you made a suggestion and the composer said he didn't like it. If you real;y thought it was a good idea, would you still play it your way in a performance?

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
There's something important that's being lost in this conversation, and that's the fact that composers aren't of a single mind on the issue, either.

Some composers intend for you to follow the score very carefully, and others do not.

Of course for non living composers it might be harder to know which category they fall in, but do you have an idea about which category some of the major composers for piano from around 1800 to the present fall into(I guess they could be somewhere in between also)? Are some known to have told people they were or were not particular about how closely pianists followed thier score markings?

I'm guessing Debussy and Ravel were in the category of "follow the score very carefully".

Sorry for all the questions, but I like to pick the brains of knowledgable people.

It's an amusing parallel that the Original Poster's Intent seems not to be being followed very closely in this thread!

And in that spirit (sorry!) - touching on the comparison with theatre, if you buy a published script of a play, it's typically the lines that were spoken around about opening night, which could have evolved quite a bit from what the playwright originally produced before casting and rehearsals - and he (/she) will often have had rather little input beyond that stage. Playwrights may argue with directors, but by this stage the director tends to get their wish, even if a playwright states clearly that the director's interpretation is wildly different from their own.

Brodmann BU 125 upright
1880 Blüthner 7'2" grand
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission